U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,756 times

Advertisements

Am considering semi-retiring and would like to consider opening a Bed & Breakfast in Redfield. Can anyone tell me the current accomodations in that area and the possibility for success of such a venture? What would be the draw to get people to consider Redfield as a destination? Is there a need for lodging in that area, for hunters, fisherman, reunions, weddings, anything? Is the local community viable, are the townspeople friendly and welcoming, willing to recommond or refer clientele? The area seems to have several hunting lodges, is the area already saturated? What is the fishing capacity of the area. Any attractions aside from Pheasant hunting? Any and all information would be helpful. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:13 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,094,069 times
Hi Guestures and welcome to the forum.

I don't personally know much about Redfield except that it is a pheasant hunting hotspot. The only problem is that it's a small, unpopulated area and I'm not sure if there'd be much going on year-round.

They did used to have a reform school there years ago, but I'm not sure if it's still there. If so, there'd be the possibility of parents and relatives interested in a place to stay. Hopefully someone from that area will come along with more exact info.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:49 PM

19,533 posts, read 9,492,189 times
there are severa B&B's there and hunting lodges as well.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,591 times
Default no opportunities in Redfield

I just left Redfield. I lived and worked there and tried very very hard to like it, but it just didn't work out. I do not think there is a market for your business in Redfield. It is not a destination. There is a (masonic? town?) lodge there, a tiny public library, a health clinic, a liquor store, haircutters, grocery store with bad produce, and not much else there. No traffic lights, about 3 or 4 restaurants all serving burgers and fries, depending on whether you count the gas station. Very few professionals work there, and I believe most of the educated folks living in Redfield commute 20 miles to Little Rock where real career opportunites are.

The local people were not friendly to us, in fact our neighbors shot firearms at us and we had to call the police because they claimed it was not possible that their guns could go that far. The realtor I worked with when I bought property there told me stories about how the police like to give seminars to realtors about how to recognize signs of a meth house (and to report it if they ever saw these signs when showing a home). I never saw a (recovering) meth addict until I moved there and worked with one.

There are many many trailer homes. t's the standard of living. This is not a problem for me. I have been all over the world and, by global standards, a home on wheels that is climate controlled and has plumbing should not be stigmatized. That being said, there is alot of poverty, many uneducated people, and a very insular culture. It was like going back 50 years- not the good way (e.g., your neighbors look out for you and you need not lock your door), but the complete lack of social progress (e.g., suboptimal race relations, lack of interest in the "outside world" and improving one's quality of life). There are multiple RV parks in a town of 1200 people, and I swear almost everyone had an RV or trailer in their driveway. If they live in Redfield, they take their trailers to hunt deer/duck/turkey... If they are incoming, they are going to Tar Camp Park to watch the Arkansas River roll by (not much else going on there).

The company I worked with employs about 120 people, and is a multinational company. When visitors or interviewees come, they have nowhere to stay but Little Rock or Pine Bluff. No lodging at all in Redfield. But, given there is nothing in Redfield (and no resturants of good quality), most are happy to stay in Little Rock.

I wish I had something encouraging to say about Redfield. Please don't make a big mistake with your nest egg. Good luck to you.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire.girl View Post
I just left Redfield. I lived and worked there and tried very very hard to like it, but it just didn't work out. I do not think there is a market for your business in Redfield. It is not a destination. There is a (masonic? town?) lodge there, a tiny public library, a health clinic, a liquor store, haircutters, grocery store with bad produce, and not much else there. No traffic lights, about 3 or 4 restaurants all serving burgers and fries, depending on whether you count the gas station. Very few professionals work there, and I believe most of the educated folks living in Redfield commute 20 miles to Little Rock where real career opportunites are.

The local people were not friendly to us, in fact our neighbors shot firearms at us and we had to call the police because they claimed it was not possible that their guns could go that far. The realtor I worked with when I bought property there told me stories about how the police like to give seminars to realtors about how to recognize signs of a meth house (and to report it if they ever saw these signs when showing a home). I never saw a (recovering) meth addict until I moved there and worked with one.

There are many many trailer homes. t's the standard of living. This is not a problem for me. I have been all over the world and, by global standards, a home on wheels that is climate controlled and has plumbing should not be stigmatized. That being said, there is alot of poverty, many uneducated people, and a very insular culture. It was like going back 50 years- not the good way (e.g., your neighbors look out for you and you need not lock your door), but the complete lack of social progress (e.g., suboptimal race relations, lack of interest in the "outside world" and improving one's quality of life). There are multiple RV parks in a town of 1200 people, and I swear almost everyone had an RV or trailer in their driveway. If they live in Redfield, they take their trailers to hunt deer/duck/turkey... If they are incoming, they are going to Tar Camp Park to watch the Arkansas River roll by (not much else going on there).

The company I worked with employs about 120 people, and is a multinational company. When visitors or interviewees come, they have nowhere to stay but Little Rock or Pine Bluff. No lodging at all in Redfield. But, given there is nothing in Redfield (and no resturants of good quality), most are happy to stay in Little Rock.

I wish I had something encouraging to say about Redfield. Please don't make a big mistake with your nest egg. Good luck to you.
I do not think you were living in REDFIELD, SD

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 AM

OK...I'll try to answer this better, If I can.
Redfield is my birthplace. I grew up, grade school in Tulare, high school in Doland & Catholic Church, in Redfield. HUNTING & farming are the mainstay, Redfield also has the South Dakota Developmental Center, an institution for the mentally handicapped.
there is a community hospital, public library, 2 motel/hotels, a handful of B&B's,eateries, bars....mainstreet is on the ''decline'', but they do have an ''ALCO'' store & 3 car dealers, several gas stations/convienient stores. Churches are abundant, there are plenty to choose from. The city park, ball diamonds & swimming pool are well maintained, and streets seem to be in fair condition.
Aberdeen is 40 miles North, Watertown 70 miles East, Huron 50 miles South.
For anything other than basic supplies, most of the population ''shops out of town''.

Last edited by debey; 06-16-2008 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,094,069 times
HI Spitfire and welcome to the forum. Could you be talking about a town in Arkansas? I don't recognize some of the towns that you mentioned, but there are small towns I've never heard of. But I don't believe the Arkansas River runs through So. Dak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota