Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 18,466 times

Advertisements

My late Grandfather carved an alter (took 5 years), and a Niobrara cross for "the Ascension Chapel at St. Mary's School for Indian Girls at Springfield."
I would like to go see both, but can not find that school.

I only recently acquired a copy of the newspaper article and would like to find out what happened to the carvings if the school has been torn down, etc.

Hoping some of you may know. I am not sure, but think this article dates
to between 1975-1985.

the name of that school ringing a bell with any of you South Dakotans??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
Quote:
The Springfield Historical Society Museum displays a large variety and an accurate collection of the community's history. Some of the features you will see at the museum are: Collection of Antique Horse-drawn Farm Machinery; Dental Office 1910 X-ray Machine; St. Mary's School for Indian Girls artifacts; Model Main Street; and Largest Collection of Sea Shells in the Midwest, more than 5000 Shells from All Over the World.
Springfield Historical Society Museum Springfield South Dakota

good luck!!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
http://www.thejumpingfrog.com/si/1210419.html

Association of South Dakota Museums...Museum Details

County Government Records

Looking over the sdhistory.org link, there was a St. Mary's "Caretakers Cottage" and a main building. And its a County Government Record.
It's in Bon Homme County... I would try and contact them.. The county seat is Tyndall.

More links I found:
Virginia Driving Hawk Sneve's Biography | Red Room - Where the Writers Are
She graduated from St Marys in 1950.

WASP OLA REXROAT

Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,070 times
St Mary's closed quite awhile back. The facility is now a privately owned detention center for male juveniles. I'm not sure if they still have a chapel....probably need one! Springfield does have a active historical society. I would contact them. In the '80's Springfield took several blows to their community. The USD-S was closed and converted into a minimum security prison and they lost their high school. I think St. Mary's closed in that time frame also...but don't quote me on that!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 20,733 times
I read your post while trying to find Tiffany LaPlante's site on the St. Mary's School for Indian Girls. Tiffany included a whole section on your grandfather's altar and how it has been moved to the Episcopal church on Tiffany's reservation. I am not sure what Tiffany will be doing with the St. Mary's post. There is discussion of organizing another reunion of St. Mary's people.
I was a teacher, coach, and administrator during the last year of the school. I did some historical work on the end of the institution while at graduate school at the University of South Dakota. I helped with recommendation for former students once the school closed.
I hope that some kind of gathering gets organized. I hope that you have better luck finding Tiffany's latest site.

Dave Kemp

Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 10,370 times
Default St Mary's School

I read all thread messages. I am a former secretary at the school in l976 for then headmaster Kenyon Cull and his wife. I operated the addressograph when we sent The Bugle out. Then Mr. Cull would send or take many copies to the Daughters of American Revolution Convention and also talk to others in Washington, DC to solicit funding for St. Mary's.
The Culls had two children, Bruce Cull and Joy was married already in l976.

I went back to Springfield, SD in the 90's. Yes it is another school. I would like to see a gathering there as mentioned by someone who is trying to organize one. There may be artifacts missed especially if Kenyon and Prisca's offices have not been totally redone and all the storage areas and all closets in the classrooms. Sometimes people just put things in boxes, even out in the storage sheds out back. I am not sure just how much storage area is left there. One would have to contact the present owners to look.

Local board members in or around the area were at the time and some may still be there or family may be there are: Vera Tucker, Russ? Howe, Wynn Speece of Yankton, ? The name Meredith seems to come to mind here? If I remember correctly and I am not sure if she is the board member or another lady, but one of them has a daughter married to Tom Brokaw I think? I tried to go online and find Springfield, SD White pages to peruse the pages but all I could get was a box where I had to put the name in which is what I cannot remember! I am going to bookmark this site and look through all old materials and see what names I can find. Maybe even pictures. I think I have an old The Bugle somewhere.

very friendly librarian who husband taught at USD Springfield which is now a prison, Dorothy LeBeau who was a student and staff member. Aletha Buchanan was 5th and 6th grade teacher. One of the house mothers made and sold beautiful bead necklaces, one of which I purchased. I will search and see if I can find her name.

Students who could be contacted that I knew are Suzanne Fire Thunder, Esther Iron Cloud, Madelyn Day, Marlene Zamora,

The cook's name was Dorothy Dunmire. At the time she lived across the street from the school.

I will enter more information as I find it or recollect it. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 20,733 times
The myspace site on St. Mary's School For Indian Girls is backup. You can access it at myspace.com/stmaryspringfield
Tiffany LaPlante created the site. She is also back on myspace.com

Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 20,284 times
The carved alter is here in Eagle Butte, S.D. Cheyenne River Reservation. Yes, I was really excited about trying to organize a reunion last year, but my son passed away this past March and things have been put on hold for now....Sorry. I visited the school in 1992 and it was so sad! The chapel was empty except for the piano and all the doors are electronic. I did see the handyman Mr. Schwaanzinger? The bluffs are fenced off and most of the playground equipment is gone along with the recreation room and old dorms.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 AM

2 posts, read 20,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne4good View Post
My late Grandfather carved an alter (took 5 years), and a Niobrara cross for "the Ascension Chapel at St. Mary's School for Indian Girls at Springfield."
I would like to go see both, but can not find that school.

I only recently acquired a copy of the newspaper article and would like to find out what happened to the carvings if the school has been torn down, etc.

Hoping some of you may know. I am not sure, but think this article dates
to between 1975-1985.

the name of that school ringing a bell with any of you South Dakotans??
The altar and cross are here at St. Johns Episcopal Church in Eagle Butte, S.D. and there is a lovely story to tell with it. Your Grandfather and Grandmother were two of my very favorite people back in 1985-86 the last two years that St. Marys' was open. God Bless You!
Tiffany LaPlante
Box 783
Eagle Butte, S.D. 57625

Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 9,454 times
When I was a child in the 1960's-70's, our family who lived in Poland, Ohio would sponser an Indian girl every summer. My mother is a member of the DAR and we are Episcopalian, so that is how we knew about the school. We still keep in touch with several of the girls who lived with us. When I was in the second grade we made a trip to Springfield to see the school and pick up our "sister" for the summer. I remember Mr. and Mrs. Cull. It would have been around 1968 or so. The experiences of having those girls in our lives were truly monumental for us. We learned so much from them and hopefully they learned from us. I am sorry to hear about the school, but with such tough economic times it is not surprising. I hear of so many people making "mission trips" to Africa and South America. What about helping our poor and underprivledged right here in our own country!!! I am so sick of these movie stars going outside the country to adopt some poor child. What about right here???? There are so many children who need help right here!!!! Am I just crazy or is there anything that can be done to point out the destitution in our own country and the misuse of welfare and other funds that go to the wrong poeple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota