Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:14 PM

63 posts, read 649,543 times

Advertisements

Hello South Dakota,

Thinking of moving to the East side of South Dakota (Sioux Falls, Watertown or Brookings). How is the weather (does it get REALLY cold during the winter?), how's the economy, things to do? I'd appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
Hey badger, the weather does get cold... the NE part (Watertown/Aberdeen) tend to get colder than Brookings and Sioux Falls.
Typical Weather for Sioux Falls, SD - Normal High / Low / Average Temperature for Sioux Falls, SD (http://www.accuweather.com/us/sd/sioux-falls/57101/forecast-normals.asp?partner=netweather&traveler=0&u=1 - broken link)
There's a link for "typical weather for the 12 months for Sioux Falls"
Those are just averages.... it does get below zero, more often the farther north you go.

The economy is very good in SF, compared to the rest of the country. Watertown, Brookings, and Aberdeen all have good economies as well. Aberdeen has a lot of jobs that have recently or will be coming to their area. I'm not sure about Watertown and Brookings, but both have a healthy economy. South Dakota also has an umemployment rate of 3.2% (the last I heard), and I believe this is the lowest in the nation (for states).

For things to do... It depends on where you live. Where I live, we have a wide variety of events, especially in the summer... Like RibFest, JazzFest, Life Light, and Hot Harley Nights.

In Brookings, they have the Swiftel Center, which is host to a wide variety of events... like concerts.

Watertown had the Terry Redlin Art Center...and Thunder Road, a go-kart & mini-golf complex...theres one in Sioux Falls as well.

Aberdeen has Storybook Land/Wylie Park. A real treat for little kids. They also have the go-karts, mini-golf, swimming, and paddle-boating.

What kind of town or city were you looking for? Any more specifics? We'd be happy to help you.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
HI Badger, just come on over and join us.

There's not much to add since MJ has already filled you in on excellent info. But yea~it can get very cold here. It's probably the windchills that are the worst though.

We really are fortunate because our economy is doing well. Hopefully that will continue.

Where do you live now? Like MJ said, we'll try to help you with anything we can.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,263 times
Badger
Welcome!
Can you give us an age range you're in? That will help considerably with what there is to do.
Aberdeen is where I've spent the longest time living recently. Lots of bars, 2 colleges. If you like high school and college sports, there's a lot of that there. They just got a new factory for the wind turbine blades, pays pretty well and great benefits (have a couple of sister-in-laws working there) and they're in the process of building a meat processing plant.
Sioux Falls has a wider range of things to do regardless of age. TONS of stuff for kids and teens, some really good sports bars, lots of artistic?? like the symphony, plays, etc. Sports, Zoo, Outdoor Campus, Butterfly House. Never be bored.
Winter is COLD, but still stuff to do for the brave -- Great Bear has skiiing, snowboarding and tubing. Not that I have ever done this -- I'm a winter whiner -- but my guys go regularly and love it.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:52 PM

Snowbird, glad to see a fellow "winter weather whiner".

Old 11-01-2008, 05:12 AM

63 posts, read 649,543 times
I'm from Wisconsin so I'm familiar with cold weather but I've always had the impression that SD was terribly cold. I'm in my mid 40's and have 3 teenagers. I'm currently a Chaplain at a Double-max prison but have a background in sales and management. I'm flexible about what we're looking for in regards to cities however, with teenagers it's always good to have an area with plenty to do.

In regards to Sioux Falls, how's the crime rate? And thank you all for your input, it is very helpful!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:50 AM

//www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-...th-Dakota.html

The crime rate is about a third less then the national average. There is also a weather chart on the above site.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:03 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
You will find the climate is a lot drier in South Dakota than in Wisconsin, consequently you won't have the bitter chill in S D that you frequently have in Wisc. However you will generally have more wind. You will probably consider the climate just a little improved from Wisconsin because it is drier.
uh

Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,263 times
Sad to say but Aberdeen really doesn't have much for teens to do, the schools are very good though. Maybe you want to look more at Sioux Falls, there's more for teens and you shouldn't have any problems finding work here.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM

63 posts, read 119,353 times
Hi everyone, you all give out very good information and it´s all very helpful. Is there any work for
carpenters in SD. Thanks in advance, Margart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota