Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,792 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to either Watertown or Aberdeen. What're the pros and cons of each one? Which would you recommend over the other?

(Please no sarcastic responses. Yes, I've done my "homework" OneDawg so calm down.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 07:45 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Between the two I'd pick Aberdeen without a second thought.

Aberdeen's about 20% larger than Watertown (so it has a bit more variety as far as shopping/dining/entertainment) and has two institutions of higher learning (Watertown has none, unless one counts LATI). I think this factors into the cities' overall attitudes. While still fairly provincial, Aberdeen is a bit more friendly and open (no doubt due to the college presence). Watertown on the other hand is xenophobic, and unless you have family there, there really is little reason to relocate there. Their treatment of outsiders ranges from indifference to outright hostility - having warm friendly neighbor is a rare treat indeed.

Watertown's biggest advantage over Aberdeen is its access - it's right off I-29, and US Rte 212 can take you straight to the Twin Cities. Aberdeen's US 12 can do the same, but it's not going to be quite as fast since it only goes 4 lanes for so long, plus it's a little longer anyway. Aberdeen is nearly 70 miles from the nearest interstate (29), and a full 100 miles from both I-90 and I-94.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigglysnack View Post
I'm moving to either Watertown or Aberdeen. What're the pros and cons of each one? Which would you recommend over the other? (Please no sarcastic responses. Yes, I've done my "homework" OneDawg so calm down.)
You know why I comment on these requests? It's because they didn't take two seconds to review what's already on the forums. A lot of answers there. There's also a search button. I'm an old man and I really don't want to calm down - not now - maybe when I was 20 or 30. Anyone that knows me personally - already knows that.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,272 times
Default OneDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
You know why I comment on these requests? It's because they didn't take two seconds to review what's already on the forums. A lot of answers there. There's also a search button. I'm an old man and I really don't want to calm down - not now - maybe when I was 20 or 30. Anyone that knows me personally - already knows that.
I agree with the OP, some of your posts are outright ridiculous. Attacking people for asking a question just because you "don't think they did research" is complete nonsense. In addition, you hate posts that have more than two sentences of info in them for being "TMI", so it'd be pretty hard for someone to show they did research under that restriction.

Also, OK BOOMER, you get your jollies freaking out about people's questions on a form. Great life ambitions, really. No waste of time at all, no sir.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:20 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Well contrary to Mod, I don't troll these forums. I lived in Sisseton, Chamberlain and Rapid City and fifty other towns in Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, Illinois, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Montana and Hawaii. Excuse me for having a brain. And knowing how to use as search engine. You don't have to read my comments, but you are doing so and responding to me.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Another salty dog weighing in, flip a coin. They are a horse a piece. Either town would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota