U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Status: ", Bullwinkle J. Moose for president!" (set 20 days ago)

17,421 posts, read 23,622,045 times

Advertisements

Good morning! Got some questions for you South Dakota folks. I'm planning a trip to Sheridan, Wyoming in the early fall and then visit friends in the Omaha-Council Bluffs area. I'm a mom and pop business kind of a guy when it comes to motels and restaurants. Regarding Rapid City and Sioux Falls, what would you recommend? Looking for a room where my car is parked close to the room. Regarding restaurants, looking for a good family restaurant with a good vegetable/salad bar. Will take my time and stay in both cities in successive nights. I'm also a music fan; love to dig through mom and pop record stores, indoor flea markets, consignment antique store booths, etc. Last time I was in S.D. was '88. I remember Rockin' Records in Rapid City, don't think it is there anymore. What do you people suggest? Appreciate any tips you have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,098,599 times
Double H that sounds like a fun trip! Some good mom and pop restaurants in Rapid City is The Millstone on La Crosse Street and the Parkway Restaurant on East Boulevard. Both are off the La Crosse Street exit on I-90 so you wouldn't have to do much searching. Mom and pop hotels can also be found on La Crosse Street. If you want a really nice privately owned hotel try the Alex Johnson Hotel downtown. It's the oldest hotel in Rapid City.

Have a fun trip!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Pulled up the sites on both restaurants-look like my type of places for chowing down. Thanks Danny!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,595,886 times
DOUBLE H,

Sioux Falls and the Sioux Falls area has many good restaurants. The Fryn' Pan on 41st St. is a locally owned group of restaurants and has a good salad bar and is a family-style restaurants. The food is good and reasonable for a sit-down place. This may be the best locally-run restaurant with a good salad bar. Other locations include E. 10th St. near I-229 and W. 12th St. and Western Ave.

Rollin' Pin is off of I-29 on Russell. and is a family-style restaurant that may serve you well.

Another popular local place is Keg Chicken, which has two locations in Sioux Falls and has excellent chicken.

There are plenty of local stores in Sioux Falls. One is Last Stop CD shop on west 41st St. and East 10th St. (near I-29) and another is Zandroz (bookstore) in the downtown area. Sioux Falls has quite a few local stores downtown and a few sprinkled along Minnesota Ave. and 41st St. Ernie November has a location on 12th St. near Western Ave. that has music.

As for mom-and-pop hotels, there are a couple off of Russell and a few more off of Cliff (Cloud 9). There are also a few off of 12th St. I would not recommend staying at the ones east of Western Ave. Couple are near the I-229 and 10th St. interchange.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:16 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,170,288 times
Double H,
I would recommend Rosie's Cafe on Madison Street, Bob's Cafe on 12th Street, and Hamburger Inn on East 10th Street.
Rosie's is a "hidden treasure" with true home cooking. I thought I heard once that they were only open for lunch.
Bob's is famous for its broasted chicken.
I did a little search on it, and they have a website:
Bob's Carry Out & Delivery - Home
Hamburger Inn has a long history... There claim to fame is the Egg Burger... Here's a link to a news story on it that I dug up:
News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa

For lodging, the only one I could think of is the Oaks Hotel at I-29 & Russell, or the Best Western Ramkota, which is in the same vicinity.

You might want to check out Ernie November. They have 2 locations... but a little "hippy-ish"... but they have a lot of music stuff.

Hopefully you'll be in town when Benson's Flea Market is here... Its at the W.H. Lyon Fairgrounds. It's South Dakota's largest and oldest flea market. It's the first weekend of every month.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM

MJ does Sioux Falls have an Ernie November too? Rapid City has one and I saw one when I was in Minneapolis. I didn't realize they were a chain. Same with Play It Again Sports, we have one and I saw on in Saint Paul. Weird.

Double H, you may also want to take a look at the mom and pop shops in downtown Rapid City. Global Market, Prairie Edge, St. Joseph Street Antiques, The Shirt Shack, Celtic Connection, and Who's Hobby House are a few of my favorites. If you need wine and cigars also check out Vino 100 and Tinder Box. They have a great selection. Also, a hookah lounge called Ifrits just opened downtown. That might be fun too!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 PM

There is a good local consignment clothing store in Sioux Falls. Try it Again, which is a local place, is in a strip mall on W. 26th St. and Marion Road on the northeast corner. They have daytime hours.

Many of the neighboring towns around Sioux Falls have good eating establishments. Tea and Hartford have good steakhouses. Tea and Brandon both have popular sports bars.

Even though Pizza Ranch is an Upper Midwest Chain (many in smaller towns), it has a good salad bar with veggies and a buffet with pizza and chicken. Sioux Falls has a location near 41st and Kiwanis and the other one being on East 10th St. attached to Sunshine Foods. The pizza buffets are very popular. Tea, Hartford, and Brandon have them also). The pizza is good and I like them better than Pizza Hut and Dominos.

B&G Milky Way is a local business and a favorite for um um good ice cream. Their ice cream is one of the best around . They have four locations around Sioux Falls and are ice cream stands where you walk up to the window and place an order. There is one not too far from Ernie November on 12th St.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Man, have I got some investigating to do! Seriously, I appreciate everyone's input. I have nothing against chain motels and restaurants, but I'm at the point of my life where I prefer contributing to a local economy. Family owned restaurants always has the best food! Chris19! I'll stop in those music places you suggested and bring trade material with me. Been in many a used lp/cd store in my day-you never know what you are going to find! Danny B! Wine and Cigars? OOOHHH!!! MJ1986! Forgot about Ernie Novembers! Chris 19! Ice Cream was declared VERBOTEN on my diet but I'll be on vacation so there. NYAHHH!!!!! Vino 100-hmmm!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 PM

Sioux Falls has quite a few Mexcian and Chinese restaurants that are mom and pop operations. Most of these restaurants are very good eating places. Phillips Ave. Diner in downtown SF would be a neat place to stop by and have something to eat. Downtown SF has a few locally-run eating places in addition to what MJ1986 has suggested. Brimarck Inn, Sioux Falls Inn, and Arena Inn on Russell are other good mom and pop hotels, they did not come to mind earlier.

There is the Taste of India restaurant in the Ramada Inn on Russell.

One of my favorite Chinese Restaurants, even though it is quick Chinese but locally owned, is China Express on 41st St and INCA (Mexican food-heard good things about it) nearby. Both are acress from the Western Mall. Puerto Vallarta is another good Mexican Restaurant in Sioux Falls.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 AM

If you want an ethnic mom and pop restaurant in Rapid City try Mongolian Grill. It's kind of like a Benihana where they cook it in front of you on a hibachi only you get to choose your meat, veggies, and sauces. There are several Chinese, Russian, and Thai restaurants on North Street too. Also, Tally's is a great choice downtown for breakfast and there are several bagel shops and coffee shops downtown. Bully Blends is very popular and B&L Bagels is great too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>