U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:45 PM

28 posts, read 21,441 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been in law enforcement for 20 years in Tennessee and with everything going on I am ready to call it quits
I have 5 years from retirement and I am trying to figure to decide where I want to retire. I have checked into possiby retiring in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. It was recommended that I also consider S. Dakota. I never considered it but after looking into areas, I was curious. What I am looking for is a property between 10 and 20 acres, mountain views, and wildlife on the property. I would like to have access to shopping and an airport because I travel to California in the fall. One concern I have is the weather in the winter. I grew up in Wisconsin, but I have lived in the south for 30 years. Another issue is taxes as I will have a pension. I know Wyoming does not tax pensions, but Montana does (no sales tax). Can anyone offer any cities to consider? I particularly like Black Hills and Bad Lands part of the state, but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:12 PM

26,922 posts, read 34,479,542 times
If you’re wanting mountain views you will end up in the western part of the state. We have no state income tax, we do have a sales tax and a property tax. There are some places where you can buy small parcels of land. However, specifics are escaping me now.

Rapid City is okay(ish) I have been back for ten years. It has lost some of its luster. However, the Black Hills have not. I would look at Custer, Hill City or Hot Springs for towns to live in or close by.

I am a bit over 12 1/2 years until I am eligible to retire. I have a countdown on my phone for that day. I have visions of moving west even further.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:02 AM

192 posts, read 77,335 times
I retired to Hot Springs abt 11 yrs ago and I love it. You have not mentioned what you intend to pay for a property. The closer you are to the interstate, the higher the price. Rapid is where your airport is, more specifically a short drive SE of Rapid. This is a dry climate and water can be precious. Rural Water has brought piped in water to most or many rural areas from Hot Springs north. South of Hot Springs you will need a well or haul your water from town. I just had an excellant well drilled for $41,000.00. We had to drill down 500 ft thru rock to find adequate water. Others have drilled deeper. Small acreage parcels are readily available in both Fall River cty and Custer cty. Big box shopping is in Rapid. Custer is more touristy than Hot Springs. Keep in touch and good luck

Old 07-19-2020, 06:25 PM

309 posts, read 380,671 times
The Black Hills of SD is beautiful. They call the Black Hills the banana belt of the state because the winter weather isn't as bad as the rest of the state can be, although we have had our moments. The unexpected Atlas Blizzard in 2013 is but one example. We have 3 acres in-between Sturgis and Deadwood in Boulder Canyon and see plenty of wildlife. Tons of deer, turkey, some coyotes once in awhile, and our neighbor told us she spotted a mountain lion headed up our property toward our house once but I doubt I would ever want to encounter one myself. For years we were told there were no bears in the area, but in recent years there have been several spottings of black bear nearby. We just had a market analysis done on our place and as is was $315K. 2 bed/2 bath with a great room, unfinished basement. Detached oversized two car garage. Great views, in the forest, south facing. Other homes in our area go for $400K up to $800K plus depending on the size of the house. The properties around here are all about 2-5 acres. Property is no longer as affordable in the area as it used to be, (what is?), but compared to other states it is probably still considered a bargain.

My brother and sister-in-law just purchased a home on 2.5 acres with a small year round creek running through it near Lake Pactola for $239K. (It was on the market one day and they were lucky they found it.) The house is small, a great room and a bedroom loft with a detached 2 car garage. The property is gorgeous though, mainly on a hillside in the trees.

You mentioned you need to be near an airport because you travel to CA in the fall. I'm going to be honest. Traveling to CA from Rapid City, SD can be a major pain in the butt. Sometimes you'll face delays and cancelations and sometimes it will smooth as silk. We travel to San Diego frequently, via Denver and have experience in this area. Just a fair warning. WY and MT will probably be the same. There were times when we felt it would have been easier to drive to DIA and fly from there rather than the headaches we've experienced flying out of Rapid City. We've lived in the Black Hills off and on since the early 90's. We keep coming back, so there must be something to this place. Best of luck to you in your retirement and thank you for your service in law enforcement.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,163 times
Eastern SD has small towns, lakes, hunting, collage towns, Sioux Falls.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:47 PM

28 posts, read 21,441 times
I have a question about property taxes in SD. I saw a couple of private ranches with community property. It says you pay a property tax on the land parcel and a second tax on 75 to 80% at an agricultural rate. Does anyone know how that works or how it is calculated? Thanks

Old 07-22-2020, 09:54 AM

126 posts, read 80,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_TN View Post
I have a question about property taxes in SD. I saw a couple of private ranches with community property. It says you pay a property tax on the land parcel and a second tax on 75 to 80% at an agricultural rate. Does anyone know how that works or how it is calculated? Thanks
Have you actually looked at property online at zillow? If not, you might have sticker shock. Mountain property is very expensive in all the states you mentioned though Idaho is probably the cheapest. I have looked into the same as my job would allow me to live out there. Unfortunately the prices are way higher then areas like the upper peninsula of MI where I came from or down where you live in TN.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:25 AM

22,222 posts, read 38,781,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post
Have you actually looked at property online at zillow? If not, you might have sticker shock. Mountain property is very expensive in all the states you mentioned though Idaho is probably the cheapest. I have looked into the same as my job would allow me to live out there. Unfortunately the prices are way higher then areas like the upper peninsula of MI where I came from or down where you live in TN.
I think the rural Olympic Peninsula is more retiree friendly than western South Dakota. Sequim, WA has a huge retiree population, mild climate all year long with little rain, and reasonable housing prices. No state income tax there either.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 AM

93 posts, read 264,839 times
I'm retireing to beautiful SD myself soon.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:08 PM

3,029 posts, read 1,332,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think the rural Olympic Peninsula is more retiree friendly than western South Dakota. Sequim, WA has a huge retiree population, mild climate all year long with little rain, and reasonable housing prices. No state income tax there either.
I lived in Sequim for several years so have a special interest in it. Something to be aware of is that the tribe wants to put in a regional drug treatment center there as a money making business, and bring in hundreds of addicts daily from outside the area for treatment. There were already drug treatment centers there for those who lived in the area that weren't fully utilized. So there is no need for this monstrosity in a retirement community. But there is a strong contingent who are for it.

The battle to stop this is tearing the community apart. The drug induced homelessness with camps, and trash, and panhandling in the area, plus property crime has increased very much. Plus a number of murders in the last several years where there used to be none before. Port Angeles also has a terrible problem with this too. It breaks my heart because it is a beautiful area with lovely weather, and I had wanted to go back. But not anymore . Save Our Sequim is a good resource.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/saveoursequim/

Port Angeles looks like sh_t facebook page is another. The censors won't allow the link.

Seattle is dying is a good yt video about the same general thing that they want to pawn off onto Sequim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

But the powers that be want to ship the troublemakers from the populated areas to Sequim. Clallam county had the highest opioid problems in the state that peaked in 2016. Violent crime is on the uptick. More murders, and assaults have happened since this article was written. You won't see this stuff on the chamber of commerce websites.

https://www.sequimgazette.com/news/c...violent-crime/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota