Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,484 times

Advertisements

I first received an email with a list of these quotes and thinking it was some sort of overblown/fake attack on Obama, I decided to poke around on the net to verify whether or not they are real. From what i can find, they DO appear to be accurate. After reading this, how can anyone seriously consider voting for him? How in the world did he win the State of South Dakota? Read on and comment.

These are direct quotes from Obama's book "Dreams From My Father"

From Dreams of My Father: "I ceased to advertise my
mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to
Suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to
Whites."

From Dreams of My Father : "I found a solace in
Nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity
Against my mothers race."

From Dreams of My Father: "There was something about
Him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself,
Maybe. And white."

From Dreams of My Father: ; "It remained necessary to
Prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to
The black masses, to strike out and name names."

From Dreams of My Father: "I never emulate white men
And brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It
Was into my father's image, the black man, son of
Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought
In myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm,
DuBois and Mandela."

From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims
Should the political winds shift in an ugly
Direction."
This in and of itself is treason as far as I'm concerned. it is an outright violation of separation of church and state.

I believe this country was founded on Christian values, not that we always do a good job of maintaining them. Separation of church and state was mandated to ensure that the government would NEVER be a pawn of an oppressive religion (as England was throughout the middle ages). Freedom OF Religion was meant to ensure anyone the right to practice their religion PEACEFULLY in anyway they see fit. There was NEVER a Freedom FROM Religion act. There was a poll on MSNBC this week asking if "In God We Trust" should be removed from all of our currency and I was shocked to find a full 40% voted yes to remove it.

Given the above, How can ANYONE remotely consider voting for Obama? I realize these quotes are perhaps taken out of context and Obama will claim, he's changed since those days. I don't buy it. To me, he is a racist, plain and simple. If McCain had written a book where he'd claimed to deny having had a mixed race relative, and was proud to be White, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and others would be inciting riots in the streets!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,579 times
i'll admit i haven't read the book but are some of these comments taken out of context? This happens quite a bit....Not saying that it is but I've learned over my 24 years of life that things are not always as they appear

Old 08-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
i'll admit i haven't read the book but are some of these comments taken out of context? This happens quite a bit....Not saying that it is but I've learned over my 24 years of life that things are not always as they appear
I agree with you there about things not always being as they appear, and admit that I haven't read the book so it is difficult to place these in the proper context.

However, IF ANY of these are valid and not wildly exaggerated, then there seems to be a big problem with Obama. No?

I merely post these and ask everyone to verify for themselves if these quotes should be cause for concern and further, I invite anyone who may have a different perspective to dispute them or try to justify them. If Obama truly published these remarks, and the general public is not aware of it, well, I think they should be.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
It'd be an interesting read to go through the whole book.

One thing that I do know about his opponent, John McCain is that he is against national healthcare. He feels every man should be for himself, which is fine for him since he has free family healthcare for the rest of his life and that of his wife. Also, the premiums that our employer pays toward our health care~he wants to start taxing that since in reality, it is income. I can't provide a link, but it was on CNN so I consider it to be reliable.

Really, it's like it's always been~we have to chose the worse of two evils. We're getting by, but I just don't know how much more of a hit we'll be able to endure throughout time. If both DH and I have to start paying tax on our insurance premiums that our employer pays, it'll cost us ANOTHER $2,000 a year in taxes. That's gonna make it rough especially with the fact that even though the price of oil is dropping, the news has just said that our heating prices will be going UP.

Just adding~I'm not at home, but I have a link under my Faves and I'll try to see if I can find anything about how factual his statements are.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
I have heard about the book making claims about Obama and it was talked about on the news networks. If I read it, my opinion will not likely change. The claims about Obama are about fishy as a dead and rotten fish on the shores with flies hovering over it.

Yes, Obama is not perfect. For heavens sake, these swiftboaters and some critics need to get a life.

I am sure that McCain has his share of skeletons in the closet just as much as Obama. Let's focus on the issues that are facing this nation and world and not fall for the nitpicking bull that the swiftboaters and some pundits on the right side (Rush Limbaugh-what a joke) and the left winged side. Both candidates have valid points and plans for the next four years. Let their messages be heard and let the Americans decide for themselves instead of being hijaked with messages of smear campaigns and negativity.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
snopes.com: Barack Obama in His Own Words

Found it!!! A lot of that is pretty much taken out of context as you can see. I've also gotten a lot of negative email about Obama. I just delete it.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
I was just going to post that link Jammie Totally out of context and untrue Good work! I love Snopes!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Default Well done

Ok, for the record, I did not post this to smear Obama with a bunch of false negative information. I agree there is a lot of that. When I first received the email with these quotes, I suspected they were overblown, taken out of context, and so forth but I wanted to be sure. I never found much about them but I did find them reposted in reviews of the books which concerned me. I posted to motivate you to do a little of your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Now that I have read the snopes.com info presented by Jammie, I admit I feel somewhat better about them but not 100%. I think regardless of the context, Obama is very focused and conflicted about race and religion emotionally. I believe the issues and plans to address them regardless of the promises will be affected. That's my opinion, yours may differ.

Every major decision he would make as president will first be measured against race by the media and the public before the practicality or reasonability of the decision is weighed. I'm not sure if that is good or bad but I think it has the potential to slow due process and cloud many issues. Again, come to your own conclusions on that, but time will tell.

Will McCain raise taxes on health care, maybe....

Will Obama leave that alone but raise taxes on everything else, maybe...

Ultimately, we are faced with choosing to vote for either candidate based on the issues that are most personal to each of us while trying to ignore the issues that aren't. Some will vote on how they feel it will affect their wallet, some on abortion, some on gay marriage, some on Iraq, and some will never vote for Obama because he is black no matter what happens.

If any of this inspires you to do a little more of your own research before you vote, so that your decision will at least be a little more informed than it would have been by simply watching the commercials, then I'd say this thread is a success.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
I pay attention to the race along with reading and watching commentary shows that talk about both candidates. I watch various networks, some conservative and some liberal. I have to laugh and other times act in disgust at some of these commercials, which feed into people's paranoia and hysteria. I often see beyond the commericals and go with who I feel most comfortable with.

Very good quote blackhillsdreams.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
\

Very good quote blackhillsdreams.
Thanks Chris! I'm glad people like you are paying attention and really making an effort to do the right thing. Like you, I get disgusted by some of the blatant smear commercials that turn campaigns into a circus.

Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: