Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:25 PM

273 posts, read 103,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
But since 2010, when the short-sighted, poorly educated, tea party crazies began gaining power in Congress...
Your post made some valid points, but I think you need to be careful when comparing educational levels today to those in the past.

The Tea Party members tend to be older and were educated before our educational system was as dumbed down as it is today. A high school education years ago is probably the equivalent of a college education today. Schools used to concentrate on skills rather than political indoctrination.

Today, anyone with a pulse can get a college degree. But, it wasn't always like that. There's a reason that businesses are increasingly reluctant to hire today's college graduates.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
I understand some SD residents think they're better than big city dwellers in the east and the other 45 states, but it seems that state leadership refusal to issue a stay at home order is akin to abdication of responsibility. And so I ask... what would be the number of Covid19 deaths that would be enough to take a stand and limit the carnage in South Dakota. Is she doing ANYTHING to save those most at risk? Not attacking, just want to know.

It is, like it or not, also a matter of national security. The failed just in time processing used at Smithfield is leading to the possibility of a chain of processing plant closures and that might lead to food shortage throughout the United States. Believe me, I'm leary of all govt and when the government says one thing in an emergency, they usually mean just the opposite. Everything is under control, go back to work in the south tower, they said. The air is fine in lower Manhattan, nothing to worry about, said federal agencies. There's no need for regular civilians to wear a mask at Ground Zero in the midst of this global pandemic as masks are only for other people said Trump's doctors.

Whatever number of citizens who are considered expendable by your Gov and the whole admin, our hearts go out to the broken families left behind.

Not trying to stomp on anyones liberty, just concerned about saving someones life. Thoughts?
Interestingly, this thread and another relevant one were updated simultaneously. Two months have gone by since this thread was started. Most states are well on their way to reopening. In some, like California, new cases are spiking now that lock downs are being lifted. They are reacting by accelerating their reopening:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...d-15357808.php

What is your take on San Francisco accelerating reopening in the face of spiking covid-19 cases?

The death rate from covid-19 in South Dakota is among the lowest in the nation:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/co...united-states/

Do you still feel South Dakota's governor treated residents of the state as expendable? Or do you now believe the Governor looked at South Dakota's situation in particular and made decisions based on the facts specific to the state? Do you feel the San Francisco city government is treating their residents as expendable?

Old 07-01-2020, 08:41 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I always curious how Libertarian is SD. Though I learned While SD did not issue stay at home. On the flip side, during the Pandemic South Dakota’s house and senate and the same governor passed a sweeping law(misdemeanor) on use of handheld cellphones for any function in the middle of COVID 19. I am surprised as this isn’t the norm in states on this part of the US. And that only 21 other states have such sweeping measures as of today and they are mostly coastside. Ironically Uber Progressive and urbanized MA with much of population living in Boston area, only passed something similar last year. Just a few years ago S.D. had no law whatsoever regarding Phones or electronic devices. I always would thought that South Dakota would be the last to have this among their neighbors. This along with helping the repeal of the Interstate taxation rules of 1992 made me disappointed with this state. I am thinking despite SD’s Libertarian Approach on COVID19 the state is changing not in a good way, must be increased arm twisting these days. Apparently a sob story of some kid in a pickup who died crashing into a truck is only a part of it. Not that a law would had saved him in anyway.

I be curious whether declaring a shelter in place would has done anything to the Smithfield foods as likely they would be considered essential and be forced to work in the same conditions. I am more beginning to think the virus is coming in the shipping containers Just like anthrax back in 2001 thus getting people sick in places where they pretty much had no contact with international travelers or the outside world.

As far as I can see SD had been a safe haven from many kneejerk movements around the country/world for years but it seems at risk these days. I be curious what this mean for those who Domicile in S.D. to live all over. I be curious is the tide turning?

Old 10-10-2020, 05:02 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Gov Noem says things are under control but South Dakota’s rise in daily infections and deaths indicate things are going to be dire in the next 4-5 weeks.
Deaths went from 1 to 2 a day to 13.
Daily infection results have gone from around 50 a day to 750 and 1000.

Hospitalization lags by 2-4 weeks and deaths lag 4-5 weeks. So today’s numbers reflect daily infections of about 200.

If you all don’t get the numbers down from 750-1000 soon mid November is going to find South Dakota in viral carnage.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:34 PM

249 posts, read 242,152 times
If I understand your post correctly, we could be looking at 150 or so deaths per day in 3 wks or so. Is that reasonably accurate?

Old 10-11-2020, 05:00 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Gov Noem says things are under control but South Dakota’s rise in daily infections and deaths indicate things are going to be dire in the next 4-5 weeks.
Deaths went from 1 to 2 a day to 13.
Daily infection results have gone from around 50 a day to 750 and 1000.

Hospitalization lags by 2-4 weeks and deaths lag 4-5 weeks. So today’s numbers reflect daily infections of about 200.

If you all don’t get the numbers down from 750-1000 soon mid November is going to find South Dakota in viral carnage.
How can you blame Gov Noem when it is the moron citizens who are not taking precautions. You can't fix the stupid and self entitled morons.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:35 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
If I understand your post correctly, we could be looking at 150 or so deaths per day in 3 wks or so. Is that reasonably accurate?
I think more like 30-40 deaths per day.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:59 PM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
How can you blame Gov Noem when it is the moron citizens who are not taking precautions. You can't fix the stupid and self entitled morons.
Just a guess here, but you might be able to blame noem since she is an active promoter, and cheerleader for the stupid, self-entitled, moronic behavior that her followers engage in. From the first outbreaks in SF to the rally and beyond, her idiotic mini-trump behavior got the state to the point that it is. It didn't have to be this way, but that what the right, trump and governors like noem obviously desire, since they refuse to engage science or reality.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:50 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Just a guess here, but you might be able to blame noem since she is an active promoter, and cheerleader for the stupid, self-entitled, moronic behavior that her followers engage in. From the first outbreaks in SF to the rally and beyond, her idiotic mini-trump behavior got the state to the point that it is. It didn't have to be this way, but that what the right, trump and governors like noem obviously desire, since they refuse to engage science or reality.
LOL, since when did anybody but a few people care what the elected leaders want, let alone do what is good for anyone but themselves? But hey lets blame the problem on someone who really has zero control on what really happens. Imagine the hissy fits that would have happened if real measures were enacted here like in countries that the virus has been controlled.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:10 AM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
LOL, since when did anybody but a few people care what the elected leaders want, let alone do what is good for anyone but themselves? But hey lets blame the problem on someone who really has zero control on what really happens. Imagine the hissy fits that would have happened if real measures were enacted here like in countries that the virus has been controlled.
Here in the northeast, the MAJORITY care what elected leaders have to say, and do what's normal rational adults do when faced with a crisis, that being act like adults and follow experts. The result of not being delusional, ignorant, self-centered fools, you ask? Well, at the moment, SD is running a per capita new case rate that is 775% higher than my state, and 1150% higher than my county.

What did Forest Gump have to say about stupid? "Stupid is as stupid does". Hey, how about another bike rally, or maybe just pack everybody into airplane hangers, nice and tight, with no masks, to worship dear leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota