Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,288 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Leaving IN and relocating near Custer, SD. Would love to learn from natives of the areaand surrounding areas. He is used to living all over the US... I am used toliving in a City where there are many things to do but am looking forward tomoving there. I’m interested inmed/dental access, the REAL story of the snow and winter months. We are social people and am interested in socialactivities offered…Hobbies are Guns, history (fav military), home brewing,Animal Awareness, (volunteering for no kill shelters) Football, Metaphysical,Social Festivities, American Indian activities. Not planning on moving to any city or town specifically but maybesomeplace a bit out of town...Love the scenery there…..Help in any area is muchappreciated. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Last edited by Griderindiana; 08-23-2015 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Hi. I live in Custer. I also lived in Lafayette, IN for 15 years. To address some of your questions:

1) Dental/medical - there is a dentist here. I have seen a total of three dentists in the Black Hills. I really like Destination Dentistry, and Dr. Rebecca. She is progressive and willing to listen to the patient. There is a medical clinic and small hosptial here. I won't use it. They are fine for basic things, but nothing complex. I drive to Rapid City (45 minutes) for my medical care.

2)Snow/Winter - this is a mountain climate (much of the area is over 6000' above sea level). We get snow. Last year, we got 8 inches on 9/11. It was gone the next day. Fall and spring storms are the norm here. Snow is very light, usually, because this is a dry climate. We do get snow in the winter, but not as much as other areas or East River, because the Hills offer some protection. The wind is not as bad, and we don't get periods of extended negative temps. Upper 20's, low 30's are the winter average. We actually hope for snow in the winter because it keeps the fire danger low in the spring.

3) Social - you will do well with guns and history here. There are shooting clubs, and much military history in the area, due to Custer and his infamy. There are a couple local microbreweries - one in Custer (Bitter Esters) and one in Hill City (Miner Brewing). There is a large no kill shelter in Hot Springs, and a small one in Custer. As for the rest, you will find them all to some level here.

There are a lot of places for sale, and many with some acreage. Find a good local realtor - you can message me for a name. Best of luck, and feel free to ask questions!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Default The Family Unit

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]No8fann,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hello!!! Thanks fortaking the time to answer those questions for us. We haven’t really decided on a particularplace yet but are very interested in staying around the Custer, Hill City, Hot Springs, Deadwood, etc area. We aren’t that familiar with the area but weare looking for a house, maybe 3 bedroom, 2 bath, manufactured or brick style ranch home wouldbe great. Aren’t really interested inliving in “The Big City”, Rapid Citybut would like easy access there. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The weather sounds great there. It’s bitter cold here in the Midwest as you already know. We are retired and live a relatively privateone but are social too and love involving ourselves within the community. He’s mostly into guns and military historyalong with cooking/BBQ and smoking meats… and of course I love the animals, thescenery, the seclusion, but also a great night out with friends too. I’m used to living within a city that neversleeps and there are many festivities here but am going to love the scenery,the laid back life style, and of course the animals. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]What do people do for fun? We are excited about coming back in September and looking for a place tolive. We aren’t having any luck at allon the internet with finding much. Figure we just aren’t looking in the right places.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As you are probably aware it is myself, Tamera, that isinterested in the shelters and am very active in the animal awarenesscommunity. I also love music andparties, darts, etc. Are the peoplerelatively friendly there? My betterhalf is a mason and shriner. I’m moreinto American Indian music and festivities of crafts and fun. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are recently retired, and wouldn’t mind working part timeto get involved with the community Youmentioned three were a lot of places for sale. A lot of acreage to maintain would be difficult but we wouldn’t mind asmall bit Im taking you up on youroffer and messaging you for someone tocontact to possibly look for places while we visit in September. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We don’t mind going through realtors but would also beinterested in seeing what individuals owners have for sale also. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You’ve been a joy to talk with and if you can think ofanything at all you think we need toknow about living in the area, please let us know…mysticlady9160@gmail.com[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hope to hear from you sooon!!!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griderindiana View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]No8fann,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hello!!! Thanks fortaking the time to answer those questions for us. We haven’t really decided on a particularplace yet but are very interested in staying around the Custer, Hill City, Hot Springs, Deadwood, etc area. We aren’t that familiar with the area but weare looking for a house, maybe 3 bedroom, 2 bath, manufactured or brick style ranch home wouldbe great. Aren’t really interested inliving in “The Big City”, Rapid Citybut would like easy access there. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The weather sounds great there. It’s bitter cold here in the Midwest as you already know. We are retired and live a relatively privateone but are social too and love involving ourselves within the community. He’s mostly into guns and military historyalong with cooking/BBQ and smoking meats… and of course I love the animals, thescenery, the seclusion, but also a great night out with friends too. I’m used to living within a city that neversleeps and there are many festivities here but am going to love the scenery,the laid back life style, and of course the animals. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]What do people do for fun? We are excited about coming back in September and looking for a place tolive. We aren’t having any luck at allon the internet with finding much. Figure we just aren’t looking in the right places.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As you are probably aware it is myself, Tamera, that isinterested in the shelters and am very active in the animal awarenesscommunity. I also love music andparties, darts, etc. Are the peoplerelatively friendly there? My betterhalf is a mason and shriner. I’m moreinto American Indian music and festivities of crafts and fun. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are recently retired, and wouldn’t mind working part timeto get involved with the community Youmentioned three were a lot of places for sale. A lot of acreage to maintain would be difficult but we wouldn’t mind asmall bit Im taking you up on youroffer and messaging you for someone tocontact to possibly look for places while we visit in September. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We don’t mind going through realtors but would also beinterested in seeing what individuals owners have for sale also. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You’ve been a joy to talk with and if you can think ofanything at all you think we need toknow about living in the area, please let us know…mysticlady9160@gmail.com[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hope to hear from you sooon!!!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience we are spiritual beings having a human experience......

Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
Access to Rapid from Custer is easy. You'll have 2 to 4 lane, paved, state highway all the way. Winter driving should be no more difficult than northern Indiana. There is a fairly large retirement community in the Black Hills so you should not have a problem fitting in.

uh

Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
Research the weather closely - I noticed you also mentioned areas that vary surprisingly considering the map showing them so close from each other. Spearfish, Deadwood, Hill City, and Hot Springs vary some in temp extremes/averages and they vary significantly in moisture fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota