Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 05:33 AM

451 posts, read 421,454 times

Advertisements

I live as a nomad travelling. I have been SD resident for over 2 years and love it. It is totally legal per SD state law and you can use a mail forwarding support type company to have an address issued which is legal.
It is one night with a hotel receipt and then I pay $150.00 per year to my mail support company which is called Dakota Post in souix Falls. I dont think you need to stay one night a year just the first time.

I went and stayed a night, then went to the driver license place with the hotel receipt, took the book test on computer, passed that and they gave me my license. I then went to a bank and set up an account. I also have a credit card and car insurance.

I did not register to vote. I own no property there. You can get obamacare or medicare there also.

The company Dakota Post can also register cars for you and send you the plates. If you look at RVs around the highways many have SD plates.

Its a great deal and no need to file a tax return. Google Dakota post or call their customer service at 605 332 3711

And no Im not a rich guy with multiple properties. Go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 07:46 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
See question # 2 on this SD affidavit regarding residency, issued and signed when applying for a SD drivers license.

If one can honestly answer this question and well as #1 and #3, SD residency should be good to go.

All ties to other states should be severed...we did and had no issues for the 8 years we were on the road. But, we went a step further and purchased property to further demonstrate our "intent to return".

"RESIDENCY AFFIDAVIT
FOR SOUTH DAKOTA RESIDENTS WHO TRAVEL
AND DO NOT HAVE A RESIDENCE IN ANOTHER STATE
The purpose of the following questions is to determine if you meet the qualifications
for an exception of the proof of residency requirements for obtaining a
South Dakota Driver License or non-driver ID card.
This form must be signed by a notary of the public or a South Dakota driver license examiner.
1. Is South Dakota your state of residence? _____Yes _____No
2. Is South Dakota the state you intend to return to after being absent? _____Yes _____No
3. Do you maintain a residence in another state? _____Yes _____No
This form must be accompanied by a valid one night stay receipt (no more than one year old) from
a local RV Park, Campground, or Motel for proof of the temporary address where you are residing.
In addition you must submit a document (no more than one year old) proving your personal
mailbox (PMB) service address (receipt from the PMB business or a piece of mail with your PMB
address on it).
PLEASE NOTE: South Dakota Driver Licensing records are used as a supplemental list for jury duty
selection. Obtaining a South Dakota driver license or non-driver ID card will result in you being
required to report for jury duty in South Dakota if selected.
I declare and affirm under the penalties of perjury (2 years imprisonment and $4000 fine) that this
claim (petition, application, information) has been examined by me and, to the best of my
knowledge and belief, is in all things true and correct. Any false statement or concealment of any
material facts subjects any license or ID issued to immediate cancellation.
______________________________________________ ______________________
PRINT NAME DATE
__________________________________________________ ______________________
SIGNATURE
__________________________________________________ ______ (SEAL)
Notary/South Dakota Driver License Examiner Signature
Commission Expires:_______________________"

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-29-2020, 11:45 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
You will still pay part-year resident income tax in the state(s) in which you live most of the time. I had to pay two different states part year resident income tax before I became a full time resident of SD. There is also non-resident income tax to pay if you earn over a certain amount in a state, whether or not you live there. (The amounts and rules are different in each state.) Even though I'm now a full time resident of SD I still pay income tax to another high tax state because I have income from a business in that state.

Believe me, the states will track you down and you will pay them.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You will still pay part-year resident income tax in the state(s) in which you live most of the time. I had to pay two different states part year resident income tax before I became a full time resident of SD. There is also non-resident income tax to pay if you earn over a certain amount in a state, whether or not you live there. (The amounts and rules are different in each state.) Even though I'm now a full time resident of SD I still pay income tax to another high tax state because I have income from a business in that state.

Believe me, the states will track you down and you will pay them.
My state has no income tax.Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:14 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
I live as a nomad travelling. I have been SD resident for over 2 years and love it. It is totally legal per SD state law and you can use a mail forwarding support type company to have an address issued which is legal.
It is one night with a hotel receipt and then I pay $150.00 per year to my mail support company which is called Dakota Post in souix Falls. I dont think you need to stay one night a year just the first time.

I went and stayed a night, then went to the driver license place with the hotel receipt, took the book test on computer, passed that and they gave me my license. I then went to a bank and set up an account. I also have a credit card and car insurance.

I did not register to vote. I own no property there. You can get obamacare or medicare there also.

The company Dakota Post can also register cars for you and send you the plates. If you look at RVs around the highways many have SD plates.

Its a great deal and no need to file a tax return. Google Dakota post or call their customer service at 605 332 3711

And no Im not a rich guy with multiple properties. Go for it!
Thanks very much rodolfo.I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota