U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 PM

733 posts, read 4,496,139 times

Advertisements

No. We don't have any accent or dialect differences at all. Now, why everybody else in the country does, but we don't, I can not explain. LOL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 04:18 PM

77 posts, read 238,051 times
Smile Accent

I never thought that I had a South Dakota accent until I moved to Missouri. I moved here four years ago, and people sometimes ask me where I am from originally because of my accent. I think that it has faded with time, but still is apparent in certain words, mainly words with a long o sound, like 'Dakota' and 'notice.' I don't think it is a bad accent, but is evident to others.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:02 PM

713 posts, read 1,782,280 times
I'm from northwestern PA and I lived in Rapid City for 2 years. There's a slight "Fargo" type accent (if that's what it's called) but it's not very heavy. I found the accent to be pretty "normal" if there is such a thing. One oddity: in SD, "supper" means lunch; I always thought "supper" was just another word for "dinner." Both western PA and western SD folks use the term "pop" for a cabonated soft drink, so that made me feel right at home.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:20 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,730,496 times
Everybody screws that up. hahaha

Get up in the morning and have Breakfast.

At noon, you have a light lunch, or a heavier Dinner.

In the evening, you have Supper.

At least that's the way I was raised in Eastern South Dakota. And yes, down there the "O" is more prounounced then it is in Rapid City.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,879,777 times
If there is a long OOOOO pronunciation, it there because everyone tells OOOOOle and Lena jokes.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:23 PM

713 posts, read 1,782,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Everybody screws that up. hahaha

Get up in the morning and have Breakfast.

At noon, you have a light lunch, or a heavier Dinner.

In the evening, you have Supper.

At least that's the way I was raised in Eastern South Dakota. And yes, down there the "O" is more prounounced then it is in Rapid City.
Oops, I had that backwards, sorry

Old 04-19-2008, 09:45 PM

314 posts, read 890,970 times
Great thread.....If i came out with a guy from the other side of the interstate from me (6 miles away) the difference between us would be you could understand me planely and not him....thick accent changes here over realatively small areas.

When i was in Ohio and Indiana I was told I have a southern accent...never thought I did tho.

Its same as i grew up here in MD/VA Elkhunter
Breakfast
Dinner- big meal middle of the day.
Supper - light snack/meal in evenings.

Cant wait to come out to Dakooota in a coupla weeks.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:05 PM

205 posts, read 694,815 times
Sometimes it is the pronunciation, i.e. I have always said "warsh" for wash. Don't know where the "r" comes from, but that is how my parents pronounced the word!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,705,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
It makes us sound like we say "howdy y'all", "We're fixin' to have dinner", and "Our wrastling team won state"
Okay Chris!! Bein' a Texas transplant (from California) we say "y'all," "fixin' to," and "wrastlin'" but you have to get the context right!!

Y'all = All of YOU to exclude me.

Fixin' to = gettin' ready fer...

Wrastlin' is only done in the bedroom!!

~Rath (haha)

Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,730,496 times
Even up here we know that:

You'all is singular.
All you'all is plural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>