Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 AM

64 posts, read 261,047 times

Advertisements

I was just in Ft. Pierre last month, and wasn't very impressed. It looks like the place just got hit with a twister, and they are still trying to recover from it. It seems the only thing that town has going for it is the Missouri river. We got hit with bad weather almost every night, and got eaten alive by skeeters during the day. Plus it is almost all flat with no mountains in the distance. I definately prefer the eastern part of SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXIMUZ View Post
I was just in Ft. Pierre last month, and wasn't very impressed. It looks like the place just got hit with a twister, and they are still trying to recover from it. It seems the only thing that town has going for it is the Missouri river. We got hit with bad weather almost every night, and got eaten alive by skeeters during the day. Plus it is almost all flat with no mountains in the distance. I definately prefer the eastern part of SD.
they did get hit some very strong winds, and had a lot of dammage, not long ago. Having an aunt that moved to Ft Pierre, about 10 years, ago, I will say that I can see the changes, and the town move forward, with each visit.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXIMUZ View Post
Ft Pierre has bigger hills then anywhere in Eastern South Dakota, doesn't it? As far as Mountains, South Dakota could only wish.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 PM

190 posts, read 433,703 times
Speaking of Pukwana.
I once heard that Pukwana had an Old University but it did not go well.
The students were ashamed to say they went to Old P U!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:27 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ft Pierre has bigger hills then anywhere in Eastern South Dakota, doesn't it? As far as Mountains, South Dakota could only wish.

HELLO!!!!
ELKHUNTER!!!!!!!

so nice to hear the boom of your voice!!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
As far as Mountains, South Dakota could only wish.
Oh I beg to differ EH... Harney Peak is at 7,242 feet in the Black Hills Range and Mount Mitchell is at 6,684 feet in the Appalchian Mountains. Of course, we don't compare to those majestic Rockies out west.

There's a Colorado joke: "You know you're from Colorado when someone from out east says 'We have mountains too' and you just laugh."

By the way, great to hear from you. Where ya been!?!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Oh I beg to differ EH... Harney Peak is at 7,242 feet in the Black Hills Range and Mount Mitchell is at 6,684 feet in the Appalchian Mountains. Of course, we don't compare to those majestic Rockies out west.

There's a Colorado joke: "You know you're from Colorado when someone from out east says 'We have mountains too' and you just laugh."

True, the Black Hills are close. But the post I responded to talked about East River. I remember growing up in Hand County. If you stood in your driveway and took your foot and pushed up a pile of gravel, you had the biggest hill in 3 counties.

Two things, been fighting a minor illness along with trying to move at the same time. The two just don't go well together.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Well it's great to have you back EH. I hope all is going well!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 PM

314 posts, read 930,824 times
Quote:

Just a little FYI...the Appalachian Range is the oldest mountain range in the world....were as high as the himalayas....they just old and worn down now. The mountain tops here are actually the old valley bottoms and the mountains that were in between are washed away.

Pretty cool geology here too just not with the visuals of snow capped peaks.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 AM

87 posts, read 333,071 times
Quote:
I know, not the most pleasant thread, but I'm just curious. What South Dakota town is your least favorite and why?

Mine would have to be Wall. It's out on the prairie, it's deadly hot in the summer, windy and blistering cold in the winter, and the people there have always seemed so rude. Also, I hate the name "Wall". How creative...
Mobridge - a former girlfriend was from Mobridge and on the occasions I visited, I always found a sense of despair in the town. When I mentioned it to her, she responded, "You think it's depressing and you're just visiting? Most of these people will spend their whole lives here and never leave. You would be depressed if you were in their situation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota