Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2023, 09:21 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

I know this board isn't all that active, but perhaps you can help me out. I'm still trying to sneak back home and having a tough go of it, but I may finally have something. I'm excited. I want to be part of the community. I don't want to change a thing. Here's where I need the help.

Typical introduction:

Person 3: Hi John, this is artillery. Artillery is new here and joining us.

John: Hi Artillery, I'm John. We can use all the help we can get. Where did you move from?

Having had this conversation for quite some time, mention of California strikes an immediate reaction in many. Not saying where I'm from makes me seem shady.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 09:44 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I know this board isn't all that active, but perhaps you can help me out. I'm still trying to sneak back home and having a tough go of it, but I may finally have something. I'm excited. I want to be part of the community. I don't want to change a thing. Here's where I need the help.

Typical introduction:

John: Hi Artillery, I'm John. We can use all the help we can get. Where did you move from?

Having had this conversation for quite some time, mention of California strikes an immediate reaction in many. Not saying where I'm from makes me seem shady.

Any thoughts?
"Sneak" back home? I really don't understand that.

If you're MOVING back to SD in the Sioux Falls area few people will give a rat's butt that you're coming from California. Away from the SF area people will be skeptical about you coming from the Land of Fruits and Nuts for a while. It all depends on how strong you hold on to AND verbalize any goofy beliefs that are all too common from that state. Keep in mind, this is a state where most people expect personal accountability (FAR different from California). If you believe in the same, no problems. Hopefully that's one of the main reasons for the move.

If you are originally from this area, you know most people are accepting to others providing that your persona isn't too in their face. In SD, and most everywhere else, there will always be those that may not accept you. That's not something unique to here.

What is your main reason for wanting to move back? The difference between where you're at now and SD couldn't be much greater.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:52 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:

Typical introduction:

Any thoughts?
Tell them you are from California and you have come there to collectivize their farms for the Chinese.

Then smile and wink.

Old 07-10-2023, 12:00 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:

Typical introduction:

Any thoughts?
There's been several people move into my area in the past couple years from Ca and Or. If you ask them where they're from they'll tell you the State of Jefferson or Greater Idaho.

This works well because they aren't lying, and it tells locals the newbys aren't the usual slash and burn liberals from California or Oregon that want to destroy the local culture.

Or like a friend of mine who moved to Washington for a job and just retired and moved back, when they ask he just says, "I'm originally from Bozeman, lived out of state until I could afford to move back home".

Old 07-10-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Tell them you are from California and you have come there to collectivize their farms for the Chinese.

Then smile and wink.
Better keep "winking" to make sure that you're not serious.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:59 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Good thoughts. I like the Greater Idaho thought. I'm going to use that. Jmgg, any read of my posts should quickly peg me as a capitalist and quite opposed to the progressive morons that live here.

If wishes were horses I'd find a job near my hometown, but it's pretty unlikely as said employer doesn't exist, so I'm going to have settle for proximity. I really like Aberdeen. I have some family there. It's big enough to have things, but small enough that it doesn't feel like a city. There's active participation in the community. I like the church. My cousin tells me I'm going to have to trade in my Tesla for a truck, but that's ok. Get one of those nice pretty homes on the lake in Richmond with enough room to do what I want and fishing at my leisure. Maybe restore pianos and pinball machines with free time. Volunteer as a judge for 4-H during the fair. Hopefully all done around fulfilling work helping a company thrive.

I was an accidental Californian. I met my wife during a turnaround and had a choice to make. I stayed. I dont regret it as I've gotten to do lots of things I never would have been able to elsewhere, but this is not where I want to put down permanent roots. So many friends pass through here, unable to hold their own in the competition. My kid is grown. My wife...I can scarecely recognize her anymore in those designer gowns and glittery jewels. She's not wrong in wanting to stay. I'm not wrong in wanting to go.

What's funny is that I never minded telling stories about South Dakota while out here. For many of my colleagues, they are first generation. Maybe coming over as children, but the America they know consists of what's shown on Hollywood and what they see here in Silicon Valley. I don't tell all, just the ones generally curious and they tend to be amazed. You can see them trying to picture it. A community where people know each other, and act better because they know each other. Volunteer fire fighters. Towns with no police and low crime. Active volunteering and just looking out for one another. Open faith. No permits needed for chopping down a tree in your backyard.

The question inevitably at the end comes to....would they accept someone like me (ethnic). I tell them, that depends, but not on your race. In terms of race, you may get dumb questions once in awhile, but it's unlikely to be coming from a mean place, and much more likely to just be naivety. (Argus coverage was an excellent example in Huron). I said, the real trick though is that in small towns, realize these have only existed for maybe 150 years. Someone's family built each thing from nothing. It may not be perfect for today, but you need to take time to soak up the local culture and understand how it works. Get engaged at a much higher level than here. Once people realize you're just one of the group, your inputs will be more appreciated and they will naturally be more inline with shared vision and goals. That does take time though.

Most understand. I think on those conversations as I have the same question now for myself. Wealthy in your 40's quickly changes meaning as we get older. Time spent with quality people. Health and energy. Being part of a supportive community. Working towards meaningful goals and helping along the way. I'm not going to pedestal South Dakota, but it's got a lot of the right stuff already in place. The last thing I want to do is spritz it with California Number 5. (Chanel reference). Rather, I just want to downplay it and make it not a focal point.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Good thoughts. I like the Greater Idaho thought. I'm going to use that. Jmgg, any read of my posts should quickly peg me as a capitalist and quite opposed to the progressive morons that live here.

If wishes were horses I'd find a job near my hometown, but it's pretty unlikely as said employer doesn't exist, so I'm going to have settle for proximity. I really like Aberdeen. I have some family there. It's big enough to have things, but small enough that it doesn't feel like a city. There's active participation in the community. I like the church. My cousin tells me I'm going to have to trade in my Tesla for a truck, but that's ok. Get one of those nice pretty homes on the lake in Richmond with enough room to do what I want and fishing at my leisure. Maybe restore pianos and pinball machines with free time. Volunteer as a judge for 4-H during the fair. Hopefully all done around fulfilling work helping a company thrive.

I was an accidental Californian. I met my wife during a turnaround and had a choice to make. I stayed. I dont regret it as I've gotten to do lots of things I never would have been able to elsewhere, but this is not where I want to put down permanent roots. So many friends pass through here, unable to hold their own in the competition. My kid is grown. My wife...I can scarecely recognize her anymore in those designer gowns and glittery jewels. She's not wrong in wanting to stay. I'm not wrong in wanting to go.

What's funny is that I never minded telling stories about South Dakota while out here. For many of my colleagues, they are first generation. Maybe coming over as children, but the America they know consists of what's shown on Hollywood and what they see here in Silicon Valley. I don't tell all, just the ones generally curious and they tend to be amazed. You can see them trying to picture it. A community where people know each other, and act better because they know each other. Volunteer fire fighters. Towns with no police and low crime. Active volunteering and just looking out for one another. Open faith. No permits needed for chopping down a tree in your backyard.

The question inevitably at the end comes to....would they accept someone like me (ethnic). I tell them, that depends, but not on your race. In terms of race, you may get dumb questions once in awhile, but it's unlikely to be coming from a mean place, and much more likely to just be naivety. (Argus coverage was an excellent example in Huron). I said, the real trick though is that in small towns, realize these have only existed for maybe 150 years. Someone's family built each thing from nothing. It may not be perfect for today, but you need to take time to soak up the local culture and understand how it works. Get engaged at a much higher level than here. Once people realize you're just one of the group, your inputs will be more appreciated and they will naturally be more inline with shared vision and goals. That does take time though.

Most understand. I think on those conversations as I have the same question now for myself. Wealthy in your 40's quickly changes meaning as we get older. Time spent with quality people. Health and energy. Being part of a supportive community. Working towards meaningful goals and helping along the way. I'm not going to pedestal South Dakota, but it's got a lot of the right stuff already in place. The last thing I want to do is spritz it with California Number 5. (Chanel reference). Rather, I just want to downplay it and make it not a focal point.
I had no idea where you were coming from on your initial inquiry. Sorry, didn't "research" you.

I hope everything works out and you complete the move.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 1,324 times
Default California Transplants

Hey artillery77,

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm originally from California. I'm planning to move to SD within the next 1-2 years, so I share similar concerns.

In the way of intro, I'm a semi-retired engineer who is completely fed up with California. Too many problems; don't get me started.

My general feeling is (and please correct me, SD people, I want to know if I'm wrong) when you tell a SD local where you're moving from, immediately tell them why. Then when they get the vibe from you that you're being sincere, that you've thought about it a lot, and that your reasons are pretty good reasons, they'll probably give you a pass. Especially if they have to admit they agree with a bunch of your reasons.

On the lighter side, I really like some of the other comments in this thread:

eddie gein:

ROFL ! Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink (eyelid getting tired)

MTSilvertip:
Use "State of Jefferson"
Hmmm... yeah, that's pretty good. I may even use that!

Regards,

CumminsTowMonkey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota