Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:51 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I would say that you can't treat the average person like an adult. They are too self centered and dumb to care about anything but their own wants. Then when something bad happens they don't take any responsibility for their own actions and blame others.

The above post is a perfect example why we can't blame the President, Governors, or any public official.
Unfortunately, many public officials share your attitude that their constituents are stupid, selfish children.

The above post is a perfect example of why we have checks and balances in government. A slew of COVID executive orders in other states have been found unconstitutional in courts and voided.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Freedom == you get to make your own choices, and accept the consequences, good or bad.

Not letting people make their own choices == not free

We get to choose only one. 1) Let people make their own choices, knowing in advance some will undoubtedly make unwise choices, or 2) accept loss of freedom.
Can't rep you again.

People who aren't afraid of the virus should be free to go out. People who ARE afraid of the virus are free to stay in, to seek another job that would reduce their risk of infection, to ask for help. They're free to wear an N-95 respirator in public. For all the agonizing over spreading the illness, I've seen only one person in public wearing a respirator--and yes, they've been available at reasonable prices for some months now.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
The number of non-residents who feel the need to discuss what happens in our state here is very odd.

There was an interesting article in South Dakota Magazine recently. The article was about the 1918/19 Spanish Influenza epidemic. The author described how the government asked the citizens to wear masks then. The majority of South Dakotans complied, and did indeed wear masks during that pandemic.

I always think about current events in light of historical events. What is going on in 2020 that makes current residents less willing to wear masks than their great-grandparents were?

I think many factors are at play, not the least of which is that covid19 hasn't been as lethal to white males under 50.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 11-07-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-07-2020, 12:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There was an interesting article in South Dakota Magazine recently. The article was about the 1918/19 Spanish Influenza epidemic. The author described how the government asked the citizens to wear masks then. The majority of South Dakotans complied, and did indeed wear masks during that pandemic.

I always think about current events in light of historical events. What is going on in 2020 that makes current residents less willing to wear masks than their great-grandparents were?
There is no mask mandate in South Dakota this time, so why do you think people are less willing to wear a mask than their grandparents?

From this paper from the South Dakota state government, people weren't entirely compliant with the sanitation mandates in 1918:

' The Home Guard (the equivalent of today’s National Guard) roamed through the streets of Rapid City, fining and arresting people who were not abiding by the cities newly created “sanitation laws.” City residence were fined or arrested for “expectorating” (spitting) on the sidewalks of Rapid City. As the local paper noted, “The Guard will be out in full force today to see that there is no breaking of the quarantine regulations.” On October 27, 1918, one Rapid City man was charged with “flagrant violation of the anti-spitting ordinance.” Even a Rapid City police officer was arrested by the Home Guard for violating the anti-spitting ordinance and paid the customary fine of $6. '

Quote:
I think many factors are at play, not the least of which is that covid19 hasn't been as lethal to white males under 50.
The bolded shows clearly you aren't serious, you're just throwing around nonsensical political attacks. covid-19 hasn't been as lethal to any group as the 1918 flu, except people with severe medical problems. Healthy young men in the military were among the most frequent victims. Again from the linked article above:

' Newspapers also ran daily accounts from military camps where the flu was out of control. The bodies of soldiers who died of the flu at camp were shipped back to their home state. The spreading of the flu in military camps was so out of hand that Provost Marshall General E. H. Crowder cancelled draft calls in October. '

[...]

' The flu accounted for 28 percent of the total number of deaths (6,728) in South Dakota in 1918. “The scary thing is that the Spanish Flu hit South Dakota in early October of 1918,” explains Matthew T. Reitzel, manuscript archivist for the South Dakota State Historical Society-Archives at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. “The Department of Vital Statistics calculated its findings at the end of December. That means a vast majority of the 1,847 flu related deaths occurred in a three month time span.” '

' “It should also be noted that several individuals contracted the Spanish flu but died from pneumonia.” Reitzel added. “If you calculate the number of influenza deaths in 1918 plus those who died from pneumonia, the total number of deaths rises to 2,391 or 36 percent of total deaths in South Dakota for 1918. To put it another way, if you take 36 percent of the total number of deaths in the state for 2003 (7,109) you would have had 2,559 flu and pneumonia related deaths in South Dakota for that year.” '

Your post is mainly just hysterical, unsubstantiated political attacks, but it does show one thing very clearly. Covid-19 has been thoroughly politicized from the beginning.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The number of non-residents who feel the need to discuss what happens in our state here is very odd.
When your state does something unusual, it will attract attention and therefore discussion.

The fact that healthy young people aren't waking up hale and hardy but dying by sundown, as they did during the Spanish Flu epidemic, might account for some laxity.

Old 11-07-2020, 11:02 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
I was in SD about a month ago and thank the people there I felt normal and they were great. I agree, most were like if you are scared go home. Thankfully, we aren't having to tiptoe around those that feel they should go out and everyone should put a barrier around them. By the way, many were from SD and many were from out of state just looking for normalcy.

Most are done with this mask crap and that and trying to make every state conform when states with masks don't have anything to brag about. Leave the states that want to do it differently alone. It is great when a governor doesn't act like Hitler and overstep her/his powers and declare a state of emergency for a slightly higher death rate. At that point just do it every winter. I will gladly support SD and spent my money there for not letting a virus control them. For those states that think they can control a virus good luck, I have yet to see it happen.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:19 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Quote:

In the area of SD I live in it could be because we only have a handful of under 50 white males left.

The area I live in got hit the hardest first. Everyone then took it real serious for a short time. Our numbers dropped, then everyone decided it was no big deal. Then the numbers went back up again. I know several people including my brother who had it. They all said it was horrible.

For me the weirdest part is how it spreads. These are both real examples I personally know of. Sometimes a group of people can be in a room and have one person with Covid and everyone gets it. Then my neighbor and his wife didn't get it but both of their kids did.

Personally I am over 50, fat, and have diabetes so I take it very seriously.

I also find it sad how people from other stats come to the SD section and make derogatory statements when they could make the exact same posts in the state section they live in.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:26 AM

249 posts, read 241,901 times
I think a lot of the out of state attention can be attributed to our current governor and her recent and her recent out-of-state campaign efforts on behalf of our prez. If so, this should be another passing phase.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:49 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"The number of non-residents who feel the need to discuss what happens in our state here is very odd."....perhaps like me, they are previous residents/registered voters/property owners. Perhaps they have relatives in SD....but regardless it is an open discussion. And like Dick13 intimated, your current governor has excess baggage, I'm curious about how she will shed it.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-10-2020, 04:27 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Voices from the Pandemic

‘Election Day is over, and guess what?’

Tom Dean, a physician, on the dire situation in South Dakota

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...n/?arc404=true

"Election Day is over, and guess what? The virus is still here. It didn’t just go away like the president said. We’re not rounding any corners. Nobody I know in South Dakota stopped talking about it because the voting is done. How could we? It’s right in our faces. It’s spreading. It keeps getting worse."

"My dad was over 100. My parents lived a good life, and they were at the end of their road. They got married 76 years ago during World War II once they’d finally saved up enough of their sugar rations to bake a proper wedding cake. They loved telling that story. Everybody was sacrificing for the war. It was a national effort. They were proud of it. The country had bigger problems, and their wedding cake could wait.

How can we get back to that? What happened to us? My hope now that this election is over is maybe we can take a break from tearing each other apart. The virus is still raging, and there’s no magic solution. It doesn’t just go away unless we stop it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota