U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2021, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 592 times

Advertisements

My bf and I recently moved out of our tiny West River homophobic town along I-90, and into the great regional center of Watertown. I spent most of my childhood west of the river so I don't know much about how things are further east. However Watertown seems to be equally hateful to LGBT people, even if there is a larger number of us around. My bf was kicked out of his home for being gay at 12, and I was beaten up at a bar in Pierre last year, so I do not want to hear anything about how LGBT people are always accepted now, that it's not a problem in 2021, etc. If you are not LGBT you may not even notice homophobia in your town, and I don't fault you for that. Maybe it doesn't affect you personally, but I assure you it exists.

We are trying to determine whether there is anywhere in South Dakota where LGBT people are integrated into the community, where we might find solace and live a peaceful existence without hatred directed at us. Do you know of a place that fits this description? Perhaps a neighborhood in Sioux Falls or Rapid City, or a progressive town like Brookings or Vermillion? I'm all ears.

Our budget is around ~$1,600 for an apartment, though it depends on exactly what the pay is like where we get jobs. I have an offer in Sioux Falls, my bf has one in Brookings, and we're on the search for more. Since most potential jobs are remote for the moment, we could potentially live anywhere and see where things go, but eventually we will have to commute.

To sum it all up, my question is:
Do we have to leave South Dakota to find an accepting LGBT-friendly community? Or can it be found close to home?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 04:31 PM

26,928 posts, read 34,548,238 times
I would think Sioux Falls would be more welcoming than Watertown. However, you will likely still face homophobia. I would like to think Rapid City is becoming more tolerant. However, it has a long way to go.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:24 PM

127 posts, read 81,846 times
You'd probably be happier in the twin cities or duluth.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:25 PM

6,334 posts, read 5,973,288 times
You'd be welcomed in Vermillion, though there still is that ugly underbelly which makes up more or less 30% of the population. Fortunately it's mostly possible to ignore those types here.

People do commute from here to Sioux Falls for work, though there are certainly days when it would be difficult.

My impression of Brookings is that it's less progressive than Vermillion or SF, though I don't know it well enough to say for sure.

Cities do offer the cushion of anonymity, so SF might be a good option. I'd still be aware of the probable underbelly of 30 - 40%, though.

The people of SD who claim to want government to not interfere in peoples' lives sure do want to interfere in the lives of other people. And they seem oddly obsessive about other people's genitals. Makes ya wonder what's going on in their own personal lives!

Old 02-10-2021, 12:20 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,453,969 times
As others mention, the Twin Cities would be a better option. Don’t even think of coming to neighboring Iowa. The current administration is fighting to take away gay marriage and Governor Kim Reynolds has applauded and singled out Bob Vanderplaats of the Family Leader who equates homosexuality to incest.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:54 PM

132 posts, read 245,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas044 View Post
We are trying to determine whether there is anywhere in South Dakota where LGBT people are integrated into the community, where we might find solace and live a peaceful existence without hatred directed at us. Do you know of a place that fits this description? Perhaps a neighborhood in Sioux Falls or Rapid City, or a progressive town like Brookings or Vermillion? I'm all ears.
I'm not too surprised to hear Watertown hasn't been the best for you. That is probably one of the most unwelcoming and provincial places in the state and I would advise just about anybody looking to relocate to look elsewhere. House prices are high and pay at a lot of the jobs there is laughable. It has the worst weather in the state on top of everything else. LOL

There are a couple of LGBT people in my workplace in Sioux Falls and though no one is openly hostile or insulting, there are still looks and comments behind their backs. Mostly by older people who will be aging out of the workforce in the next decade. Even with the school presence I don't buy places like Vermillion or Brookings as being all that progressive outside of the schools themselves. It's still South Dakota. Maybe the downtown area of Sioux Falls would be an option if anywhere?

Old 02-10-2021, 02:07 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,692,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
I'm not too surprised to hear Watertown hasn't been the best for you. That is probably one of the most unwelcoming and provincial places in the state and I would advise just about anybody looking to relocate to look elsewhere. House prices are high and pay at a lot of the jobs there is laughable. It has the worst weather in the state on top of everything else. LOL

There are a couple of LGBT people in my workplace in Sioux Falls and though no one is openly hostile or insulting, there are still looks and comments behind their backs. Mostly by older people who will be aging out of the workforce in the next decade. Even with the school presence I don't buy places like Vermillion or Brookings as being all that progressive outside of the schools themselves. It's still South Dakota. Maybe the downtown area of Sioux Falls would be an option if anywhere?

Years ago I believe a HS teacher was pressured to resign due to suspicions of him being gay. Probably not much different 20 years later.

Old Today, 12:51 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,237,915 times
I'm sorry to hear about your experience, which you really shouldn't have to put up with/ tolerate. It's also unfortunate that South Dakota's politics/ elected reps are downright hostile towards LGBT residents. Although I would assume Sioux Falls would be a better option for you, I agree with others that you could really find a safe haven/ supportive community where your sexuality is really a non-issue (as it should be) by moving somewhere like Minneapolis. I live in a sleepy residential area here and would guess that a good 20-25% of all homeowners in my n'hood identify as LGBTQIA- most are successful professionals and many are married and raising families here. Good luck with your decision!

Old Today, 09:36 AM

244 posts, read 99,185 times
Move to California. You will get special protections and privileges, it’s California state policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota