U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,595,207 times

Advertisements

I wanted to ask this question to see different perspectives. I like South Dakota for the following reasons:
-Common sense exists with most people
-Safe
-Affordable
-Diversity in the weather (makes me appreciate the nice weather all that much more)
-Easy to drive (manageable traffic)
-The good-natured people who are friendly (the top reason)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM

225 posts, read 1,037,867 times
Can an "outsider" chime in on this? I am not from South Dakota (originally from Long Island now living just outside of Philly, PA) but I had a very strong attraction to the area back in the early 1990's. I researched it and even made a two week visit there. I loved the area and the people and had every intention of moving there. It was the winters that kep me from finishing that move. At the time I lived in NY and I thought it was freezing cold there so I could only imagine how it must be in Rapid. The job opportunity/wages also kept me from going through with the move at the time. Otherwise - I love the scenary. Absolutely beautiful. I found the people, local and tourists alike, to be very friendly and accomodating. I found Rapid City to be very well laid out street-wise and I enjoyed the many "downtown shops" that were there. Many which I am sure may be gone by now. I enjoyed how the city itself is situated inside the Black Hills so no matter where you turn to look you will have a view of them. You are right, it is affordable but the lower wages could offset that just as a place like NYC may have higher wages but then you pay more in the cost of living. One other thing that impressed me greatly was the smallness (as in comfortable and cozy) and neatness of the airport. Very easy to find your way there. Anyone who has ever dealt with Laguardia or JFK will know why that comparison is so important.

I have often thought about going back to Rapid to make a permanant life there and at this time I am giving it some very serious reconsideration. I hope the economy pulls up to fare better all over and I hope this quaint little small-sized city but not a town place has not become "overdeveloped" where it would have lost its charm and appeal. The mention of this second shopping mall has me a little concerned. At the time I was there I believe it was just Rushmore Mall, across from the six-plex movie theatre and I believe there was a Sears and a Goodyear tire place near it. Eeeekk, I am going back to 1992 so my memory may be a little faded on locales.

Anyway, those are my reasons. Which is pretty much an echo of yours. I hope to get back out there within the next few years. Are literary and web design skills in a demand? LOL.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,908,679 times
Great light topic, Chris! And Wandering, of course your post is welcome here! I hope that some day you decide on moving over this way. Honestly, the winters out in Rapid City aren't that brutal. They don't get the 30 and 40 below windchills we get on the eastern side of the state.

1. Low crime rates. We have our little crimes here, but when I get discouraged, I just go and read the online newspapers from a few parts of the country and I have a new appreciation for South Dakota.

2. Friendly people. I have to agree with Wandering on this one. A huge majority of the people here are nice and will give you a smile and a "HI". Most of them would also help a total stranger out if they asked for help.

3. We make an effort to take care of our homeless. Most larger cities/towns provide at least one meal a day to the less fortunate. There is also shelter for them and that's necessary with our cold winters. There is only one place in the country that I am aware of that tops us in providing and caring for their homeless and that's Tulsa.

4. We have beautiful weather in the springtime, summer, and early fall. And since this is a positive thread, I won't even mention the "W" word.

5. Reasonable cost of living. Housing/rent is a bit high in some areas, but it's nothing compared to many parts of the country. Also, the Black Hills Region has some of the lowest utility rates in the country.

6. Employment. Even though things aren't going too well in our state right now, we still have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Hopefully we'll be able to come out of this little slump soon and be back on track.

7. The last I heard, there were already 38 states that had no money to operate. We're not thriving in this area, but the money IS in place for us to make it through 2009 and some states were broke Oct. 2008 already. That shows a bit of planning going on in Pierre.

8. Beauty. We have some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. The Badlands themselves are quite unique and I've yet to see something that even compares to the beauty and grandeur of the Black Hills. Our streams and waterfalls are clear and our lakes and rivers are fairly clean and I've learned that in itself is quite rare.

9. Progressive. Sioux Falls is one of the most progressive cities in the country. They've kind of hit a bump in the road, but there were Mayors from other parts of the country who contacted the Sx. Falls Mayor to see what the city is "doing right" with drawing in new businesses and success in planning with their growth.

10. Peacefulness. There isn't an area in our state that you can't take a 15 minute drive and be out in the country or by a lake or by a river or stream or falls. Even in our largest city, there are beautiful, peaceful parks with Falls Park being the number one spot.

11. We have very little pollution so our air is also clean.

12. An abundance of wildlife all the way from birds and squirrels to the beautiful deer that roam here.

OK, there's more, but I'll stop for now.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM

100 posts, read 251,511 times
south dakota is full of wonder,when i am there i wonder whats around the next bend,i wonder what makes the people here so nice,is it the water? south dakota is the closet i have been to heaven

Old 01-26-2009, 05:43 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,097,362 times
I like South Dakota for pretty much all of the same reasons that everyone else has listed too.

Weather -at least around the Black Hills anyway- you get all four seasons and winters are never depressing because we get so much sunshine and any snowfall we get melts quickly.

Traffic -there is none. Traffic is SD is a joke. It's "Sunday driving" everyday.

Taxes -SD is a tax haven. No income tax. Low property taxes in most places. Low 4% tax out of cities. Cheap vehicle registration and licensing. Cheap fines and fees.

Varied -like Jammie said, you are never more than 10 minutes away from the wilderness or some body of water. Both Rapid City and Sioux Falls boast a lot of neat parks and recreational activities. And like WS said, it's neat to be somewhere in Rapid City and just look up at the mountains. You can see snow on the peaks while you're wearing shorts in the city.

Neat people -mo one competes here or tries to "keep up with the Jones's". If you come here and you drive a Mercedes and own 3 boats prepare for NO jaws to drop. No one here is materialistic or a hedonist. Jeans and a tee-shirt suffice ANYWHERE. (Can also be a bad thing but that's SD for ya )

Old 01-26-2009, 07:01 PM

464 posts, read 1,297,089 times
omg, did Danny just admit there are low property taxes here?
j/k

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,169,803 times
Looks like we all think alike .

I like the low crime rate, friendly/hard-working people, 4 different seasons (even though I'm getting sick of winter!), diverse topography, affordable/low cost of living, low unemployment.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,595,207 times
May and June along with Septembers and parts of Octobers in South Dakota are my favorite times of the year. Most of the time, the temps are comfy and just fun to be out and about during that time (even if it is a little cloudy and rainy).

I agree with DannyBanany's good point on the lack of "Keeping up with the Jones' attitude" and materialism compared to other states. Nebraska and other Midwestern states such as Missouri (rural), Kansas, etc. are similar to us. Wearing T-shirt and jeans or dressing more casual is fine here while it may be poo-hooed in some other areas. People here like you for who you are (character) instead of how rich you are or how many toys/possessions you have. The sincerity of the people is a trait to be appreaciated.

I love the eastern part of the state with its flatlands and lakes and the west with the Black Hills and Badlands. Of course, I like Mt. Rushmore.

South Dakota is definitely a unique state and one to be proud of.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,057,937 times
Hi all -- I made it to Pierre Tuesday night. Flew on Great Lakes out of Denver. Six people on the flight! First thing I noticed as I walked out to the commuter terminal at Denver? The people got progressively friendlier. People were making eye contact and saying, "Hi. How ya doin'?" ( you have to fill in the Dakota accent...LOL) Everyone sitting around waiting for flights to Montana, South Dakota, and Wyoming were just chatting away like old friends. A young woman lost her passport and I helped her find it. Everyone was concerned for her, saw me talking to her and asked how she was doing.

When I got to Pierre, the Avis lady was very helpful, even though I wasn't renting a car. The people at the hotel all talked to me like they knew me. I travel 150,000 miles a year. I have comparisons... and really, there are few places left like this in the world... I take my SD roots with me wherever I go, and when I look people in the eye in some places, they get a little nervous. But in South Dakota, it is the natural and friendly thing to do. Eye contact. What a concept... ;-D

Gotta love this place! It's easy to think that my memories of warm and friendly interactions between strangers are of a time long gone. But right here... in living color... the same friendliness, the same helpfulness, the same "SAFE" feeling is here just like it was all those years ago when I lived here. It's good to feel at home.

And Jammie -you are right - your government knows what it's doing. I like Governor Rounds. He's smart about focusing the State's resources on the things that will bring money into the state. Your tourism industry supports more than 36,000 jobs in the state, and that's a good thing. It's a very business-friendly state.

All of the above goes a long way to mitigating the weather issues some people might have. The quality of life in South Dakota is very high, and the people haven't lost the small town charm and small town values that make it a great place to live and visit.

I'm back now, but I had a chance to visit Huron, Madison, Brookings, and Sioux Falls. Beautiful!

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 01-27-2009 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: dropped a whole sentence ... just fixed that.;-D

Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM

225 posts, read 1,037,867 times
Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments. See, this is what makes South Dakota so special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>