Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:15 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,450 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for almost a year, and I have yet to find anything for a job in western SD. I have HR skills, payroll skills , supervisory skills, and a background as a wildlife technician. I am a single mom, so I can't afford to take a position that offers $10 an hour and no benefits! I am currently a federal employee, so I routinely exhaust the federal jobs (USAJOBS) database. Where else can I look? I don't care if it's public or private sector...throw out your ideas! I may have already looked there, or I may not have, but I am wondering if I am missing something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 PM

267 posts, read 898,140 times
Black Hills Corp is one of the higher paying companies in the Rapid City area, and I know in the last seven months they have had openings in HR, payroll, customer service, and multiple accounting areas. The SD Dept. of Labor has a nice job board that you can customize for the areas you are looking in, salary ranges etc. I signed up with them (South Dakota Department of Labor) before I moved down here, and checked the board every few days. I also had someone from the Dakota Roots area (part of the Dept. of Labor, I think, they use the same job search page) who would call me and let me know when jobs were coming up that she thought fit my resume and skills. Other than that, I would hit the main job boards (yahoo hotjobs, monster, careerbuilder) and look for ANY job in the area. Then, when I found one, I would find that company's website, and once a week I would go through the different websites looking for jobs in my career field. Not all companies post ALL of their jobs to job boards - only the ones that they think will be difficult to fill sometimes. I was able to find a management/professional level job within 4 months of getting here - and I didn't have any ties to the area, or any "ins" with locals. Just a lot of perserverance, and groundwork, and a commitment to the fact that I was not going to settle, and take a huge cut in pay, just because people told me that there wasn't much work to be found. It can be frustrating - especially in today's economy, but keep up the search, and you'll be able to find something. I also checked out the Rapid City, and Pennington County employment pages every week, and read the job listings on the rapidcityjournal online to see what would catch my eye.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
If you'd like to stay in the wildlife field you could try out on of the many Ranger Stations in the Black Hills. There is a brand new one just outside of Rapid City too. I don't know how much they'd pay but it's worth a shot.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
Black Hills Corp is one of the higher paying companies in the Rapid City area, and I know in the last seven months they have had openings in HR, payroll, customer service, and multiple accounting areas. The SD Dept. of Labor has a nice job board that you can customize for the areas you are looking in, salary ranges etc. I signed up with them (South Dakota Department of Labor) before I moved down here, and checked the board every few days. I also had someone from the Dakota Roots area (part of the Dept. of Labor, I think, they use the same job search page) who would call me and let me know when jobs were coming up that she thought fit my resume and skills. Other than that, I would hit the main job boards (yahoo hotjobs, monster, careerbuilder) and look for ANY job in the area. Then, when I found one, I would find that company's website, and once a week I would go through the different websites looking for jobs in my career field. Not all companies post ALL of their jobs to job boards - only the ones that they think will be difficult to fill sometimes. I was able to find a management/professional level job within 4 months of getting here - and I didn't have any ties to the area, or any "ins" with locals. Just a lot of perserverance, and groundwork, and a commitment to the fact that I was not going to settle, and take a huge cut in pay, just because people told me that there wasn't much work to be found. It can be frustrating - especially in today's economy, but keep up the search, and you'll be able to find something. I also checked out the Rapid City, and Pennington County employment pages every week, and read the job listings on the rapidcityjournal online to see what would catch my eye.
Thanks, there are some suggestions in there I need to check out...my problem is that I am not in the area, so there are several jobs that I am knocked out of the running for right off the bat, since people are generally looking for someone that is in the area and ready to start. It's a catch 22 for me - I can't move there without a job...

Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
If you'd like to stay in the wildlife field you could try out on of the many Ranger Stations in the Black Hills. There is a brand new one just outside of Rapid City too. I don't know how much they'd pay but it's worth a shot.
I would love to work at one of the stations, but a lot of those positions are hot shot crew members, or they are protection rangers - I need something more along the lines of naturalist. Unfortunately, most of those jobs seem to be seasonal or part time! I would also be interested in something with Extension, but I haven't seen many of those spots open!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I would love to work at one of the stations, but a lot of those positions are hot shot crew members, or they are protection rangers - I need something more along the lines of naturalist. Unfortunately, most of those jobs seem to be seasonal or part time! I would also be interested in something with Extension, but I haven't seen many of those spots open!
I don't know about that. The ranger station outside of Rapid City is pretty big and it's more of an information center than a distinct ranger outlet. I'm sure they could use clerical workers or something of that nature. Also, a new office complex for the GF&P is planned.

News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa

Old 10-06-2008, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 68,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I have been searching for almost a year, and I have yet to find anything for a job in western SD. I have HR skills, payroll skills , supervisory skills, and a background as a wildlife technician. I am a single mom, so I can't afford to take a position that offers $10 an hour and no benefits! I am currently a federal employee, so I routinely exhaust the federal jobs (USAJOBS) database. Where else can I look? I don't care if it's public or private sector...throw out your ideas! I may have already looked there, or I may not have, but I am wondering if I am missing something!
LMFAO! Did you really expect to find tons of great paying jobs in South Dakota?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofnova View Post
Actually, no. I don't expect to find TONS of good paying jobs anywhere. I was simply wondering if there were places that I had not thought to check. Thanks for your sarcastic two cents, but if you have nothing to contribute, please don't add to this thread!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks, Danny! That looks perfect!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofnova View Post
UMMM, just thought you may want to know that So. Dak. has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation and we're greatful for that. Georgia seems to be having a rough go of it though.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota