Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times

Advertisements

A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and HMO paperwork and was burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be beneficial, he decided to become a mechanic.

He went to the local technical college, signed up for classes, attended diligently, and learned all he could. When the time for the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared carefully for weeks and completed the exam with tremendous skill.

When the results came back, he was surprised to find that he had obtained a score of 150%. Fearing an error, he called the instructor, saying, "I don't want to appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I wonder if there is an error in the grade."

The instructor said, "During the exam, you took the engine apart perfectly, which was worth 50% of the total mark.

"You put the engine back together again perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark."

After a pause, the instructor added, "I gave you an extra 50% because you did it all through the muffler, which I've never seen done in my entire life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 10:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and HMO paperwork and was burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be beneficial, he decided to become a mechanic.

He went to the local technical college, signed up for classes, attended diligently, and learned all he could. When the time for the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared carefully for weeks and completed the exam with tremendous skill.

When the results came back, he was surprised to find that he had obtained a score of 150%. Fearing an error, he called the instructor, saying, "I don't want to appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I wonder if there is an error in the grade."

The instructor said, "During the exam, you took the engine apart perfectly, which was worth 50% of the total mark.

"You put the engine back together again perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark."

After a pause, the instructor added, "I gave you an extra 50% because you did it all through the muffler, which I've never seen done in my entire life."
LOL! I'll have to share that one with my OB-GYN!

Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Talking Dave Barry's "LowLights of 2009"

Hysterical recap of the year by the best humorist out there - Dave Barry Lowlights of a Downer Year: Dave Barry on the money, madness and misery of 2009 - washingtonpost.com

Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM

451 posts, read 976,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Hysterical recap of the year by the best humorist out there - Dave Barry Lowlights of a Downer Year: Dave Barry on the money, madness and misery of 2009 - washingtonpost.com

R_Cowgirl: That is just so sadly funny; what a great humorist!!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Got this in an email and thought it was kinda cute~true, too.

It's winter in South Dakota
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love South Dakota

when the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave South Dakota

Cause I'm frozen to the ground!!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Jammie - That's a good one. I can relate.
OK - here's another from a friend:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs.
Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave side service for a homeless man.
He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back-country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man I didn't stop for directions.
I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight.
There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.
I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place.

I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.
The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around.
I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends.
I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.
And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep.
They wept, I wept, we all wept together.
When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car.
Though my head hung low my heart was full.

As I was opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "Sweet Mother of Jesus, I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,007 times
On the sixth day, God turned to the Archangel Gabriel and said:

'Today I am going to create a land called South Dakota . It will be a land
Of outstanding natural beauty. It shall have tall majestic landscapes
full of buffalo, tall grass, and hawks, beautiful skies, forests full of
Elk and deer, rich farmland and fair skinned people.'

God continued, 'I shall make the land rich in resources so as to make
the inhabitants prosper. I shall call these inhabitants, Dakotans,
and they shall be known as a most friendly people.'

'But Lord,' asked Gabriel, 'don't you think you are being too generous
To these Dakotans?'

'Not really,' replied God 'just wait and see the winters I am going to
Give them.'

Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,007 times
EXERCISE FOR PEOPLE OVER 50 Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.

Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
At Wal-mart a while ago. Walked down the isle with all the Valentine's day stuff. All I could think was Bah! Humbug... Well Bah effing humbug!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,162 times
Iam sorry rj.Ive already bought my hubby some cookies from there.Iam really happy to have someone to buy little reminders of my love for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota