Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I lived in Sequim for several years so have a special interest in it. Something to be aware of is that the tribe wants to put in a regional drug treatment center there as a money making business, and bring in hundreds of addicts daily from outside the area for treatment. There were already drug treatment centers there for those who lived in the area that weren't fully utilized. So there is no need for this monstrosity in a retirement community. But there is a strong contingent who are for it.

The battle to stop this is tearing the community apart. The drug induced homelessness with camps, and trash, and panhandling in the area, plus property crime has increased very much. Plus a number of murders in the last several years where there used to be none before. Port Angeles also has a terrible problem with this too. It breaks my heart because it is a beautiful area with lovely weather, and I had wanted to go back. But not anymore . Save Our Sequim is a good resource.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/saveoursequim/

Port Angeles looks like sh_t facebook page is another. The censors won't allow the link.

Seattle is dying is a good yt video about the same general thing that they want to pawn off onto Sequim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

But the powers that be want to ship the troublemakers from the populated areas to Sequim. Clallam county had the highest opioid problems in the state that peaked in 2016. Violent crime is on the uptick. More murders, and assaults have happened since this article was written. You won't see this stuff on the chamber of commerce websites.

https://www.sequimgazette.com/news/c...violent-crime/
Unfortunate for sure.. That is one of the big problems you often run into with rural areas closer to population centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Ever notice how many people are moving into Tennessee for retirement? They especially like no state income taxes and very reasonable property taxes. Tennessee has a decent cost of living, four seasons and a high quality of life. The state is incredibly beautiful, especially the farther east you go.

You don't say where you live in Tennessee, but there are other state regions if you're dissatisfied with where you presently live.

I once worked in the Dakotas on a fine December morning. And it was -33 degrees when I locked the keys to my rental car inside. That did it for me on living so far north.

I vote for you staying in Tennessee, even if it means moving to another city that better suits your needs.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:08 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Ever notice how many people are moving into Tennessee for retirement? They especially like no state income taxes and very reasonable property taxes. Tennessee has a decent cost of living, four seasons and a high quality of life. The state is incredibly beautiful, especially the farther east you go. I vote for you staying in Tennessee, even if it means moving to another city that better suits your needs.
I agree they should stay in TN

Old 08-02-2020, 02:13 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod crowley View Post
I'm retireing to beautiful SD myself soon.
We lived over the Black Hills for a couple of summers, but never found a piece of land suitable for our families to re-settle. There was always something wrong with the titles, deeds, surveys. Crazy Horse was right - go home.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:41 AM

28 posts, read 44,536 times
I live on the outskirts of Memphis, which is the armpit of the state. It is probably the most decisive and corrupt city I have ever lived in. Just ready for a change.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_TN View Post
I live on the outskirts of Memphis, which is the armpit of the state. It is probably the most decisive and corrupt city I have ever lived in. Just ready for a change.
Understandable. Memphis is not high on my list, and certainly not a place I would stay if I had a choice.

When will you have a long chunk od time off for a western voyage / search?

Lots of places might fit your fancy, even if just for a few yrs to get to know the region and find your 'spot'.

Sturgis / Spearfish are pretty nice areas and close to WY, MT, ND where a lot of other nice places are.

Name your top 5 Musts and 5 wants, and you might get a better idea of where to start.

Gardening?... (Need good soils and water)
Hunting and fishing?... need access to lucrative terrain and environment
Medical or VA access?
Airport?
Cultural activities?
QUIET! (?)
Access to a big city / big box stores (How far is too far?)
Mtns / Prairie?
Water access (River of lake?)
View?
Camping?
Cost of housing?
Rural vs urban / suburban...? (I note you want rural and acreage, just weight the costs and future maint) Eventually may have to move to town, better to find one suitable for you. (before you need to move there).

Region?

No ID, eastern WA and NW MT is pretty nice.
Many LEO retirees there.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Region?

Many LEO retirees there.
That’s my plan for retirement. I’m living Livingston Montana or further west. Or Sheridan, Cody or Buffalo Wyoming. Maybe Dubois.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:38 PM

BTW...
Hot Springs, SD is another place to consider if you like both Black Hills and Badlands.

Property values are likely lower than Spearfish or Sturgis, but about the same distance away from RC (Little further / no interstate access)

There has been quite a debate on VA center there, but seems it's staying. (I had been considering the Veteran's Home there several yrs ago for my dad. )
https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/...568420801.html

For No ID, several friends near Sandpoint / Newport, WA, Thompson Falls, MT, and they love the fishing! Not really brutal winters.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:32 PM

28 posts, read 44,536 times
I am actually flying to Rapid City, South Dakota for a little R&R. Meeting the parents and we are going to check out Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse. Deadwood, the Badlands, and the Custer area for 2 or 3 days. Then I want to head to Devil's Tower before driving across the state. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Going to go to Western Wyoming and spend a day in Teton National Park and check out Jackson. Will have to stay in Victor, ID because the hotels are very expensive. I don't mind the prices but my father is not going to pay it. Then its a drive down to Salt Lake City to catch a plane home. In all its about a 6 day trip. Not enough time, but a good start to check out the area. I really like the Custer and Black Hills/Badlands area.

My top 5 choices would be:

1. Quiet
2. Mountains
3. Hospital
4. Airport (I fly to California several times a year during football season)
5. View.

I know I am asking for the world and I will have to compromise on some things. The best part is I have time. Thanks for all the input.

QUOTE=StealthRabbit;58861565]Understandable. Memphis is not high on my list, and certainly not a place I would stay if I had a choice.

When will you have a long chunk od time off for a western voyage / search?

Lots of places might fit your fancy, even if just for a few yrs to get to know the region and find your 'spot'.

Sturgis / Spearfish are pretty nice areas and close to WY, MT, ND where a lot of other nice places are.

Name your top 5 Musts and 5 wants, and you might get a better idea of where to start.

Gardening?... (Need good soils and water)
Hunting and fishing?... need access to lucrative terrain and environment
Medical or VA access?
Airport?
Cultural activities?
QUIET! (?)
Access to a big city / big box stores (How far is too far?)
Mtns / Prairie?
Water access (River of lake?)
View?
Camping?
Cost of housing?
Rural vs urban / suburban...? (I note you want rural and acreage, just weight the costs and future maint) Eventually may have to move to town, better to find one suitable for you. (before you need to move there).

Region?

Many LEO retirees there.[/quote]

Old 08-10-2020, 02:05 PM

While in SD, don't miss the Needles Highway. I suggest early in AM before the motorhomes arrive. (as is the case with most scenic travel, including Tetons and Yellowstone. If in popular area...I usually drive 5AM to 10 AM and 5PM to 10 PM, do hiking, napping, eating, showers, swimming, fishing, museums during mid day. More animals out in AM and PM. less kids out.

My top 5 choices would be:

1. Quiet
2. Mountains
3. Hospital
4. Airport (I fly to California several times a year during football season)
5. View.

My suggestions...
Spearfish / Sturgis, SD
Take a good look at Sheridan / Ranchester, Dayton, WY
Consider Star Valley/ Afton, WY (Western WY) or areas around Bear Lake (ID / UT), in fact I would drive that direction on way to SLC.

Otherwise... nearest the next biggest airport (Billings?) Depends where in CA you are flying, but... a direct flight can help reduce commute time.

View WY rural props fetch a premium price. (For the value). Other states are plenty as well, but not as popular with the Big Buck buyers. (Tax shelter + Beauty / remoteness of WY). Powell and Lovell, WY will probably be lower cost than Sheridan and similar time to Billings.

Hospitals... depends on the need / specialty. If you need big city stuff... It is pretty far away from much of WY.

Quiet? Watch for dirt bikes, peacocks and burros. (and neighbor dogs)
In Texas, my neighbors shoot HP rifles all weekend, every weekend.
Can't be for sighting-in for deer hunting, as I could 'club' any of the 19 deer in my front yard at the moment. Takes about 4-5 Texas deer to = a 'real' deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota