Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,932 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals! I'm a current Oklahoma City resident, planning to move to South Dakota next Spring because I love y'all's Governor, and being the great leader she is, South Dakota looks like the only place left in the country where one doesn't have to worry about state government overreach anytime soon. I'm heavy on the Constitution, have more of a Conservatarian view and would like to surround myself with like minded people, I also look forward to the change of pace.

I've worked in publishing for 13 years, so I'm guessing the most job opportunities of that nature would be in Rapid City or Sioux Falls? Though I'm not opposed to living in a less populated area. I also own a digital LLC on the side (I'm an Artist, GFX Designer, Podcaster, Producer, Gamer, etc.) and would be more than happy to transfer it to SD. As far as recreation I would just like to be around some good restaurants, bars/pool halls and gun ranges.

So would you suggest Rapid City, Sioux Falls, any other town? I love the look of Pierre but it seems a bit pricy. One bedroom apartments in Oklahoma City rent for $803 a month on average and our minimum wage is $7.25. It seems SD's price of living is overall actually lower even though your minimum wage is higher, so that's pretty awesome.

I look forward to your suggestions, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 06:13 AM

249 posts, read 241,981 times
Take a look at Belle Fourche. It will have most of what you are looking for.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:23 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times
Another thought is one of the small towns around Rapid, you can still live in a small town, but it is drivable to the larger town, if your still needing a income and the small mountains provide a great view/animals.

Old 10-04-2020, 01:41 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Rapid City has a much better climate than Sioux Falls. West River>East River

Sioux Falls however has the best off road paved bike trail in the upper midwest... if you like to road bike. Rapid City has some of the best hiking of any city in the midwest right in the middle of the town.

Both are decent enough to commute but I've always found Rapid City easy to traverse... lots of high speed limit roads to get from point A to B.

Rapid City has all 3 big gun stores... Fleet Farm, Cabela's, and Scheels. Sioux Falls has 2 of them.

Winner Rapid City.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Sioux Falls. It is closer to OKC than Rapid City. Sioux Falls has two major interstates. You are three hours from Omaha and Four from the Twin Cites. It is a five hour drive to Kansas City. You will have more opportunities and better pay in Sioux Falls.

Also, there are several smaller towns there that would also be a slower pace and minutes from Sioux Falls.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,932 times
Thank y'all! Doesn't sound like I can really go wrong lol I appreciate the feedback.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:56 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Rapid City is pretty nice.

If you're planning on working 2 jobs and maybe buying a house, Sioux Falls is your best bet. House prices are higher there but you get a lot of "quality house" for your bucks.

I think you'll love South Dakota, I've worked there a lot and people are very kind and wholesome. Ranching and farming is where it's at and people are very into being neighborly.

The hunting is great too.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:47 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times
Some of the small towns are kind of neat, nice to go back and forth to work with no traffic and towns like Sisseton do have some government and tribe jobs available from time to time.....I think the population is a little over 2400 and the school has kids from 2 or 3 other towns, (so they provide jobs) last I heard, though that may be the trade classes, not sure.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:39 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Houses are super cheap in SE South Dakota. It's very remote though. Pretty country but very empty.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Houses are super cheap in SE South Dakota. It's very remote though. Pretty country but very empty.
Southeast South Dakota? Don't you mean NORTHeast South Dakota or northWEST South Dakota?

Southeast South Dakota is very balanced in population and I definitely wouldn't call it remote. Cheap is a very relative term and compared to housing in most of the U.S. away from any larger city in SD, housing is very cheap in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota