U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 AM

655 posts, read 826,080 times

Advertisements

Will be driving from Rapid City to Sioux City with daughter. Charting the map out, it looks like a lot of driving "out in the middle of nowhere" Is there anything I should plan or look for? How far between towns along the way? Are there emergency services and cell phone reception in these areas? Any good places to stay or stop along the way? Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,590,324 times
The route should be safe for the most part. The thing that you want to be concerned for is deer, which is more prevelant during dawn, dusk, and nighttime hours. Usually there is a 20-30 miles on average for towns with convenience stores. Cell phone coverage in good in most areas, better when you are east of the Missouri River. More dead areas would lie in West River due to terrain and not as many towns and people, but it is not horrible along the interstate (worse on the two lane roads outside of the interstate). Between Sioux Falls and Sioux City, you should be fine for sure, but traffic is heavier than on I-90.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,886,712 times
Yup, what Chris said. You should be fine. You may want to consider getting a set of deer chasers on your car. Some people don't find them useful,but we have personally had incidents that made us feel they served their purpose.

If you're question is partly about physical safety, you shouldn't have a problem. MOST people would stop to help if your car broke down.

I've found that a trac phone has actually got pretty good coverage even where cell phones may have a problem. I have no idea how they work or if towers are involved, but I'll take my trac phone over DH's cell any day.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,089,266 times
Like everyone else said, you should be fine. I've made the trip across state so many times and the only time I had any trouble was in winter. It's actualy a very enjoyable trip if you are not in a rush. If you have time stop at Wall Drug, Al's Oasis, and the Corn Palace!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM

955 posts, read 3,506,855 times
We also go back and forth all the time to visit family and we really have great cell service the entire way which is nice (plus I know my on-star works the entire way as well). There are little towns along the way - places to gas up and streach etc We go as far as Mitchell and head north, occasionally going to Sious Falls first to see family there as well. I have driven it many times with just me and my toddler and new baby and I feel very safe It's a very easy drive so just watch for deer and you should have no issues!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:51 PM

655 posts, read 826,080 times
Hey thanks everyone for the tips. I just found they have nice rest stops every 30-40 miles along the route too. Should be a nice drive.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:50 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,590,324 times
When filling up for gas, if your car is fuel efficient and has a big enough tank, I suggest filling up at the Vermillion exit (Exit 26 on I-29) at the Coffee Cup (BP). The gas prices are oftentimes cheaper than Sioux Falls and the gas is good gas (runs like a charm in my car). The truck stop is handy and a good place to stop. I also like the new Kum & Go on the eastern exit of Elk Point and is priced similar to the Coffee Cup. Also, Sioux City is normally 5 to 10 cents cheaper than Sioux Falls for gas.

Places that I have filled up often enough on I-90 is on the Plankinton exit (the second one) at the Coffee Cup (Sinclair) or the stations in Kimball. Both have traditionally been competitively priced on the their fuel. It depends with Mitchell, the gas stations north of Exit 330 are generally lower priced than those off Exit 332 during tourist season. I have noticed this a few weeks back having to make a quick trip up to Highmore. Sioux Falls is normally reasonable at most places.

I will caution you, there may be detours and road work on I-90 between Hartford and I-29 and the interstate will be head to head traffic for several miles. You may want to go to South Dakota Department of Transportation to see the full description and the site will let you know what to expect.

Have a great trip, travelmate 38.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>