Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM

6 posts, read 19,521 times

Advertisements

Hi...this is my first post!

For the past eight or nine years, I have been cooking up a trip to South Dakota, and can't get it out of my head, even though I have never stepped foot in the state.

I want to visit Mt. Rushmore, the mammoth dig site (I love mammoths and collect the ivory), Deadwood (my daughter is related to Wild Bill's brother), Crazy Horse, The Flintstones Campground, Laura Ingalls Wilder museum, also, Rapid City seems like a cool town and I want to visit Art Alley....it seems like all the greatest stuff in the world is in South Dakota!

Except the beach though, I do love the ocean!

I'm really hoping I can rake up the dough to go this summer, but split up with my husband last year so money is kind of an issue. I'm still optimistic though.

Does anyone have any tips, advice, recommendations, or anything like that for this first-time visitor who won't have a lot of money and likes art, museums, and anything a little off-kilter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is so much natural beauty in the Hills that you could take a vacation and have your only expenses be food, gas, and lodging. The lakes are beautiful and clear. Spearfish Canyon charges no admission and it's beautiful there. The stream is so pretty and so are the waterfalls. DannyBannany or ElkHunter may be able to give you directions, but there are maps for hiking back into the Canyon so you can catch more of the beautiful waterfalls.

If you like scenery or would enjoy a picnic at a lake, you're looking in the right spot. Instead of a motel, you may want to check into cabins. Some of the cabins are elegant and expensive and others are just bare bones, but very reasonably priced. They do require you to bring your own bed linens and bath towels, etc.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions and I hope you get to come out and see our beautiful state.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I suggest taking a Greyhound to Rapid City. It will save you so much on gas and the Rapid City bus station is smack dab in the middle of downtown. Then find a nearby cheap motel (usually on North Street or above Omaha Street) and rent an economy car from Enterprise (weekend rates as low as $10 per day) then make your way across the Black Hills to all the fun sites. The most entertaining things are always cheap too!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,786 times
Default ...

Don't forget the badlands, sandhills and all the other feature's of this awesome landscape you probably haven't even begun to read about!

Western South Dakota/Nebraska is amongst the most awesome country I have seen!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
Wow, your daughter is related to Wild Bill's brother! Thats awesome!
Agree with what Danny said... its cheap to vacation here... but the attractions are awesome... the western part of SD has Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse... The prices of "stuff" here is cheaper than most places... Gas, hotels, groceries...
The scenery is breath taking out west... Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, and the Badlands Loop are a must

Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,484 times
You'll make it! I've been probably 12 times and have just about seen it all as far as tourist things go. I can speak to that aspect of it pretty well and in fact am on my way out for a week starting on June 28th to do it again. I will be sure to post a detailed trip report with lots of pictures for you and anyone else looking to vacation in the hills. I'm planning on including some hotel info and reviews as well as day to day and cost saving tips.

Good luck! Hope you make it soon.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks! I am planning to camp and hike so will appreciate the scenery up close! Badlands is a must. I was just looking at the picture of the Corn Palace, I'm going to have to go there too, and any other place like that I can find.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchysoul View Post
Thanks! I am planning to camp and hike so will appreciate the scenery up close! Badlands is a must. I was just looking at the picture of the Corn Palace, I'm going to have to go there too, and any other place like that I can find.
Oh cool, come on over. It sounds like you're interested in Laura Ingalls Wilder so as long as you're coming over to Mitchell, you may want to take a trip up to DeSmet where she lived.

Mitchell also has a museum, but if you're interested in Indian artifacts, we have the Archeodome out by the Lake. I believe that, at certain times of the year anyway, you can actually get out there and dig in the village.

BHDreams, we're going to hold you to it. We'll admire any pics you can take.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:00 PM

I'm very interested in seeing Indian artifacts, and would definitely want to visit DeSmet. Must save my pennies!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
BHDreams, we're going to hold you to it. We'll admire any pics you can take.
No worries Jammie, I went ahead and rented a nice camera package to take on the trip. I have a decent camera, but I wanted something great. I will try to get some great shots of the newly green hills for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota