Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times

Advertisements

What are your traditional Thanksgiving meals?

Mine is...turkey in the oven... and ham (cuz i hate turkey) ... stuffing... green bean casserole, corn, warm buns, and cranberries...right out of the can. And pies... Pumpkin, Apple

Any traditions you guys have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
Mine is at my grandmother's and everyone chips in. Grandma makes the ham and Turkey. There are usually buns, corn, potatoes or cheesy potato dish, vegetable tray, and lots of salads. A lot of desert dishes also. Better not forget the pies (pumpkin, apple, cherry, and pecan). A lot of food, but there are nomally 25-30 people there.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
We used to go to Grandma's but unfortunately she passed away last year so it's up in the air. I like to have ham instead of turkey too because I don't really care all that much for turkey- and the endless salads and turkey sandwiches that we have to eat the week after Thanksgiving.
I LOVE stuffing and glazed carrots too. If we don't eat at either our house or my aunt's we'll probably just go to Minerva's or the Tiffany Grille at the Holiday Inn. At least we won't have dishes to do- and no LEFTOVERS!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 AM

118 posts, read 518,975 times
Lefse is what I am looking forward to on Thanksgiving day. I just needto set aside the time to make it. Turkey, gb cassarole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, apple salad, etc. We decided to pass on the cranberries this year as I make them from scratch every year only to throw them all away a few days later. Absolutly no one in this family eats them. And I can hardly wait for Christmas dinner when we will have more lefse and plenty of lutefisk.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Danny, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. The first holidays after you lose someone are so sad and empty.

Green bean casserole here with cranberries and those delicious warm buns. UMMM, guess the rest do eat turkey and dressing with that cause I smell the turkey. UGH!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:16 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,339 times
Usually we go home to Aberdeen for turkey day, spend it with my family and go see hubby's family for leftovers. You'd think both familys were feeding armies because they both send leftovers home with us and it's around for another few days.
This year we'll be home for the holiday since I work the day before and the next 3 days after. Just 3 of us and a friend who's kids are both working the day of Thanksgiving so I guess I'm cooking. Thinking just a turkey breast (4 people, no need for a whole bird) as well as potatoes n gravy, sweet potatoes, gb casserole, stuffin, veggie tray (small one), buns, and since I bake for a living- Pies, blueberry, pumpkin, and cheesecake (my weakness).

Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,429 times
Lefse here too

Turkey (usually made with a brine), honey ham, cranberry sausage stuffing, scallopped corn, sweet potatoes with marshmellows, warm dinner rolls, hashbrown potatoe hotdish, layered lettus salad, green breans, and mmm ice cream pie and turtle pumpkin pie!

this year I think it will just be the four of us here - my family tries to make it out from East river, but this year they are very busy still trying to get the corn out!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 PM

415 posts, read 972,612 times
Turkey, of which I always have a small bowl of melted margarine to dip it in, I won't eat it any other way, Corn, Warm Rolls, Definately Cranberry Sauce, and a Pie of some sorts, Wife wants an apple or Pumpkin and I want Cheesecake LOL. We usually dont' go all out like some families do and cook for 12 battalions worth of food. We consider that wasteful and its just not us since most of it would get thrown out after the 2nd day of leftovers lol.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Turkey and stuffing this year. I am again chef de cuisine. We are also hosting it this year.

Turkey with citrus, under the skin and in the cavity, pads of butter under the skin. Rosemary and sage.

Other traditional items.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
Busy, yours sounds so gourmet... Do you like to cook?

Jammie, I forgot you are a vegetarian. Green bean casserole is probably my favorite dish!

Snowbird, I'll be heading up to the Aberdeen area too for Thanksgiving... Hopefully the weather will be good. I haven't decided if I'm leaving after work on Wednesday or early on Thursday.

I work until 4 pm on Wednesday, but it gets dark early now. And I do not want to hit another deer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota