Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times

Advertisements

McCain's too many homes problem

Now things like this bother me, too. It'll be interesting to know if it's totally true OR if it was said in a joking manner.

I have also always paid attention to the candidates and the things they plan on doing. Besides the weather forum, CNN is my friend.

Something else that is kind of scary was a comment made by a voter from West Virginia after their Democratic primary. She said, "Hillary is lower middle class to poor so she can understand our situation better." Yea, they talked to her as she was leaving the voting booth.

BH, this thread isn't in vain. It's always good for us all to be thinking and aware. Even if we don't agree on things, at least we're all participating in the process that many people have even died for so we can have the privilege of voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,541 times
I think we should ban them from doing any commercials. I'm sick of all the lies and twists of the truth. I wish we could have an election without all the bad mouthing!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
Ok, for the record, I did not post this to smear Obama with a bunch of false negative information. I agree there is a lot of that. When I first received the email with these quotes, I suspected they were overblown, taken out of context, and so forth but I wanted to be sure. I never found much about them but I did find them reposted in reviews of the books which concerned me. I posted to motivate you to do a little of your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Now that I have read the snopes.com info presented by Jammie, I admit I feel somewhat better about them but not 100%. I think regardless of the context, Obama is very focused and conflicted about race and religion emotionally. I believe the issues and plans to address them regardless of the promises will be affected. That's my opinion, yours may differ.

Every major decision he would make as president will first be measured against race by the media and the public before the practicality or reasonability of the decision is weighed. I'm not sure if that is good or bad but I think it has the potential to slow due process and cloud many issues. Again, come to your own conclusions on that, but time will tell.

Will McCain raise taxes on health care, maybe....

Will Obama leave that alone but raise taxes on everything else, maybe...

Ultimately, we are faced with choosing to vote for either candidate based on the issues that are most personal to each of us while trying to ignore the issues that aren't. Some will vote on how they feel it will affect their wallet, some on abortion, some on gay marriage, some on Iraq, and some will never vote for Obama because he is black no matter what happens.

If any of this inspires you to do a little more of your own research before you vote, so that your decision will at least be a little more informed than it would have been by simply watching the commercials, then I'd say this thread is a success.

I think part of the reason is the fact that like all candiates for any public office, they want to reach the majority of the voters and please them....good political sense on that hand but also, the more people that you try to please, the more you anger....My grandfather gave me a piece of valuable advice a few years ago, 'never discuss politics or religion with you're friends, they never mix' (friends and politics/relgion)

Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
McCain's too many homes problem

Something else that is kind of scary was a comment made by a voter from West Virginia after their Democratic primary. She said, "Hillary is lower middle class to poor so she can understand our situation better." Yea, they talked to her as she was leaving the voting booth.

BH, this thread isn't in vain. It's always good for us all to be thinking and aware. Even if we don't agree on things, at least we're all participating in the process that many people have even died for so we can have the privilege of voting.
Actually, i don't think we disagreed on anything? I'm glad you found the clarification I didn't but I'm still glad I put it out there to make you (and others) go look for it.

Hillary, lower class/poor? Huh? I swear people are just crazy.

You know, if you look long enough, you can find good and bad in any public figure. Look at Malcom X, whom Obama thinks of as a hero. Malcom had a deep hatred for whites, openly calling any and all whites "devils".

On the other hand, he worked hard to motivate his people/followers to educate themselves and work harder to gain advantages in life. I don't think for one second Malcom X would condone the current thug/rapper/gansta lifestyle and would do everything he could to steer people away from that. I wish he was still around even though I certainly couldn't agree with everything he believed.

I personally believe EVERYTHING we see and hear in the media about Obama and McCain is manipulated and sharpened so much that none of us REALLY know who they are at heart.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
I sometimes think that the media is nitpicking on Obama more than McCain. Probably due him being young, free-flowing, and black instead of being old, pruny, and white (and probably senile with remembering how many houses he has). One example is when McCain goes overseas and the media did not make a big deal of it. Oh my goodness, Obama goes across the world to get acquainted with world leaders and to visit our troops. He is damned if he does and damned if he does not.

Even on the networks that may have a liberal slant, I do not always believe what I see or hear on Obama and McCain. I certainly do not on conservative slanted stations such as FoxNews. I take what is said from each perspective and sort it out for myself. The media manipulates both candidates, not just McCain.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I sometimes think that the media is nitpicking on Obama more than McCain.
I'm not sure what media you have been watching but ever since Obama pretty much came out of nowhere I've seen media and his supporters pretty much praising this guy like he's a Saint. That's not to say there isn't negative coverage about him, but there hasn't been a candidate in our lifetime that hasn't had negative coverage at one point or another. If anything all Obama seems to do is say the word "change" and people get all excited, and quite frankly I just don't get the hype around him. It is what it is though I guess.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I sometimes think that the media is nitpicking on Obama more than McCain. Probably due him being young, free-flowing, and black instead of being old, pruny, and white (and probably senile with remembering how many houses he has). One example is when McCain goes overseas and the media did not make a big deal of it. Oh my goodness, Obama goes across the world to get acquainted with world leaders and to visit our troops. He is damned if he does and damned if he does not.

Even on the networks that may have a liberal slant, I do not always believe what I see or hear on Obama and McCain. I certainly do not on conservative slanted stations such as FoxNews. I take what is said from each perspective and sort it out for myself. The media manipulates both candidates, not just McCain.
Chris,

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. I'm not sure what the media slant is in SD compared to FL, but I can tell you that with the exception of McCain's own campaign adds, the media here rarely even mentions him at all. From what I can see, the media treats Obama either as if he is the only candidate or as if he has already won. Be careful about placing too much value on young and free flowing as opposed to "old, pruny, and white". Not that the status quo is always acceptable, but I'll bet on experience in troubled times any day over "young and free flowing". By the way, Reagan might have been considered old and pruny...

This is from my own business experience. I've personally seen many young, free flowing, hot shot, kind of guys hired for positions they have little or no experience in because of the way they look, speak, and how many degrees they have. More often than not, they didn't really have a clue how to do their jobs and failed miserably. At least they looked good doing it I guess...

I worked for WCI Communities (now bankrupt). WCI had a habit of hiring those kinds of guys. The president of the luxury tower division once brought a young (maybe 20 or 21) college kid to one of the job sites. He walked up to the on site engineer and project manager who were both seasoned and experienced in their careers and actually thought it was a good idea to introduce the kid as "meet your new future boss". It was his first day EVER on a construction site. Needless to say, it didn't go over well. I met the hot shot kid. His ego was as big as a building and he knew literally nothing and had ZERO experience. Am I off track here, maybe a little but what experience does Obama have in foreign policy and or running a country?

It's difficult to weed out all of the pros and cons, but you get my drift.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
BH, I didn't mean that you and I had disagreed~I just meant people in general cause half of us will probably vote for one candidate while the other half will vote for the other. Of course, it won't be 50/50, but you know what I mean.

I just have a bit of an issue with all the negative things said about Obama and this is why. I actually like a lot of things he believes in and hopes to accomplish if he's elected. You've all probably gone to the websites of the two candidates and studied how they stand on the different issues. But I've just often wondered if there would be this much negativity thrown at him if he was white. He's had a lot of obstacles such as the two Pastors and even Jesse Jackson has been negative about him. IMHO the latter has a problem with him cause HE wanted to be the first non-white Prez and it didn't work out for him. I'd never personally vote for Jackson and it's not because he's black.

This is just really shocking to me that I feel this way because before the primaries even started, I was routing for McCain. I still think he's a good guy and I respect him mostly because of his actions while in the military. I had also been a lifelong Republican until just recently. My thoughts are still mainly Republican, but honestly~some of this just hasn't been working out. I voted for Bush in the first election and he did quite well considering the circumstances. There were issues I didn't agree with, but again voted for him in the second election cause I felt he'd still be a better choice then his opponent. (Actually, I still feel it was the best choice of the two) But seriously, our country needs a boost cause things just aren't going that well. I really have no idea if Obama is the answer cause there is only so much a Prez can do, but I'm just not sure we can continue in the direction we've been going.

And did somebody say, "Ronald Reagan"???? I just adored him as a Prez and as a person. He just had the best sense of humor. Remember what he said when he was shot???? Now how many people would react that way?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
Chris,

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. I'm not sure what the media slant is in SD compared to FL, but I can tell you that with the exception of McCain's own campaign adds, the media here rarely even mentions him at all. From what I can see, the media treats Obama either as if he is the only candidate or as if he has already won. Be careful about placing too much value on young and free flowing as opposed to "old, pruny, and white". Not that the status quo is always acceptable, but I'll bet on experience in troubled times any day over "young and free flowing". By the way, Reagan might have been considered old and pruny...

This is from my own business experience. I've personally seen many young, free flowing, hot shot, kind of guys hired for positions they have little or no experience in because of the way they look, speak, and how many degrees they have. More often than not, they didn't really have a clue how to do their jobs and failed miserably. At least they looked good doing it I guess...

I worked for WCI Communities (now bankrupt). WCI had a habit of hiring those kinds of guys. The president of the luxury tower division once brought a young (maybe 20 or 21) college kid to one of the job sites. He walked up to the on site engineer and project manager who were both seasoned and experienced in their careers and actually thought it was a good idea to introduce the kid as "meet your new future boss". It was his first day EVER on a construction site. Needless to say, it didn't go over well. I met the hot shot kid. His ego was as big as a building and he knew literally nothing and had ZERO experience. Am I off track here, maybe a little but what experience does Obama have in foreign policy and or running a country?

It's difficult to weed out all of the pros and cons, but you get my drift.
You have some valid points in your experiences and your comments. I have respect for Reagan as a person, although I disgree with some of his domestic policies. Reagan had the courage and vision to confront the challenges of the day, which is admirable. I would think that McCain would be similar.

I am a little scared to vote for McCain due to his hot temper and some of his positions on issues such as health care (taxing health care benefits). I wonder if he and the party truely care about this middle class at this point of time or cater to the interests of the rich, no matter what the cost would be to the middle class America (the backbone of our country).

Sometimes we need a mix of young and old to keep balance. Young people bring new ideas and perspectives, not all bad, to the table. More experienced and older workers bring experience along with a certain level of expertise (with their years in particular area(s). I would be cautious in branding all young people as naieve, inexperienced, and arrogant just as much as thinking old people are pruny, worn-out, and stuck in their ways. Each age group has its good and bad.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 PM

343 posts, read 1,084,971 times
You know what I can't stand? John McCain attack ads against Barack Obama during the Olympics! The Olympics are a time to set aside differences and compete. Not to divide the country! SHAME ON MCCAIN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: