Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times

Advertisements

Usually we just drive I90, but this year I was thinking perhaps a little something different for the ride home.

I think there are a lot of state highways that connect from Hermosa to Yankton --- anyone drive this? I will be towing a htt, how are the roads?

Any advice to make this vacation a little more memorable would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 03:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
You can go to Hermosa and then take old 40 down to Ogalala and then 18 across the state. But I really wouldn't call that very scenic. It's about as boring, or more so, then I-90. haha Also, those roads are two lane, narrow, most places don't even have a parking lane. No shoulder. However, the road is good, or fairly so.

I have to ask. What is a htt?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Is an htt a "half ton trailer"?

Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Nope, its short for hybrid travel trailer. It's hardsided, but the ends fold out like a pop up campers. I like it because we can smell the mountain air and still be able to have a toilet

Thanks for the advice, this is one I'll have to think over.

Is there any places that you might recommend for overnight camping around Yankton? We will be taking a night in Chamberlain on the way into the Black Hills...

By the way, I have to say that I love your state, and absolutely love your state parks! Like everyone else who has visited the Black Hills, if only I could make a living there I would move in a heartbeat.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton, South Dakota

You could camp by Lewis and Clark Lake.

I'm not sure what route I've been thinking of because I never know what the name of the road is that I'm on, but one of the guys will figure it out.

When you head out to the Hills, you can go down by the Pickstown area and it seems like as you head west, you go through Winner, too. Is that the route that's already been referred to and if not, what road am I talking about? Anyway, it's a pretty area to travel through. I-90 is much faster and a better road, but that may be ok, too.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Yes Jammie,

Highway 18 is the one that goes through Winner.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
camping, I'm always looking a new or different route when I take trips...
State Highway 44 between Platte and Winner is kinda scenic...Has some steep grades and curves though. Other than that, I think US Highway 18 would be the only other alternative to I-90.
I'm not sure about the condition of Highway 18, but SD is usually pretty good about keeping up on roads. You might want to email somebody at the DOT about the condition of the road.
South Dakota Department of Transportation

Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
If you are camping near Yankton, there are many great campsites on Lewis and Clark Lake with several state parks, most notably Lewis and Clark. There are some campsites and a couple of nice campgrounds across the river in Nebraska. There is a lot to do in there area. One can fish, swim, hike, bike, or just plain have a good time around the campfire. The camprgrounds are in areas where there are a lot of shade trees, which is nice in the summertime with keeping cool, adding shade, and providing a quaint atmosphere. You will have a lot of fun in the area.

Yankton will have what you need for supplies and additional services if you need any. There are a couple of gas stations, one being a Shell station and the other one a Phillips 66 (during 2006 but may have changed to something else by now), that are near the lake along with a couple of local restaurants.

From Rapid to Yankton, I am more familiar on the roads closer to the Yankton area. Either from I-90, US 18 or SD 44, one should take SD 50 (it meets up with either three of these highways) over to Yankton and this road will provide the most direct route. SD 50 is more interesting to look at than SD 44 and US 18 east of the Wagner/Platte area. One can see the Missori River bluffs from a distance in spots.

When you go to Yankton, check out the new bridge (Yankton Discovery Bridge). I was there during my trip back from Las Vegas/Colorado about two weeks ago and the bridge is progressing quite nicely. Unfortunately, the old Meridian Bridge is closed due to repairs being made to the gussets (which there was rust found) to keep the bridge in place until the new one comes online this fall. The old Meridan Bridge will get turned into a bike/pedestrian bridge after when the Yankton Discovery Bridge opens.

When eating, I love Bonanza, which has order items along with a salad bar. Their Pizza Ranch is good too. Yankton is a nice community overall. Thought about relocating there a few years ago, but ended up choosing the Sioux Falls area.

Good luck with your trip.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:14 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
I remember a few years ago, I was driving back to SF from Rapid City. I took Highway 44 southeast out of Rapid and drove through the tiny town of Scenic... I continued on, and I crossed into the Badlands National Park... I had visited the Badlands on my way there... and payed for the National Park pass...the pass is valid for 7 days... but I threw away the pass/receipts... bad idea haha...

Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,115 times
Yankton has both federal and state campgrounds around Lewis and Clark Lake. However you need to make reservations in advance...especially on weekends. You might be able to get some first come first serve during the week, but the federals would be your best bet there. State Parks require an entry fee plus the cost of the pad. There are a couple of private campgrounds on HWY 52 also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota