Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2022, 08:49 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times

Advertisements

I flushed out the anti freeze in my water lines yesterday and did a lot of getting my TT ready to go. Hopefully I can get out and do some camping soon.

I like the more out of the way places. I really like going to Amsden Lake and camping there. It is perfect for watching the night sky with a telescope or for meteor showers. There is no water/sewer or power there so it is usually pretty empty. There are also a ton of trees so wind is never a problem there.

I also really like Lake Carthage. It is a beautiful place with water and power. There is a dump station in town. The only real problem there is wind. The campground area has water on 3 sides so nothing to block the wind. There is also a very nice little campground with water and power on the west side of Carthage with many trees to stop the wind.

Would like to hear of other nice smaller campgrounds in Eastern SD that people like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 09:14 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I flushed out the anti freeze in my water lines yesterday and did a lot of getting my TT ready to go. Hopefully I can get out and do some camping soon.

I like the more out of the way places. I really like going to Amsden Lake and camping there. It is perfect for watching the night sky with a telescope or for meteor showers. There is no water/sewer or power there so it is usually pretty empty. There are also a ton of trees so wind is never a problem there.

I also really like Lake Carthage. It is a beautiful place with water and power. There is a dump station in town. The only real problem there is wind. The campground area has water on 3 sides so nothing to block the wind. There is also a very nice little campground with water and power on the west side of Carthage with many trees to stop the wind.

Would like to hear of other nice smaller campgrounds in Eastern SD that people like.
I don't do much camping anymore since I don't know 3 months in advance whether I'm free for a particular weekend. We used to love to go to Chief White Crane, located below the dam at Gavin's Point. We used to plan camping there around Riverboat Days in Yankton.

A nice little campground we went to last year was at Lake Pahoja located only about 3 miles east of the SD border and south of Larchwood, Iowa. There's a nice campground on the north shore of Lake Poinsett as well. This one might be pretty tough to get a spot in though.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I don't do much camping anymore since I don't know 3 months in advance whether I'm free for a particular weekend. We used to love to go to Chief White Crane, located below the dam at Gavin's Point. We used to plan camping there around Riverboat Days in Yankton.

A nice little campground we went to last year was at Lake Pahoja located only about 3 miles east of the SD border and south of Larchwood, Iowa. There's a nice campground on the north shore of Lake Poinsett as well. This one might be pretty tough to get a spot in though.
I will have to check out the one on the north shore of Lake Poinsett. Several years ago I built the new bathrooms at the State park on the south side of the lake. Thank you for the suggestions.

I go to the smaller out of the way places so I don't need to make reservations. I am retired so I camp during the week when they are usually empty or close to it.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:51 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I will have to check out the one on the north shore of Lake Poinsett. Several years ago I built the new bathrooms at the State park on the south side of the lake. Thank you for the suggestions.

I go to the smaller out of the way places so I don't need to make reservations. I am retired so I camp during the week when they are usually empty or close to it.
I don't know north from south. Jeeesh. The campground at Poinsett I'm talking about IS on the south side.

My bad.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:16 AM

I finally made it out camping. Here is a picture of Lake Carthage from yesterday.

Anybody else get out yet? To make it better I also got my first picking of asparagus Sunday. It was awesome on the grill. In the dozen or so years of growing asparagus this was the latest for my first picking.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody camping yet and your favorite spots in eastern SD-20220510_143749.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: