Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times

Advertisements

Just because they knew they were committing a crime they deserve to die? All of a sudden their life is worth less than anyone else's because they have committed a terrible crime?

See, the death penalty does not make sense. No one person should be able to take the life of another person due to their actions, no matter how grave they are. They are endowed with life and we as humans should not have the right to take it away from them.

As the cliche goes: Two wrongs do not make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
punishment as a basic concept has disappeared. we are under a rewards system only.
does not work with all animals, certainly not humans. Dr Spock lied. time out does not work. a deal for another country to handle our penal system would save billions amounting to banishment for capital crimes. just an idea.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Just because they knew they were committing a crime they deserve to die?
Oh no. Don't get me wrong. Not because they knew they were committing a crime, but because the "Did" commit a crime that was punishable by the death sentence and they decided to gamble and took a chance.

I remember reading somewhere, "An eye for an eye".

Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM

"An eye for an eye" was a rule before the coming of Christ when we were hard of heart. It was used by Hammurabi, a vicious ruler and conqueror. According to Christians, Christ teaches forgiveness and teaches tells us not to seek vengeance. "Thou shalt not kill" is a more fitting phrase. Seeking vengeance does nothing for the betrayed.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 AM

They should change the wording on it.

We uthenize animals, but kill people. No, we uthenize people for the same reason we uthenize animals. Control a out of control problem.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM

I don't understand why people think they have the power to euthanize other people. Just because they ask us to end their pain doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. Shouldn't pain be embraced just as much as pleasure and joy in this life?

Isn't pain and suffering a part of life? Doesn't it make joy all the better?
Why deprive people of it?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:35 AM

46 posts, read 116,766 times
Next time you stub your toe, remember to embrace it. You don't need pain and suffering to know what joy and pleasure is, do you??? If you do, how sad. Deprive people of pain and suffering? Seems like a strange thing to say. Sorry, I don't buy it. How about who ever is without sin cast the first stone?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why people think they have the power to euthanize other people. Just because they ask us to end their pain doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. Shouldn't pain be embraced just as much as pleasure and joy in this life?

Isn't pain and suffering a part of life? Doesn't it make joy all the better?
Why deprive people of it?
It's very simple really. We the people, elect officials to represent us in state and national government. They submitted a bill, and it was approved for the death penalty. Obviously, it's still here because the majority of the people want it here.

What good does it do to have a law on the book that says, "You took the lives of 7 people, we're going to demand that you get at least 2 years of probation!!!!!" Boy, that will deter crime. Watch them run for other states to get away from the terrible laws in South Dakota.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM

I am sorry, but I still think that execution is barbaric and unnecessary. Who are we to put people to death?

You're entitled to your opinions, so I guess I'm just the outlier here.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but I still think that execution is barbaric and unnecessary. Who are we to put people to death?

You're entitled to your opinions, so I guess I'm just the outlier here.
Danny, you aren't the only one who feels that way. I'm sort of on the fence about it. As far as Biblically, I'm confused about it. It does say an eye for an eye in the OT, just like was said. In the NT it says, "Do not do this unto your brethen, an eye for an eye....." So it does wipe out the pre-Christ attitudes. Then there's another part of the Scripture that says that if someone kills another person, they are immediately supposed to be sent to God for him to deal with the punishment. And sorry, I remember things I read in it, but I'm not one of the people who can quote chapter and verse. We're all pretty divided on exactly how we feel about it. It's a rough subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota