Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 03:47 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Cabbage, link sausage cut up, corn cut off the cob, can of seasoned tomatoes, some onion, and a head of cabbage in a one pot supper. First real meal today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
We made and ate our first Shepards Pie this evening. I crushed 3 beef bullion cubes for seasoning the meat and we mixed some sour cream into the mashed potatoe's. Peas and carrots where the vegtables. Dang, it was good.

uh

Old 11-14-2009, 06:04 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
ramen noodles & grilled cheese.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM

93 posts, read 163,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Cabbage, link sausage cut up, corn cut off the cob, can of seasoned tomatoes, some onion, and a head of cabbage in a one pot supper. First real meal today.
Folks, you realize that if I ever decide I need to go on a diet, I will need to stop reading this thread... Nomadicus, this meal sounds amazing!

This has been chicken week for me...tonight I had fried chicken, mac and cheese, broccoli and two chocolate chip cookies.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:56 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn lady View Post
Folks, you realize that if I ever decide I need to go on a diet, I will need to stop reading this thread... Nomadicus, this meal sounds amazing!

This has been chicken week for me...tonight I had fried chicken, mac and cheese, broccoli and two chocolate chip cookies.
Sounds delicious...

I made homemade meatball subs... Definitely beats the ones from Subway!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
This thread needs to post a Disclaimer.

Last edited by debey; 11-14-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: sorry..I hit the edit button, instead of quote.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This thread needs to post a Disclaimer.
Cake fail??

Old 11-14-2009, 09:27 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Even though I'm a Canadian I think there are a lot of general principles that can be applied to eating well and not spending too much money on it. I raised 8 kids and I like too eat real good delicous food. I just don't like spending a lot doing it. I never spend more than half price on any meat. A lot of grocery stores put their meat on clearance a couple of days ahead of the stale date. Here it's usually 50% off. Do your shopping first thing in the morning and you will get the best selection of these markdowns. Iwas at the store today and there was a bunch of big chickens marked down to about $4 each. I bought 6 of them. I could make hundreds of different recipies out of them. I also buy lots of 50% off produce. To really save the max you need a good sized freezer. It will pay for it's self many times over. I buy almost no processed food at all. It's expensive, full of chemicals and It's not even in the same league with the food I make from scratch.
A lot of foods like carrots, potatoes, pasta, rice, cabbage and other staples are low cost. The problem is that people find them boring. The secret to get around this is spices. I make a carrot dish that disappears in a flash. I just microwave the carrots for 4 min. I take them out and and mash them put in a spoonful of curry and butter a little salt and pepper and then back in the micro for 2 min. It's cheeeep and good. I have about 10 different kinds of curry and every one of them is very different. I make a lot of Thai food and it's way delicious easy to make and very inexpensive. Last week I made a huge batch of "Green Thai curry" about 20 good sized helpings for a total of about $12. It's so good that even though there is only 4 of us living in the house now it was all eaten in 2 days.

Green Thai curry about 20 helpings. 4 onions, 2green peppers, 2 red peppers, 2 big zuchinnis, 1 bok choi [chinese cabbage] about a pound of bean sprouts and any other veges you may like or have hanging about, about 4 pounds of chicken quarters that were 89cent a pound to begin with but were marked down to half price. Also about 1 whole garlic and equal amount of ginger.

Cut up all the veges into bite sized pieces, I like them small, throw the chicken in some water and boil it. Stir fry the veges in a wok if you have one or a fry pan if not.A spoon or 2 of peanut oil is the best for stir fry as you use high heat and it doesn't burn. Heat up the pan first then put the oil and the garlic and ginger in, cook gor a min or less then put in theveges except the sprouts and bok choi because they cook so fast. stir fry the veges and throw the sprouts and bok choi in when there is just 1 min left to cook. the whole process take 4 to 5 min max. Do not overcook. Take it off the heat and set it aside. I usually just put it in a big bowl. The chicken is usually done about this time and I put it in the sink in cold water. Now using the biggest sause pan you have make the green curry sauce. I put 2 cans of coconut milk 2 cans of water and the juice from 1 can of pineapple pieces. Gently heat this and dissolve about 4 tablespoons of green thai curry paste into it. When it's all desolved and almost boiling put 2 tablespoons of {Nam Pla} into the sauce. That is what makes it taste THai. It'sreally gross stuff. fermented fish sauce but it's essential for any Asian cooking. I'm addicted to it and even out it in western dishes. Thicken the sauce to your own requirments with corn startch.after it thickens turn it off. By now the chicken has cooled down enough that you can take it all apart with your fingers. Cut all the good boneless chicken into bite sized pieces and feed all the skin and grissle to the dog. Take the veges the chicken pieces and the pineapple and add it into the sauce. Gently heat it. You don't want to cook it anymore just keep it hot. Make the biggest pot of jasmine rice you can. You need lots of leftover rice. Don't forget jasmine rice is 1.75 to 1 water to rice mix. You don't want mush. When the rice is done serve the curry over it and let me tell you, it's heavenly. My kids drive 100kms sometimes to come home to get some. The Asians really know how to eat and they know how to do it without spending a lot.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:53 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Cake fail??
I haven't made it yet.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:51 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,730 times
Hi! all,

I'm back online and posting again after a nasty bout of stomach flu. Even gave up and went to the doctor after suffering for almost two weeks with this bug. Sigh...

Yesterday I fixed pizza casserole, salad and fruit for dessert.

Tonight it's Roast Turkey Breast (got the turkey on sale for $1.99 a lb.), mashed potatoes, green beans and cranberry sauce on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota