Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Right after September 11th Bush impressed me. Going into Iraq? I think that could have been handled differently.
Agreed. I think Bush impressed most people right after 911 and right through the capture of Saddam for the most part. Since then, train wreck...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
You're right, I didn't really ask a direct question, but I believe it was implied or rhetorical in spirit. So, the question is:

Am I the only one who is concerned about the outpouring of glowing reviews for Obama from criminals and terrorists?
No, you are not the only one.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
It doesn't really concern me that terrorists and criminals are glad that Obama was elected because I don't see how it could be beneficial for them. He's a president. There are laws. He must follow them. I doubt that Obama would not make a counter-reaction against any type of terrorism or attack. I don't see America allowing ourselves to be attacked without some type of reaction. That's just not going to happen.

I am glad that Obama was elected though because I believe he is much better suited to help our struggling economy and help people who NEED it. Many republicans have some idea in their head that only lazy bums who don't have jobs vote for democrats. That's simply not true. I'm a prime example. I work an average of 45 hours per week, I volunteer at United Way, and I helped get the vote out this election. I voted straight ticket democrat.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM

True, I agree with you. I'm not saying Obama will benefit any of these people. If anyone read into my post to believe I was slighting Obama because these people like him, I didn't mean that at all. I don't think he will help them in any way. I'm really just trying to make sense of why they seem so happy he won... it just seems odd to me. I'm wondering why and how they feel it will benefit them?

As for the economy, I hope you are right, you might be... I don't agree or disagree, I'm just gonna wait and see. All we can do is all we can do. I voted a straight Republican ticket. I don't think it mattered. That's the beauty of the Republic of the United States, we have the freedom to make those choices as we see fit.

Here's the thing, you're walking down a dark alley known to have a high crime rate, would you rather be feared or likeable? Would you rather have a soldier watching your back or a well spoken negotiator with you? I honestly can't say one is more right than the other but I know what my choice is. Let's say the alley is the large portion of the world that hates/envies us. Will Obama make it to the other end on his charisma alone? Time will tell.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,711 times
I think maybe they're glad Obama won because they want the nations to get along again. And they think Obama will work harder toward achieving that, where Bush didn't so much. (I'm a Bush hater, so I won't go any further than that!) I'm a democrat living in a republican world.
Thank goodness #11 didn't pass. Glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way about it.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Here's the thing, you're walking down a dark alley known to have a high crime rate, would you rather be feared or likeable? Would you rather have a soldier watching your back or a well spoken negotiator with you? I honestly can't say one is more right than the other but I know what my choice is. Let's say the alley is the large portion of the world that hates/envies us. Will Obama make it to the other end on his charisma alone? Time will tell.
That's a great analogy and I never really thought of it that way. This election really had so many trade offs.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
Quote:
Clinton NEVER retaliated to one of nearly a dozen attacks and never pushed too hard on any foreign country. 911 happened shortly after he was out of office. What if Bush had never struck back? Would New York be a big hole in the ground now? Maybe so, maybe not. If you don't think there are enemies out there that hate us and want to kill us no matter who is in office and what our foreign policy is, keep blaming Bush. When someone blows up something else over here sometime after Obama is on office, you'll still blame Bush...
Heck yes. Although, the Clinton administration could have done better with getting after those goofballs who want to casue trouble. If he did, he still would not **** as many people off as Bush and the right-wing fanatics (Iraq war mismanagement).

Bush needed to strike back and I feel that the Afghanistan mission is a justifiable one. The Iraq war is a different story for a number of reasons: mismanagement, money pit (with all those darned Haliburton deals and no-bid contracts), and detracted from our mission in Aghanistan and the broader efforts with other countries in our war on terror.

You have valid concerns and questions. But I disagree with you in other aspects. Our nation needs to protect itself and be firm with the terrorists, but should not get into wars that could have handled in onther methods. The "my way or the highway attitude" by the Repblican administration certainly does not help. The terrorists want us to overeact so that we can be overextended in our forces and drain our coffers along with eventually causing acute discontent in our people, and eventually want us down on our knees. McCain and the Bush administration who tend to overrreact will feed into this.

We need to win the war on terror, but fight through other mediums that may be more effective than force. We should start playing mind games on the terrorists and put those numbnuts back in their lowly place. Obama is not that stupid on foreign policy and find better ways to deal with adversaries.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
I think maybe they're glad Obama won because they want the nations to get along again. And they think Obama will work harder toward achieving that, where Bush didn't so much. (I'm a Bush hater, so I won't go any further than that!) I'm a democrat living in a republican world.
Thank goodness #11 didn't pass. Glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way about it.
Very good comment. I agree with you on the first part and #11 in general stinks and is unnecessary (due to other ways to limit abortion-education, other birth control methods). We need to work on having nations getting along. It would help us too and would help lessen our need to use force and has benefits for our society. I voted against #11 also, due to the fact that abortion is between God and the woman and the woman will have to anwer to God on those instances of abortion.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Right after September 11th Bush impressed me. Going into Iraq? I think that could have been handled differently.
I agree on the Iraq war comment.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
That's a great analogy and I never really thought of it that way. This election really had so many trade offs.
Thanks! I like analogies. I don't think Obama is stupid. I'd feel the same concern if McCain won and the terrorists were happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota