Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,918 times

Advertisements

Well Tilemaker I've decided on the Southeast -- Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina.

Has all the land and space, heat and humidity blah blah blah just like Philly at times in the summer, low prices, friendly people, and most important a healthy/growing economy.

Rapid City seems like it has too high a cost of housing and low wages because its pretty enough that rich Californians would come and live there. The law school isn't rated that well and the rest of the state looks more like tundra/frozen prairie. So I've decided to axe it off my list. I've heard the horror stories about Montana and low wages/high housing prices. The only desirable place in the state I think the Black Hills look very much to be this kind of thing.

Good luck with the move and maybe look down south too like Jackson or Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM

31 posts, read 139,148 times
I currently work in center city Philly and took the family to SD on vacation. I remember getting off I90 in Murdo and staying at the Best Western and thinking that about 50 miles behind me was little more than an occasional ranch/farm. From an outsider's perspective that was beautiful.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
I currently work in center city Philly and took the family to SD on vacation. I remember getting off I90 in Murdo and staying at the Best Western and thinking that about 50 miles behind me was little more than an occasional ranch/farm. From an outsider's perspective that was beautiful.
Well that's kind of neat! I guess from an inside perspective, it's more like~oh, just farms until we get to the Hills.

So what did you enjoy the most about your trip out here?

Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,623 times
Default Resturant in SD

Hello I am looking for a business in South Dakota near Huron. I totally love Huron and want to go back very bad. There is a resturant that is beautiful for sale in Clarksville SD. It is a steakhouse and pub. The asking price is 250,000 including the property. PM me and I would be glad to give you the details. I decided to go a different route and didn't purchase the place. South Dakota is the most wonderful state in the union and the governor is the best I ever seen. IT is kind of funny when you talk to someone and talk like you would anyone joking and laughing and being asked how is the BBQ chicken? and whatnot finding out that you were talking to the Governor!!! Very Catholic up there. I want to go back as soon as I can. Many sleepless nights over having to leave Huron to go to Washington DC. I am longing to go back and will give anything to do it. Goodluck. Mike.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 19,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We lived in Sioux Falls for a few years in the mid 90's and loved the town. I don't know that you would find a regular clientel like you have now but maybe. Another suggestion would be to look at Marshall, MN in Southwestern Minnesota--not far from South Dakota. We lived there for many, many years and a new restaurant would be VERY welcome there. If you offer good food and good service you will do well there and you would have the repeat clientel you are used to.
Yes, Marshall, Minnesota is an excellent suggestion. The town is about 13,000 pop. and is 90 miles from Sioux Falls and 150 from Twin Cities. Terrific opportunity. I lived there years ago. Great, great town.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Hi Scooby, I hope you get to come back home soon. It's nice to read a post like yours. And yea, isn't our Gov. awesome? He's so down to earth and so compassionate.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 AM

Default otis

To Jammie: One of the things I loved about our trip to SD was getting off I90 and turning the wrong way at the 4 way stop sign heading away rather than toward Murdo. After about a mile when we could see Murdo behind us and absolutely nothing in front I felt completely at peace. That isn't possible here in the hellhole that is Philadelphia. i completely agree with Tilemaker.

To Beingthere, do you mean feeling like a Martian because you're not accepted or an outsider. I don't mean to sound harsh I'm really just curious.

To Fourwinds; Yes, people in Philly generate a lack of trust and cynicism toward each other. That reminded me of Tilemaker's comment about how he likes to get to know his customers after the transaction. I have really tried that with no luck yet.

Wotan: You said you were born and raised in south Philly and then it was nice and now it is a hellhole. What was it like then?

Otis

Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 AM

7 posts, read 29,092 times
Default Want to rellocate from Philadelphia

Otis:

In response to your inquiry,
To Beingthere, do you mean feeling like a Martian because you're not accepted or an outsider. I don't mean to sound harsh I'm really just curious.
I used the term "martian" to mean alien.I think that verbal and non-verbal communication is key in any area to which I have relocated, north, south, east or west. Hence, the challenges we read about on CityData.com boards regarding regional differences.The humor, the colloquilisms, the nuances, the terms of engagement, the very essence of connection vary widely from region to region, especially from the East to the Central Plains. However, I know that one's personal adaptability and openness to any region & the people is important. And yes, we humans are all basically the same. But I have always kept in mind that it was me who moved to each particular prevailing culture wherever that has been. Learning and accepting that has sometimes been challenging.

Yes, SD folks are "nice" & "friendly" (I married one) but there is so much more than superficiality & the lack of "give and take". Garrison Keillor talks & writes about the culture up here sublimely.There are other reasons why SD is not the right "fit" for me but I wanted to address your specific question. Otis, so glad to hear you were able to experience & appreciate the beauty of the prairie.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:59 AM

To Beingthere

Did you mean SD people are superficial in their friendliness. What did you mean about the lack of give and take?

I wonder if it's what my wife and I experienced when we moved to Boyertown, PA. Where, as we found out, if you weren't born here, went to High School here, raised here, etc. you're going to have a tough time being accepted.

Otis

Old 08-31-2007, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,511 times
My husband (born in Italy-raised in North Philly -Haverford & 69th up to the City Line) and I (born in Iowa - raised in Southern Cal) met in California - married and lived in SantaCruz county (North of Monterey and South of San Fran) for 6 yrs & then moved our business to Sioux Falls - pretty good tax structure for a business - especially compared to Cal. We thought the food here was really lousy. All ethnic food (back then) was so Americanized it was sad. No decent deli's. We moved here in 1988 and have found that most any good independent restaurants (except for the Minerva group) has not made it. This is a city where everyone wants to eat in the same restaurant they ate in when they visited another city. Hence, the over abundance of franchise restaurants. I would love to see a really good east coast (or Chicago'esq) Italian restaurant open. Even a good Philly cheese steak sandwich place - oh Pat's (philly) where are you when we're hungy? Or hoagies, stromboli ...... The biggest problem I found when I moved here was the bread. No one makes sandwich rolls like they do in Phillie!!! (Must be the water cause you can use the same recipe other places and it's not the same.) Back when we first moved here (in 88) you went to a grocery store to buy fresh baked bread. There was no sour dough and the Italian & French bread tasted like the white bread but was in a different shape. At least now they bring in decent bread to buy or you can go to the Breadsmith for real bread. I would love a new restaurant in Sioux Falls - but I wouldn't invest in one unless it was a franchise. If you're passing though Sioux Falls on your way to somewhere esle in SD - I would gladly help with your travel expenses if you brought a good veal roast, some cutlets and some Italian rolls -- Can you believe - the largest city in a state and you can't buy veal. We used to drive every Christmas to St Paul, MN just to buy a veal roast - after over ten years of doing that we now just have a pork roast instead --- Well enough rambling about food ... where ever your final decision takes you make a decision ahead of time to look at all positive aspects of your new home first - the newness will wear off over the years and you will see all of the not so great stuff soon enough. When we moved here in 88 there was horrible events listed in the paper's law log - one horresdous listing was the a straw dispenser was stolen from McDonalds. Ah those were the days.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota