Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM

157 posts, read 716,274 times

Advertisements

Yep! Good old SoDak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Even as a native South Dakotan, I found the folks in North Dakota to be more interesting and personable. they are very much like New Yorkers. Just stop and talk to anlhone and you'll get a plethora of news and background. Maybe i was just lucky the one year I moved lived there and all the other times I visited the state. But there are more people living in SoDak. & it certainly has more a progressive corporate business climate than NoDak.

We took a trip to Canada last year and stopped at Grand Forks NoDak overnight. We were blown away by the progressiveness of the town. Ralph Engsted certainly has made his business mark on the town with a huge sports complex and other buildings. Wide streets. A "newness" to the city that we didn't expect. Fantastic restaurants. Great scenery. Notice the gigantic grain storage facilities as you go into the main highway through the city. Goes on for several blocks. In fact, all long the NoDak side highway to Canada there are gigantic grain elevators. Awesome! & new railroad tracks.

We went to Canada because 2006 was the last year we Yanks can visit it without a passport. As far as I'm concerned, the USA is just fine for roaming about. Just give me New York and the Dakotas.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:09 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Default Dispise SD

Jammie,

Remember one thing. The snow makes you really appreciate the hot summer. hahaha

Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 AM

I had one of the best times in my life staying over in Steele NoDak when it was 25 or 30 below. Great people. Basis for a book I wrote. It depends on your attitude, where you are and the people. For instance, I wouldn't live in Alamogordo NM even though the weather is great year round. They're running out of their drinking water source from the mountains. Well water beneath Algdo is undrinkable. You could take a bath in it, if you don't mind incredibly dry skin and skin lesions.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
Hi Jim,

I'm part of that publication you metioned in Aberdeen. Apparently saying its name got my last post deleted so if you want to know how to find it online just message me or check my profile for a link.

I'd also like to add that Aberdeen is host to several art galleries in the area and is also host to the hottest movie making as well.

The Fischgaard Film project will be starting its third annual competition this month and independent film making is underway by locals as well.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stokes View Post
Glad to help out! One more item. Britton has a new consolidated Britton/Hecla school. So you might also want to look into that. Industry is on the rise in the city also.

Living is cheap in the area. You can buy a nice house for $10K or less. No kidding. However there are no art museums, symphony halls or literary societies. You'll have to go to the Sioux Falls/Vermillion area for that.

However I just got something in the mail today from friends in nearby Aberdeen. That's just up the road 40 miles. The arts are BOOMING in Aberdeen! There's a cute little publication printed in Abdn that tells all about it. There's a revue of the new Britton Bistro, which features a reuben sandwich. I wonder if they serve a knish and matzo ball soup?

Old 01-28-2007, 11:22 AM

21 posts, read 69,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stokes View Post
Glad to help out! One more item. Britton has a new consolidated Britton/Hecla school. So you might also want to look into that. Industry is on the rise in the city also.

Living is cheap in the area. You can buy a nice house for $10K or less. No kidding. However there are no art museums, symphony halls or literary societies. You'll have to go to the Sioux Falls/Vermillion area for that.

However I just got something in the mail today from friends in nearby Aberdeen. That's just up the road 40 miles. The arts are BOOMING in Aberdeen! There's a cute little publication printed in Abdn that tells all about it. There's a revue of the new Britton Bistro, which features a reuben sandwich. I wonder if they serve a knish and matzo ball soup?

Good morning Jim,
Thank you for all of your kind words concerning Northeastern South Dakota and about Britton in particular! I was pleasantly surprised to find your posts when I typed "Britton Bistro" into my web browser this morning. I am the owner of "The Britton Bistro & Bakery". You are correct, we don't have "knish and matzo ball soup" on the menu. We would be very happy to make it for you if you would like to come and visit our incredible little town and dine with us at our fabulous Bistro! Just let me know when you are arriving so that I have enough time to order the ingrediants. You know how it is to get food products here...I am eternally grateful for the internet, UPS & FEDEX! I also want to let you know that I am currently hosting an exhibit of Rebecca Mulvaney's artwork until the middle of February. It is her series titled "Skyscapes" and it is impressive to say the least. My goal is to host regional artwork on a monthly basis to support and promote the art and artist's in our area. Two weeks ago, we hosted an impromptu afternoon poetry reading by a former area resident that has lived on the West Coast for decades. Fifty people attended. We have a harpist coming to play during lunch on 14 February and a retired Doctor that plays the mandolin/banjo and guiter coming in next week to play during dinner. We have local pianists that volunteer to play background music during the dinner hour on the weekend. My point being that we are attempting to broaden our cultural and fine art horizons. Britton is progressive. We have a new outdoor pool complex, a new library, a new wellness center attached to the hospital, a new Fire Department, a new auditorium addition to our school, a new museum, a new motel and of course, The Britton Bistro-just to name a few of our recent improvements. Can you tell that I love this community and that I am proud of all that we have accomplished! We are always looking for individuals and businesses that would like to relocate to our community to be a part of a dynamic community that cares and is making an effort to improve their personal life and the lives of others. Hope to see you, enjoy your company and share some matzo ball soup made by my Chef in the very near future! Maybe you would be interested in our Valentine's Day package? I am working cooperatively with the new motel and we are offering a reduced rate on a room at the new motel along with a Britton Bistro Valentine's Dinner for two and a ticket for two to our local theater. Interested?
Sincerely,
Kay Marie

Old 01-29-2007, 06:43 AM

146 posts, read 572,004 times
Exclamation It's South Dakota!

Even though I'm a bit frightened by the level of cold and snow in South Dakota (the pics on this site were beautiful but looked frigid), our move will be north to SD and not TN. I've got three months to pick a city, we're heading up at the end of May.

Which would be the best of these, maybe put them in order for me?
Garretson
Briton
Vermillion
Brandon
Sioux Falls

Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Sure, this will be fun, but I'm not sure what size of city you like best. But I'll just do it for what I would prefer.

1. Brandon~nice clean town

2. Sioux Falls~a bit too big for me, but plenty of jobs and a lot to do

3. Vermillion~nice college town

Sorry, I don't remember being in Britton or in Garretson, although I'm sure we passed through Garretson one time.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:34 PM

21 posts, read 69,382 times
I can give you information on BRITTON (if you want it). We are a sweet little community. Yes, it is cold in the winter but that just makes you appreciate Spring when it arrives in all of it's green splendor! What do you want to know specifically?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,894 times
Default teaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
My son wants to move to South Dakota after seeing that the temps were 20 degrees. We're currently in Houston and just chomping at the bit to leave but where? If you could pick the top two places to live in South Dakota, where would they be?

Before you answer that, pretend you're a teacher that's moving there cold and would need to find a teaching job FAST!
Hey, teaching jobs are not very good hear. I see things on the news all the time about how it is the worst and if I remember correctly the worst in the nation or at least one of them.

I am actually moving from Sioux Falls, SD to San Antonio. I like SA, Houstons nice, but SA is more friendly and less traffic jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota