Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,522 times

Advertisements

Not a problem! I'm glad to help.
There is one area, just west of downtown, which I would not live in myself...
Babinski Properties has several properties... It's basically "bottom of the line" ... None are in bad areas, but they are older. I used to rent from them, and the management is so nice... The 3 bedrooms are under $800.
Steeplechase on Marion Road is another good complex, I've been inside one of them, and its nice... A 3 bedroom would be about $939+ a month.
I've noticed quite a few of the newer apartments in SF are only 1 & 2 bedrooms.
I would avoid the Hamlet/Somerset Apartment complex on Valhalla Blvd. The management is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilLibertarian View Post
Thanks for all the great info Jammie! Three questions...

1.) We obviously expect that our 1st winter or two will be an ENORMOUS adjustment for us, but are we being naive to think we'll adapt just fine over time?

2.) How well are the roads maintained during the winter and how treacherous is the driving going to be for us?

3.) What is the significance of "staying along I-90"? What lies beyond it?

-Thanks
I'll probably beat Jammie to this, but as far as the winters, I'm sure it'll be a big shock to you. Jammie is older than me, so maybe she'll help you better with that subject. The roads right in SF are maintained well during a storm. If it's a big blizzard, the residential streets aren't plowed as quick as the main arterials, obviously. I have a Honda Accord, and really never had any problems. You just have to drive carefully. Some people here still don't know how to drive in snowy conditions. The key is driving slow.
South Dakota's two largest cities are located along I-90... However, there are many great towns north of I-90. Aberdeen, Watertown, Brookings. You will probably have the best luck in Sioux Falls or Rapid City though.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Not a problem! I'm glad to help.
There is one area, just west of downtown, which I would not live in myself...
Babinski Properties has several properties... It's basically "bottom of the line" ... None are in bad areas, but they are older. I used to rent from them, and the management is so nice... The 3 bedrooms are under $800.
Steeplechase on Marion Road is another good complex, I've been inside one of them, and its nice... A 3 bedroom would be about $939+ a month.
I've noticed quite a few of the newer apartments in SF are only 1 & 2 bedrooms.
I would avoid the Hamlet/Somerset Apartment complex on Valhalla Blvd. The management is horrible.
I would agree with the Hamlet/Somerset apts. I have a friend who lives in one and he would not leave his door unlocked if he leaves his apt. and mentions that there are a few hoodlums in his complex. The common areas (hallways) are dirty. I would spend an extra $100/month and have something halfway decent, clean, and quiet.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
There's not much I can add here because Chris and MJ live in Sx. Falls so they know the specifics for apartments, jobs, etc.

I don't think you're naive to hope that you can adjust. Winter is just very different here from what you are used to. You can wake up to 20 below zero with a windchill that puts it at 30 below and the snow can be blowing. But that's by no means an every day occurence. The roads can be slippery and like MJ said, just drive slowly. I just don't like winter and my fibromyalgia and osteo-arthritis make me hate it even more. I'm fully functioning, but winters are rough. Our state does maintain their roads very well, but they are not actually snow free or ice free. It's just not possible. I hope this doesn't detour you~it's just something to be aware of before you make such a huge move.

As far as spending less and ending up in a bad area~some areas are much nicer then others, but it isn't similar to what you're used to when you say "bad area". We don't mean that it's filled with crime or a slum. Here~if you forget to lock your apartment door or car door, you don't need to panic. Of course, it's always safer to do that, but it's not the same as where you live. Personally, I NEVER lock my car door. We always left our keys in the ignition until a few years ago when there started to be a few car thefts~often strangers passing through. It's always good to be cautious and lock things up, but that part is also a totally different world here.

As far as staying along I-90~it's just personal preference. There's really nothing scary beyond it. I like a few other towns like Yankton, etc. I've just always found people along the interstate to be a bit more open and friendly. Most of the Hills area is fine because they're used to tourists. I just find that once you get into some of the areas that have little tourism or few outsiders, it's just different. Just sort of a different vibe.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:06 PM

90 posts, read 319,691 times
Wow, I really want to thank you all for taking the time to inform a perfect stranger about your wonderful state! If you guys are any indication of the kind of people we'll meet when we arrive then I'm really looking forward to the move!

Jammie, I wish you all the best in regards to the fibromyalgia and osteo-arthritis. I can't even began to imagine how difficult it must be for you during the winter! My mother has the arthritis and it kicks up on her during the rains, and brief bouts of cool weather we get in Dec-Jan, I can only imagine how bad it is for you in SoDak. I'm sorry to hear it!

Anyhow, I truly thank you all. If there is anything else you all believe would be of help to us please feel free to post it. If I have any more questions I know where to come.

Once again,
BIG THANKS!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,312 times
CivilLibertarian, thank you for the complement to the forum and South Dakotans. I wish you well with your visit to South Dakota and the move. Most people are good-natured people here. Like with any place, even if known to be friendly overall, there are going to be a few grumpy people. But these people are in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota