Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,649 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

We need some advise. Relocating this summer to SD from CA. Vermillion, Yankton or Sioux Falls. I'm a Cosmetologist and single mom of an advanced
2nd grader doing 3rd and 4th grade work. Which of these areas offer the best opportunities for us? Mom is coming with, she does taxes and tech. book editing, so we need fast internet access. She also owns rental properties in Vermillion, so we need to stay in the southeast portion of the state.

There is supposed to be some sort of secret deal going on re: a power or manuf. plant in Elk Point / Burbank area...does anyone know anything about this.

Also any other towns that would work well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,365,237 times
OMHO~either of those cities would work. I guess I'm a bit partial to Sioux Falls because it has the largest supply of jobs in the state. It also has a bit more of the arts, symphony, concerts, etc. then any other area of the state.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,640 times
Let me say this is my first message and that I am only a mere college student attending classes in Sioux Falls. I grew up about ten minutes away from the city limits and have a bias towards Sioux Falls.

Now for your answer. Sioux Falls is a great place to raise a family. My coworkers and I decided that if a person wants to raise a family, this would be the place to do it. My sisters lives on the outskirts of Sioux Falls, and her three children will attend Harrisburg schools.

From my friends that live in Vermillion, "It dies in the summer." It seems like this town is only a college town. Yes, it is a great city, but from some of the people I know that live there, it shrinks in the summer.

Yankton is a great place. I don't know too much about it, but it is gorgeous. There is history there and of course the Missouri River. Have you checked out any of the websites of the cities? Here is Yanktons; http://www.yanktonsd.com/.

Also a bit more about Sioux Falls. This city is growing and yes there are problems associated with that growth, but the pros outweigh the cons. If your mother was looking for a job with taxes and tech bookkeeping I'm sure she could find a place around here. Plus the schools and colleges are amazing. Just a little plug for the education around the area. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Also with both Avera Health and Sanford Health (just recieved about $400 million) expanding. Jobs are looking to be plentiful.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Hi MM and welcome to the forum. That was amazing the amount of money that was given for the new Sanford Hospital. It looks like it'll be pretty nice when it's all finished. But I have a question about that~was that the old Sioux Valley or McKennan?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,531 times
Smile Yankton would be the good choice.

Personally I would choose Yankton. You have a great lake with beaches, Great town, and great smaller city. Sioux falls is nice to visit but when I am there a day or two is enough. I guess it depends on what you like. If you like a bigger city than that might be a better option for you. Vermillion is dead in the summer and if you like to deal with college students the rest of the year than that would be your choice. NOT MINE!! Lots of crazy's in Vermillion I think. Yankton has a great school system with access to advanced classes and programs. Oh and there is fast internet.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:39 AM

955 posts, read 3,641,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
But I have a question about that~was that the old Sioux Valley or McKennan?

Sioux Valley is now Sanford Just FYI both Sanford and Avera McKennan are also very interested in a joint venture here Rapid City Regional and we are all waiting for word on how it will play out We are all ready for a little competition... I think it will help both our work enviroment here at the hospital and the community services

Avera is still Avera and Sanford folks seem happy about the changes thus far (we work closely with both transplant teams here )

Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,403 times
See the people who are saying things like "Vermillion is dead in the summer" are sadly mistaken. Vermillion may loose a bulk of its population but the Vermillion Community Theatre, the Vermillion Public Library, and the Baseball leagues porsper in the summer months. And the students here that go to college are not at all crazy and wild. They are qonderful art-filled, sports-filled, academic-filled people. They are the added touch that makes Vermillion what it is. And in Vermillion everything is laid back and just perfect. The weather is wonderful all year round. The only reason you wouldn't want to move to Vermillion is if you wanted to get hit by the huge thunderstorms that roll across the plains in the summer. The town is located on a bluff and protected by rivers from any harmful weather.

As for your mom, she could find a perfect job in the University. They offer so much for people that are looking for work. Most people who work at the U. love their job. The housing in Vermillion is also wonderful. I'd suggest finding a house along the Bluffs Gold Course or the Valley View street. Both of these places are beautiful and have awesome, spacious homes that could support a family.

Some local attractions are the Shrine to Music which is one of America's finest musical musuems with everything from Johnny Cash's old guitar to an ancient violin with its only copy in Munich, Germany. There is Historic Downtown Vermillion where most of the buildings just reached their 100 year old mark but they are as fun as ever from Sports Bars and Grills to Movie Theatres and such. Vermillion has so much to offer

The Vermillion School District is run by many great people. The teachers are very friendly people. The High School goes by advanced curriculum which goes above and beyond state requirements for your advanced children. And if you're looking for a Religious, Advanced, and Direct education for your kids you could send them to St. Agnes which is a pleasant Catholic school. The town is diverse. There are sporty people, artsy people, every kind of person you'd ever hope to meet you can meet in Vermillion.

Sioux Falls is alright if you like a lot of people and Yankton does have a wonderful beach area but Vermillion is beautiful and quaint and only 30 minutes from Yankton and and hour from Sioux Falls. It gives you an access to all of the towns you listed. If you lived in Yankton would have to go for an hour and a half to Sioux Falls. Vermillion is wonderful, the people are friendly. It perfectly portrays South Dakota's little jingle

"Great Places, Great Faces, South Dakota"

Also, the plot of land in Elk Point is 2,000 acres large and is thought to be one of the following

-Toyota Factory w/ Buffer
-Ethanol Plant
-Oil Refinery

Find anything else about Vermillion that you want to know here

http://www.vermillion.us/

Last edited by dkronaizl1; 05-11-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-13-2007, 10:37 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,682,006 times
Default Avera, Sanford, in Rapid City???

Are these hospitals really attempting to input in Rapid City?

GOOD! Finally a little competition! Regional Healthcare is great, but they have a MAJOR MONOPOLY on the entire Black Hills/Western Plains area... that's about 300,000 people!

Plus, I can see why: Rapid City is growing at an alarming rate. I read that by 2010, Rapid City is projected to have 150,000 inhabitants!! maybe I'll have to resort to Mitchell with Jammie !

Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Are these hospitals really attempting to input in Rapid City?

GOOD! Finally a little competition! Regional Healthcare is great, but they have a MAJOR MONOPOLY on the entire Black Hills/Western Plains area... that's about 300,000 people!

Plus, I can see why: Rapid City is growing at an alarming rate. I read that by 2010, Rapid City is projected to have 150,000 inhabitants!! maybe I'll have to resort to Mitchell with Jammie !
Come on over. Actually, the Sanford Hospitals aren't new. They've just taken over the old ones like McKennan. Still no competition.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:44 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,936,036 times
Default Rapid City

Want to move there? Please do. I grew up in Rapid. At the West End of town. It was nice.

School system? It's one of the finest. I went to school there and will be the first to tell you that I hated it. Course, I was a kid in school so you know I was biased. hahahaha I went through normal school and became an engineer. Never attended any follow on school. I argured with teachers and they provided me with the best come backs. I couldn't beat them.

Canyon Lake???? I have rafted all over that lake. But the best was to intertube from Canyon Lake to the East end of town. Get down there by Family and you had made a good day.

Few people would know what I was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota