U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 06:18 PM

1,430 posts, read 839,856 times

Advertisements

(that is, assuming the pandemic is under control and a vast majority of us have been vaccinated...)

Aren't we all overdue for some kind of vacation???!!!

My wife and I have five days to drive from Devils Tower WY to Chicago, a distance of about 1,000 miles. We are comfortable putting in 500-600 miles a day, so we have a couple of extra days to take our time, do some sightseeing, and stop to experience the states we're passing through.

We are road trippers and we like natural beauty, history, and new experiences. We love driving to and through the USA states. I've been to all 50 states, and I'm traveling with my wife so that she will have too. We both were children traveling with parents the last time we saw Mount Rushmore.

What sites of natural scenery or history would you recommend we see in South Dakota? I'd like to see some of the best that South Dakota has in the short time that we have. We'd love to see some bison! Perhaps we go to the Triple U Buffalo Ranch outside Fort Pierre. I'm the planner between us, and I'm thinking that we may want to see perhaps Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, and the new Dignity statue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 07:04 PM

195 posts, read 73,754 times
The 57th street corn comes to mind...well maybe last summer. This year not sure if it’s set to return

Old 03-29-2021, 07:56 PM

984 posts, read 333,963 times
The Badlands scenic route is pretty cool to drive through.
The Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo is well worth the stop.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:11 PM

6,346 posts, read 6,052,594 times
After you do Devil's tower, Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park and all that area has to offer, please bop North a bit to do Lemmon, SD. The Petrified Wood park and museum there are so fun! You can also stop by John Lopez's sculpture studio, which is something. From Lemmon take a short slide into the very corner of ND and visit Medora and Teddy Roosevelt National Park. Then drop down again to the Badlands. I know that loop North will seem out of your way a bit, but you won't regret it. (You could also go up from Devil's Tower, then loop back down to the Black Hills area destinations afterwards.) You just can't see all that SD offers if you stick to the 90 corridor. If you want to stay with one route going east from the Black Hills, try taking 14 or 18 across. The Little House sites in DeSmet are fun, and I like the Agricultural Museum in Brookings, too.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:30 PM

110 posts, read 59,808 times
corn palace in Mitchell. As mentioned Badlands drive through, rest stop east side of Missouri river on 90. has free museum on lewis and clark.
if 62 or over buy national parks pass if you havent already. Look for Tee Pee style rest stops. (hard to miss)

also spam museum in Austin mn if interested.

have fun

Old Today, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 3,053 times
Iron Mountain Road from the south you will see Mt Rushmore going through the tunnels and pigtail bridges. if your can see badlands in evening after a rain the colors are breathtaking! The grain silos at Faulkton are a great surprise. Northeast South Dakota have lakes and small town American!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota