Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 02:22 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_movingtarget View Post
People lose interest in other types of energy when petrol prices fall. Even the dollar that it did fall has made people "happy" enough and probably more complacent. Now that OPEC has decided to cut production there will be a paucity of supply once people start driving regularly again and prices will go up, up, up again. It's really a $h*t state of affairs.
I hope I am wrong, but...
I still have interest in other types of energy. I just hope the rest of the public becomes interested. This will give people options. If a person wants to use biodiesel, why shouldn't that option be in place. If a person wants to use ethanol or solar power, why shouldn't that be in place for commercial use. Instead of using just oil, why not add on the other fuels. Make the energy market competitive. Competition can keep prices low, and if used in the USA on a larger scale in addition to producing more oil, it could vastly reduce the USA's dependence on oil from other nation or from OPEC. I believe the best way to keep prices low is high production and high competition. Instead of one conglomerate, why not a bunch of energy companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
I have heard that it is under $2 a gallon in Elk Point. $1.96.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 PM

415 posts, read 972,538 times
2.38 at Safeway with 3 cents off on my safeway card in spearfish this afternoon.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM

230 posts, read 626,364 times
The REALLY sad thing is, everyone else jacked their prices when gas went through the roof and now that the price of gas has declined, do you think we will see other prices fall ?? NOPE !!! It's a crime I tell you. People should be ashamed of themselves. They are probably the same people that think middle class makes $250,000 a year huh ???

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
I hear ya. I was just thinking that when I was in the stores this weekend. I realize it could take a couple of weeks for the prices to drop cause a lot of merchandise was bought previously when the prices were so high. BUT it doesn't appear that a single thing is dropping yet.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I don't know. I've noticed a lot more sales at the mall this fall season than past years. I think prices are gonna have to fall because NO ONE can afford too much these days.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 AM

230 posts, read 626,364 times
I know some restaurants increased the prices on their menus due to gas being so high and getting supplies in. I understood that at the time and would pay without much thought. I just hate how things like that go.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Today gas dropped in Mitchell. It was sure good to see that ONE up there.

It's 1.99 and nine tenths (2 actually) and 2.20.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I still have interest in other types of energy. I just hope the rest of the public becomes interested. This will give people options. If a person wants to use biodiesel, why shouldn't that option be in place. If a person wants to use ethanol or solar power, why shouldn't that be in place for commercial use. Instead of using just oil, why not add on the other fuels. Make the energy market competitive. Competition can keep prices low, and if used in the USA on a larger scale in addition to producing more oil, it could vastly reduce the USA's dependence on oil from other nation or from OPEC. I believe the best way to keep prices low is high production and high competition. Instead of one conglomerate, why not a bunch of energy companies.
Very good point. I would like to see electric cars and the hybrid technology be improved and more widespread. This would save a lot of fuel and will help us become more self sufficient from an energy standpoint. We can use the energy from the wind farms to power our electric cars. As everyone knows: South Dakota has a lot of wind and tremendous potential to turn an annoyance (the wind) into a cash cow for our state and help provide a cleaner avenue of energy production and cut foriegn oil dependence for our great nation.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,263 times
2.04 at Ripco on Russell and Main!! Dropped just a little while ago, was still 2.09 when I took my son to school this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota