Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

DaninEFG, the meterologist to the north of us, posted on the weather forum. He said that Mitchell got 4 inches of snow and Sx. Falls got .02. That doesn't sound fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:46 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Today, Sioux Falls got about 3 inches today... it was the light & fluffy stuff. The streets were a mess...I saw half a dozen accidents while I was driving today. It still amazes me that people don't slow down and keep a reasonable distance between the next car when driving in the snow.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Out in the country, the roads are better. Corners and stretches near shelter belts are a little iffy but better than in town. It seems like when the snow is light and fluffy, driving in town is worse than driving out in the country. My guess is that the snow in town does not blow off of the streets as easily and collects.

MJ1986, I agree with some people not slowing down. I tend to be very cautious and go slow to avoid as much trouble with the slippery roads, but there are others who do not take the winter weather as seriously and are more or less taking a gamble. It seems as though the truck drivers and those who drive the full-sized trucks and SUVs are worse than others in the SF area from my observation.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM

415 posts, read 972,317 times
Well they are under the impression that their SUV and Full Size 4x4 Trucks are invincible, when in reality the only thing 4 wheel drive is really good for is preventing you from getting stuck when you are in low traction conditions, its NOT the all clear to drive like a complete moron when the roads are iced over like many people seem to think it is LOL.

It was cold enough this morning that it took me 30 minutes to get my Ramcharger OUT of 4 wheel drive. I've got the kind that you have to drive in reverse to get the hubs to unlock after putting it out of 4 wheel mode and for some reason it was soo cold the hubs just didn't want to release this morning. NOW THATS COLD.

I also had 3 bottles of home made mead over in our Trailer next door that we use for storage and don't have anything but the lights on it right now, no propane or water while its vacant, and all three bottles were damn near frozen solid LOL. Mead Slushies anyone LOLOL.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
We get that here, too. Compound it by 60,000 college students (at least 25% of them foreign, and never having see snow before!) - makes you want to stay home, even when the roads aren't that bad! When it's like it is tonight - there is probably .25 of ice on my car in the three hours I have been home - you don't go anywhere! I felt like I had a big red target on the hood of my car while I was trying to get home!

What peeves me most is that so many people think that "cleaning off your car" means scraping a tiny little spot in the windshield to look through (never mind that the window is probably fogged up on the inside!).

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 AM

415 posts, read 972,317 times
Yeah I remember a time when if your car wasn't completely cleaned off, Tailights, roof, Front bumper, even the license plate area, you would surely get pulled over and issued a warning. I think i am the only one here in this town that actually crawls onto the roof of my ramcharger to sweep (or even shovel) it off. 99% of the time my truck looks as if it never had any snow on it. Main reason I do it is for my safety not just the drivers around me.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Well they are under the impression that their SUV and Full Size 4x4 Trucks are invincible, when in reality the only thing 4 wheel drive is really good for is preventing you from getting stuck when you are in low traction conditions, its NOT the all clear to drive like a complete moron when the roads are iced over like many people seem to think it is LOL.

It was cold enough this morning that it took me 30 minutes to get my Ramcharger OUT of 4 wheel drive. I've got the kind that you have to drive in reverse to get the hubs to unlock after putting it out of 4 wheel mode and for some reason it was soo cold the hubs just didn't want to release this morning. NOW THATS COLD.

I also had 3 bottles of home made mead over in our Trailer next door that we use for storage and don't have anything but the lights on it right now, no propane or water while its vacant, and all three bottles were damn near frozen solid LOL. Mead Slushies anyone LOLOL.
Couldn't agree with you more about the big SUVs and trucks. Combine that with the unbelievable use of cell phones while driving in Sioux Falls, and its a scary mix.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,222 times
so, annette, did you make it?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
Many years ago, my dad said to me..........sweep your car off, or you create your own blizzard, to drive in.......

Old 12-18-2008, 06:55 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Many years ago, my dad said to me..........sweep your car off, or you create your own blizzard, to drive in.......
Or for the car behind you! LOL! I was watching today as the big sheets of ice on top of people's cars flew up in the air and shattered all over the road and the cars behind them! Was surprised not to see any accidents from it! Still waiting on the ice to come in tonight! I could use a day off tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota