Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM

10 posts, read 28,270 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information on life in and around the Madison, SD area. My husband is returning to school and considering Dakota State University.

We have been to South Dakota a few times on vacation and are familiar with Sioux Falls and Rapid City from the perspective of a tourist, but would love some information on what it is like to live there.

We have two kids and we all enjoy outdoor recreation, hiking, climbing, cycling, etc. We are happiest away from large crowds and shopping centers. (And very tired of the city attitudes from the New Yorkers who moved into the Poconos where we currently live)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Madison has two lakes within a few miles of city limits. Lake Madison and Lake Herman. Johnson's Point, Lake Herman, and Walker's Point are the state park areas that are present with Johnson's Point and Walker's Point on Lake Madison. You may want to go to the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks website to see for yourself on these park areas.

The lakes offer lot of outdoors activities. Also, there are some state parks further north about 50-100 miles with Oakwood Lakes, Lake Poinsett, Lake Thompson, and a couple of lakes up by Watertown.

Madison has a nice city park in the southwest part of the city that is good for kids to play ball and for picnics. I can remember one or two other parks, but it has been awhile since I have been to Madison. I can remember going to the park for family reunions when my great-grandparents lived in Madison.

Also, Madison has a replica old-fashioned town called Prairie Village. I went there a couple times as a kid and thought it was neat to see. I would like to visit again, but do so in the summer time when the grass and trees are nice and green.

Madison is a community of over 6,000 people and has two grocery stores, a discount store (Pamida), and a fair amount of places to eat. I can remember my great-grandparents taking my parents, my brother, and I to Pizza Hut and having a good time. They would not allow my parents to pay for the meal, they insist it was their treat to us. They sometimes came out to Walker's Point and had a picnic with my family and I when I camped there.

For the most part, Madison is a clean and friendly community and is a good place to raise a family. Dakota State University is holding its own and has being growing steadily as a college in the past 10-15 years. It is within 45-50 miles from Sioux Falls (pop. 150,000) and about the same distance or little less to Brookings (pop. 19,000) for additional shopping and services. There are a few people who commute to Sioux Falls or Brookings for employment. Unfortunately, one of their industrial employers (GEHL) has laid off people recently. Overall, Madison is holding its own despite its challenges and is a nice community if it works out for you.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 AM

10 posts, read 28,270 times
Thank you for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota