U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2020, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 992 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed my search for a new place to move my family. I'm leaning toward Brookings, South Dakota. I like how the cost of living is substantially less than my life-long town of Eureka, CA. I also like the political climate of South Dakota. I'm worked in pulp mills as a logistics manager, sawmills as production worker and maintenance worker, and owned my own dairy delivery business before California's emission laws put my two older trucks out of service, which put me out of business.....********* California. I'm 58, in great health and shape, have a AA degree, and my wife is a stay at home mother to my home schooled 11 year old daughter. We want to start her in public schools. I see that Bel Brands, 3M, and Larson hires entry level positions. I don't need much money to survive. I will pay cash for a house. What is it like to become employed with these three companies? Are employees happy to work for them. Are there any other options for employment in Brookings. Any feedback is appreciated. My family is soooo ready to hit the restart button in a new friendly, safe, town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 09:11 PM

3,880 posts, read 5,267,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in Arcata View Post
I've narrowed my search for a new place to move my family. I'm leaning toward Brookings, South Dakota. I like how the cost of living is substantially less than my life-long town of Eureka, CA. I also like the political climate of South Dakota. I'm worked in pulp mills as a logistics manager, sawmills as production worker and maintenance worker, and owned my own dairy delivery business before California's emission laws put my two older trucks out of service, which put me out of business.....********* California. I'm 58, in great health and shape, have a AA degree, and my wife is a stay at home mother to my home schooled 11 year old daughter. We want to start her in public schools. I see that Bel Brands, 3M, and Larson hires entry level positions. I don't need much money to survive. I will pay cash for a house. What is it like to become employed with these three companies? Are employees happy to work for them. Are there any other options for employment in Brookings. Any feedback is appreciated. My family is soooo ready to hit the restart button in a new friendly, safe, town.
Do you have your CDL license since you had these dairy trucks? At 58 (I'm 66) I know that I wouldn't want to start working at anything resembling an assembly line standing all day long. There's a pretty big demand around here for drivers possessing a CDL that can pass a drug test.

Having logistics experience, you might be able to score a job with one of the companies you mentioned. Another one I would definitely check out in Brookings is Daktronics. Just lie, hold your nose, and tell them that you're a Jackrabbits fan.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:27 PM

26,921 posts, read 34,479,542 times
I’m on my third job in 20 years. Excluding transfers and promotions. I would not to be starting a new job or career at 58. At that point in I’ll work because I want to and not because I don’t want to starve.

Now, a CDL is something that will always be useful and highly marketable. Just ask my brother. Against my advice he let his lapse. He recently had to go through the whole process again. If you want to move to here, fine. Your opportunities will be better on the east side of the state.

Also, there is no need to start multiple threads. It is a small enough section we can keep it in one thread and not lose track of the topic.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:59 PM

131 posts, read 244,740 times
I have had a couple people tell me that Daktronics recruits a lot of students and doesn't pay the best. Maybe someone else here can comment on that. Just saw a 3M ad recently for entry level production around $18/hour. Surely they have maintenance openings but I don't know how easy those positions are to get into. I've never understood why but 3M in Brookings seems to pay less than other 3M plants. Haven't heard anything about Larson or Bel. Twin City Fan has a plant there too.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:17 PM

192 posts, read 77,335 times
My best advice would be to stay put until retirement especially with an 11 yr old daughter. At age 58 you will have a tough time finding a good job anywhere. Political climates change every election yr.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 992 times
Thank you for all the responses. I know there are plenty of CDL driving jobs, but this type of work would be a last resort. I am mainly interested employment at the companies mentioned. As far as my age, I am very physically fit and very healthy. If I could make $45k and up, I would be content. The cost of living is around 20% less expensive than my hometown here in Eureka, CA. I just bought gas for $3.25 gallon and my monthly energy bill averages $300 month. In addition, I really am drawn to the low crime rate and cleanliness of Brookings; Eureka is overrun with homeless and the filth and crime that comes with them. Our local government allows a needle exchange for the addicts, which leaves needle litter throughout our city.....the exchange part of the program is a joke. I really need a safe place for my family to live. We have the funds to buy a house in cash and pay for my daughters college. I just need a job has a good work environment and pays a living wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota