U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2020, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
5,574 posts, read 2,547,872 times
Reputation: 8945

Advertisements

Better to die free than live as a slave.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-21-2020, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Súðavík
155 posts, read 70,582 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Or in South America, where Peru, with it's strict lockdown and masking, is leading the world in deaths per million? (Followed by a bunch more locked-down and masked countries)
Or like Alaska which opened its airspace to visitors in June. Has had very few cases. Most people are outside, as they are here in Iceland too. The fear is that once it gets colder, and people go inside (like during the early lockdown) they'll get sick again. Between the indoor humidity and being in large family groups, the flu will devastate them.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/10/21/worried...utionary-tale/

In the Territories of Canada, there have been very few if any cases of SARS and no deaths. Why - everyone is outside and it's COLD
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-23-2020, 03:52 PM
 
1,781 posts, read 2,928,389 times
Reputation: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I note in your diatribe you don't happen to mention New York (and several other states) requiring nursing homes to admit patients with contagious covid-19 infections. They certainly have the results to show for it:

New York: 1720 deaths / million


Compared to South Dakota:

South Dakota: 356 deaths / million


It's obvious your comments are simply political and not meant to be constructive in any way. If you want to rant about politics, there's a forum for that.
It’s not politics it’s science

https://www.yahoo.com/news/columbia-...025212680.html

“In the report, titled “130,000–210,000 Avoidable COVID-19 Deaths—and Counting—in the U.S.”, researchers at Columbia’s NCDP studied “the staggering and disproportionate nature of COVID-19 fatalities in the United States.”

The researchers compared the coronavirus response of the U.S. to that of six other countries— South Korea, Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, and France—and found that the American government’s response to the pandemic rated unfavorably against them all. The U.S. has suffered a COVID-19 fatality rate more than double that of Canada and 50 times that of Japan. Extrapolating from the deaths per 100,000 people in each country, the researchers estimated how the U.S. might have fared had it followed the example of a more robust response. The answer: always better than it did in reality.”

NY has much more dense urban areas in the state And nyc is an international financial center which was hit early before effective management and best practices for covid 19

South Dakota is a more rural state isolated from international travelers and is just now starting to be impacted by covid with new records for cases the last 2 days

“South Dakota is second -- only to North Dakota -- in the number of coronavirus cases per 100,000 people. On Friday, the state reported more than 1,100 new cases, breaking a single-day record set the day before when 973 cases were reported. Cases have increased by 51% over the last two weeks, according to The New York Times. Of the 10 hottest spots for the virus, as tabulated by the Times, six are cities in South Dakota.”


https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/polit...rus/index.html

There are not a lot of pulmonologist,intensivist and critical Care specialist In South Dakota. So as the hospitals fill up they will be come overwhelmed and some of them will also contract covid.

When the physicians and nurses contract covid and have to leave the hospital for At least 10 days That’s when treatment will suffers and deaths increase

Moen is lying to you and I am just watching to see how many deaths will need to occur before she changes course. It’s like watching a train wreck.. you don’t want to see the death and destruction but you just can’t look away
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-24-2020, 04:56 PM
 
Location: The Southern Hills
192 posts, read 77,335 times
Reputation: 380
That is Noem.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-24-2020, 09:28 PM
 
794 posts, read 270,696 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
That is Noem.
That is how someone who has nothing better to do than talk down to people in another state spells. Kinda impressed they got that close. But hey, as long as it makes them feel better about themselves it's all doog.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-28-2020, 11:30 AM
 
113 posts, read 80,147 times
Reputation: 208
I've come to regret starting this thread. My apologies to all. Name-calling is among the lowest forms of wit and I teach my kids to be better than this.

The truth is we should all have been working all of these eight-plus months, to protect one another. Looking out for one another -- that's what civilized people DO! How it became an embarrassing squabble and name-calling and dividing ourselves along political lines is -- well, unfortunate. We're better than this as the world ridicules us.

The best of humanity would have come together and squashed this thing back in March, instead of every state doing their own thing. It was only a matter of time before South Dakota would get slammed. NOW is that time. It's not bad compared to other states but if you're the child or the widow of the hundreds who have perished, the death toll is way too high.

Even though NOW we have a better handle on how to TREAT Covid-19, and we learned due to the terribly high price paid by New Yorkers and other early hot spots -- still too many South Dakotans are losing family members. To those who sacrificed your family members so others could express their "freedom" to go maskless, my condolences that you paid the ultimate price due to your neighbors selfishness.

My guess is until we all grow up and act in unison, we'll keep passing this thing back and forth until it dies out next summer. That's ANOTHER 8+ months away.

Lastly, we're all Americans. We're all entitled to express ourselves on this site. I've seen that sort of ugly provincialism where you aren't able to express your opinion because of where you're born and we deserve better than that. I've never met a person who doesn't have an opinion about New York and it's often not pleasant -- we have to grin and bear it and know there may be a bit of truth to it. Who amongst us is perfect?

So can we all just come together. Put your machismo aside and for the sake of your family or neighbors, put on the mask. Putting on a mask isn't going to kill you or make you look weak. It looked like SD's sparse population was going to save you, but it isn't saving everyone. In fact, too many are paying too high a price.

Sadly, the worst is yet to come and the winter is going to be long, dark and grim. Good luck!

Last edited by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu; 10-28-2020 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-28-2020, 04:20 PM
 
794 posts, read 270,696 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
I've come to regret starting this thread. My apologies to all. Name-calling is among the lowest forms of wit and I teach my kids to be better than this.

The truth is we should all have been working all of these eight-plus months, to protect one another. Looking out for one another -- that's what civilized people DO! How it became an embarrassing squabble and name-calling and dividing ourselves along political lines is -- well, unfortunate. We're better than this as the world ridicules us.

The best of humanity would have come together and squashed this thing back in March, instead of every state doing their own thing. It was only a matter of time before South Dakota would get slammed. NOW is that time. It's not bad compared to other states but if you're the child or the widow of the hundreds who have perished, the death toll is way too high.

Even though NOW we have a better handle on how to TREAT Covid-19, and we learned due to the terribly high price paid by New Yorkers and other early hot spots -- still too many South Dakotans are losing family members. To those who sacrificed your family members so others could express their "freedom" to go maskless, my condolences that you paid the ultimate price due to your neighbors selfishness.

My guess is until we all grow up and act in unison, we'll keep passing this thing back and forth until it dies out next summer. That's ANOTHER 8+ months away.

Lastly, we're all Americans. We're all entitled to express ourselves on this site. I've seen that sort of ugly provincialism where you aren't able to express your opinion because of where you're born and we deserve better than that. I've never met a person who doesn't have an opinion about New York and it's often not pleasant -- we have to grin and bear it and know there may be a bit of truth to it. Who amongst us is perfect?

So can we all just come together. Put your machismo aside and for the sake of your family or neighbors, put on the mask. Putting on a mask isn't going to kill you or make you look weak. It looked like SD's sparse population was going to save you, but it isn't saving everyone. In fact, too many are paying too high a price.

Sadly, the worst is yet to come and the winter is going to be long, dark and grim. Good luck!
Great post! We all have problems for sure. Now if you can, go order some take out or delivery from a locally owned restaurant.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 PM
 
2,147 posts, read 1,582,396 times
Reputation: 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
I've come to regret starting this thread. My apologies to all. Name-calling is among the lowest forms of wit and I teach my kids to be better than this.

The truth is we should all have been working all of these eight-plus months, to protect one another. Looking out for one another -- that's what civilized people DO! How it became an embarrassing squabble and name-calling and dividing ourselves along political lines is -- well, unfortunate. We're better than this as the world ridicules us.

The best of humanity would have come together and squashed this thing back in March, instead of every state doing their own thing. It was only a matter of time before South Dakota would get slammed. NOW is that time. It's not bad compared to other states but if you're the child or the widow of the hundreds who have perished, the death toll is way too high.

Even though NOW we have a better handle on how to TREAT Covid-19, and we learned due to the terribly high price paid by New Yorkers and other early hot spots -- still too many South Dakotans are losing family members. To those who sacrificed your family members so others could express their "freedom" to go maskless, my condolences that you paid the ultimate price due to your neighbors selfishness.

My guess is until we all grow up and act in unison, we'll keep passing this thing back and forth until it dies out next summer. That's ANOTHER 8+ months away.

Lastly, we're all Americans. We're all entitled to express ourselves on this site. I've seen that sort of ugly provincialism where you aren't able to express your opinion because of where you're born and we deserve better than that. I've never met a person who doesn't have an opinion about New York and it's often not pleasant -- we have to grin and bear it and know there may be a bit of truth to it. Who amongst us is perfect?

So can we all just come together. Put your machismo aside and for the sake of your family or neighbors, put on the mask. Putting on a mask isn't going to kill you or make you look weak. It looked like SD's sparse population was going to save you, but it isn't saving everyone. In fact, too many are paying too high a price.

Sadly, the worst is yet to come and the winter is going to be long, dark and grim. Good luck!
What alternative do you suggest (please be explicit)? Leave the country in a complete lockdown until there's a vaccine and everyone takes it, no matter how long that is? And please don't say something completely unprovable, like "If only we had all worn masks from the beginning no one would have died."

Here's some information on how things are going in Germany and France that you may be unaware of. The country-wide hard lock downs they took in the Spring don't seem to have left them in very good shape to avoid a second wave.

Is New York sacrificing loved ones due to their neighbors' selfishness? They seem to be having more trouble with covid than anyone (except perhaps New Jersey).

Starting (and continuing) a thread to make a politically motivated attack thinly disguised as concern for others is very, very sad.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-29-2020, 04:54 PM
 
1,781 posts, read 2,928,389 times
Reputation: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
What alternative do you suggest (please be explicit)? Leave the country in a complete lockdown until there's a vaccine and everyone takes it, no matter how long that is? And please don't say something completely unprovable, like "If only we had all worn masks from the beginning no one would have died."

Here's some information on how things are going in Germany and France that you may be unaware of. The country-wide hard lock downs they took in the Spring don't seem to have left them in very good shape to avoid a second wave.

Is New York sacrificing loved ones due to their neighbors' selfishness? They seem to be having more trouble with covid than anyone (except perhaps New Jersey).

Starting (and continuing) a thread to make a politically motivated attack thinly disguised as concern for others is very, very sad.
Lives are at stake p. It’s science not politics

Other countries controlled covid deaths and their economic was equal or better to USA. They contained Covid limited deaths , limited the economic impact and were able to safely begin to reopen

In the report, titled “130,000–210,000 Avoidable COVID-19 Deaths—and Counting—in the U.S.”, researchers at Columbia’s NCDP studied “the staggering and disproportionate nature of COVID-19 fatalities in the United States.”

The researchers compared the coronavirus response of the U.S. to that of six other countries— South Korea, Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, and France—and found that the American government’s response to the pandemic rated unfavorably against them all. The U.S. has suffered a COVID-19 fatality rate more than double that of Canada and 50 times that of Japan. Extrapolating from the deaths per 100,000 people in each country, the researchers estimated how the U.S. might have fared had it followed the example of a more robust response. The answer: always better than it did in reality.”

South Korea 443 deaths / population 51.3 million **** adjusted to USA population 2,866 deaths

Australia 904 deaths/ pop 24.9 million **** adjusted to USA population 11,980 deaths

Japan 1664 deaths /pop 125.9 million **** adjusted to USA population 4392 deaths

Germany 9773 deaths/ pop 83 million **** adjusted to USA population 38,856 deaths

Why do trump supporters act as if other countries have not succeeded in controlling covid and maintain their economy similar or better than USA?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-29-2020, 05:20 PM
 
2,147 posts, read 1,582,396 times
Reputation: 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Lives are at stake p. It’s science not politics

Other countries controlled covid deaths and their economic was equal or better to USA. They contained Covid limited deaths , limited the economic impact and were able to safely begin to reopen

In the report, titled “130,000–210,000 Avoidable COVID-19 Deaths—and Counting—in the U.S.”, researchers at Columbia’s NCDP studied “the staggering and disproportionate nature of COVID-19 fatalities in the United States.”

The researchers compared the coronavirus response of the U.S. to that of six other countries— South Korea, Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, and France—and found that the American government’s response to the pandemic rated unfavorably against them all. The U.S. has suffered a COVID-19 fatality rate more than double that of Canada and 50 times that of Japan. Extrapolating from the deaths per 100,000 people in each country, the researchers estimated how the U.S. might have fared had it followed the example of a more robust response. The answer: always better than it did in reality.”

South Korea 443 deaths / population 51.3 million **** adjusted to USA population 2,866 deaths

Australia 904 deaths/ pop 24.9 million **** adjusted to USA population 11,980 deaths

Japan 1664 deaths /pop 125.9 million **** adjusted to USA population 4392 deaths

Germany 9773 deaths/ pop 83 million **** adjusted to USA population 38,856 deaths

Why do trump supporters act as if other countries have not succeeded in controlling covid and maintain their economy similar or better than USA?
Did you even read the link I posted above? Germany and France are back in hard lock downs. Spain, Italy, the UK, Belgium, and most countries in Europe have comparable death rates to the USA.

The constant claims that other countries have fared better, or that some known measure short of endless hard lock downs, would have led to a better outcome for the US is fantasy based on false data. Europe has fared no better, and they went the hard lock down route. Sure, not every country is identical, and you can cherry pick data to find the ones with slightly better outcomes. But that's politics, not reality.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top