Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 11:57 AM

45 posts, read 33,941 times

Advertisements

Curious your thoughts on this 'campaign' Noem is putting on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 07:23 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChyk View Post
Curious your thoughts on this 'campaign' Noem is putting on.
Simply put, it's been an extremely successful marketing effort emphasizing the advantages of living in and MOVING to South Dakota. You have the freedom here to pursue success for yourself and a better living for your family without your life being stomped on by government idiots.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:51 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
The $5 million dollar Freedom Works Here campaign was created by Go West Media, a firm located in Ohio. This has caused consternation in our state, because several advertising firms located IN South Dakota could have done the work, if the ads were really intended for economic development.

Go West Media is associated with trump strategist Corey Lewandowski.Many believe that the ads are really intended to get Noem's name and face out to the nation at large, as she has federal level political ambitions. (Her very obvious immediate goal is VP for trump.) Even her fellow republicans are asking whether the ads are really campaign ads, which shouldn't have been paid for by state funds.

The truth is, there are a great many low paying jobs available in South Dakota, but not very many well paid higher level jobs. People with skills in the Trades or in professional work can find higher paid employment in other states. However, the national trend of increasing numbers of people who work remotely should benefit our state, as these people can have the higher incomes from their jobs based in another state while enjoying the lower cost of living here.

Interestingly, the pattern of the past decade or so has been retired people moving INTO the state, while young people are moving OUT OF South Dakota. So far South Dakota hasn't been able to stop the brain drain.

A lack of available affordable housing, particularly in the Rapid City area, is a serious problem for new residents, and has caused many who have moved here to leave. Our state definitely needs construction workers!

If you are interested in working in South Dakota it would be useful to keep checking the state's jobs website to see if there are openings in your field, and what the pay levels are: https://www.southdakotaworks.org/vosnet/default.aspx

South Dakota has some great community and technical colleges if you are interested in training in a new field. Our state universities are also very good, especially South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City, and Dakota State University in Madison, which is gaining an excellent reputation in the computer fields.

I've lived in several different states, and the reality is that life is basically the same everywhere I've lived, no many what any political party is doing at any given moment.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
The $5 million dollar Freedom Works Here campaign was created by Go West Media, a firm located in Ohio. This has caused consternation in our state, because several advertising firms located IN South Dakota could have done the work, if the ads were really intended for economic development.

Go West Media is associated with trump strategist Corey Lewandowski.[B]Many believe that the ads are really intended to get Noem's name and face out to the nation at large, as she has federal level political ambitions. (Her very obvious immediate goal is VP for trump.)[/b] Even her fellow republicans are asking whether the ads are really campaign ads, which shouldn't have been paid for by state funds.

The truth is, there are a great many low paying jobs available in South Dakota, but not very many well paid higher level jobs. People with skills in the Trades or in professional work can find higher paid employment in other states. However, the national trend of increasing numbers of people who work remotely should benefit our state, as these people can have the higher incomes from their jobs based in another state while enjoying the lower cost of living here.

Interestingly, the pattern of the past decade or so has been retired people moving INTO the state, while young people are moving OUT OF South Dakota. So far South Dakota hasn't been able to stop the brain drain.

A lack of available affordable housing, particularly in the Rapid City area, is a serious problem for new residents, and has caused many who have moved here to leave. Our state definitely needs construction workers!

If you are interested in working in South Dakota it would be useful to keep checking the state's jobs website to see if there are openings in your field, and what the pay levels are: https://www.southdakotaworks.org/vosnet/default.aspx

South Dakota has some great community and technical colleges if you are interested in training in a new field. Our state universities are also very good, especially South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City, and Dakota State University in Madison, which is gaining an excellent reputation in the computer fields.

I've lived in several different states, and the reality is that life is basically the same everywhere I've lived, no many what any political party is doing at any given moment.
I've no doubt that there is truth to using the ads to develop Noem's resume' nationally. However, at the same time, they were clever and greatly enhanced our state's visibility. It showed SD in a very positive light. Noem has a pretty small, but active, hate squad out there. Much of this is fueled and organized by out of state interests.

We had a pretty good Governor in Dennis Daugaard. Yet, in my opinion, we as a state were very fortunate that Gov. Noem was in office during the time of the Covid mess. I think she handled everything extremely well. It grates at the haters that she has done such a good job marketing our state.

Yes, you can find higher paying jobs nationally than here. THEN you get to pay ridiculous $$$ for housing, insurance, and taxes wiping out the gain. Your dollars goes a heck of a lot farther here than most anywhere. Throw in the safety factor and how we have less government with their jackboots on our neck and we've got a lot to be thankful for in living here.

Old 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
I know nothing about politics and couldn't care less about them. I have lived here most of my life and can't complain about very much. With all the bad things that have come it has also brought many good things.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
I'm looking at you with envy from the dear people's Republic of new yorkistan.

I would love to move to SD. Due to family situations I need to stay somewhere east so I'm looking into Tennessee.

SD is likely the "one that got away" for me. I think I would love it but I don't think it's in the cards for me.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:43 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

Go West Media is associated with trump strategist Corey Lewandowski.Many believe that the ads are really intended to get Noem's name and face out to the nation at large, as she has federal level political ambitions. (Her very obvious immediate goal is VP for trump.) Even her fellow republicans are asking whether the ads are really campaign ads, which shouldn't have been paid for by state funds.

100%. Born and raised in SD with deep roots there (5th generation), but left for better/ more career opportunities. Being from a Daschle Democrat family, it pains me to see SD hang its hat on recruiting the radically far-right in recent years.

And I honestly question whether the cost of living really *is* that much lower in SD anymore-- housing costs in Sioux Falls area really don't seem that far off from here in Minneapolis, and wages in Minneapolis are SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:50 PM

45 posts, read 33,941 times
Is anyone worried about what kind of 'riff-raff' could be coming with this? Meaning - people see 'freedom' in the campaign slogan - and think less police presence and all of the sudden we have a lot of crime? I'm not saying it will happen, but it's definitely something to think about, no?

Old 12-08-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChyk View Post
Is anyone worried about what kind of 'riff-raff' could be coming with this? Meaning - people see 'freedom' in the campaign slogan - and think less police presence and all of the sudden we have a lot of crime? I'm not saying it will happen, but it's definitely something to think about, no?
The ads emphasize that we're open for BUSINESS. We're accepting many professional licenses from other states. No where do they say to come here and not work. This is one of the LAST places that deadbeats want to move to. Incentives are few here if you don't want to be a productive citizen and face it, hanging out here homeless during the winter isn't for the faint of heart.

You're going to find a stronger police presence here per capita than almost anywhere in the U.S. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think otherwise.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:20 AM

414 posts, read 972,022 times
It appears the campaign was developed by an out of state agency however the ad where she is a welder appears to have been stolen from a Sioux Falls agency. This info in in the local papers. One of the people she bragged about getting to come to South Dakota turns out to be 62 and has not yet moved. I think the campaign is more about getting her face out there as a potential VP pick for Trump. IMHO the state gave her a $5,000,000 slush fun doing this. So far there is not data proving the program is working or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota