U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM

21 posts, read 82,493 times

Advertisements

I found this while compiling a list of things to do while in the Black Hills reagion. http://www.rosyinn.com/5000.htm (broken link) It is sponsored by the Roosevelt Inn. I've never stayed there , so I can't give an opinion on the place, but the web site is very informative of the very diverse amount of things to do in the region. Everything from antiquing , history , hiking , biking , spelunking(one of my favorites), steam train rides , helcopter rides , all kinds of really cool stuff to look at and I haven't even scratched the surface...oh , yeah...speak of surface scratching...mining , panning , prospecting ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 PM

190 posts, read 394,410 times
Triqjoh,
You mention (.oh , yeah...speak of surface scratching...mining , panning , prospecting ..), you missed one! I spend lots of time "rockhunting in the Black Hills & love it. Here is just a very very small number of what I find.

Fairburn Agates - The only area in the United States to find them.

Bob

Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,756,696 times
Those are beautiful!! What area of the Hills do you mine in?

Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM

190 posts, read 394,410 times
Jammie,
These are from the flats about 15 miles East of Rapid City. They washed out of the Black Hills proper thousands of years ago. They can still be found in the Black Hills, still embedded in limestone, but you need to really look for them in the proper areas. Not all areas in the Hills have them. The limestone makeup has to be of the correct composure.

Bob

Old 03-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Those rocks polish up real nice. Way cool paterns too.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Since tourist season is getting close , I thought I would give this thread a bump , so folks planning to visit the Black Hills could start their things to do and see list.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 AM

Just giving this thread another bump to the top. Some shameless promotion of the Paha Sapa area going on here. What is good for my new home community , is good for me also .

Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 AM

So how do you like it here? And refresh my memory, where did you move from?

Old 04-26-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
So how do you like it here? And refresh my memory, where did you move from?
Hey Jammie. I'm getting a little burned out on the weather , but the locals are sniveling about the weather more than the ex mexifornia guy. So I don't feel so bad about my sniveling. I've even gotten in some riding time in between getting my new business built and all of the paperwork involve with moving from one country to another..er I mean one state to another.
It is much easier to dodge the flocks of wild turkey and herds of dear than the unisured invaders in mexifornia. The clean breathable air is nice, and the sky actually is blue! After the last 20+ years in that other country, I mean state, I thought the sky was a yellowish copper color. I'm still getting used to not having to chew the air before breathing it. And no gangbangers or their garbage graffitti everywhere! HAL-LEE-LOO-YA !!! The folks working at the home improvement stores and other businesses I've visited are actually friendly, helpfull and speak English. I have to keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. So I guess I like it here.
I miss my beloved though. It will be nice when everything is ready and she can join me. It kinda makes me feel like the pioneers of old, but thankfully we don't have to send letters back and forth. We have the telephone and internet to stay in touch every day.
I've rambled enough, this thread is supposed to be about things to do in the Black Hills , not what I'm doing in the Black Hills.
Everybody has their version of paradise , I'm in mine.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Well, we didn't get off topic. You're telling us what you're doing in the Hills. I'm so glad to hear that you like it in So. Dak. And I'm sure you will be much happier when your wife can join you there. I don't think I could tolerate that far of a separation. (co-dependency, maybe??? )

You know, we do have plans on relocating in the future. But there are moments when we really second guess ourselves. A few months ago I participated in a thread that asked what we like about our state. You wouldn't believe how long the thread I posted was. There are also moments when we check out real estate in another state that we appreciate what we have here. Crime rates in a lot of other areas are something else that's pretty scary. Just so many things. We only speak English and unless we move to another country, I will continue only speaking English. You know, just things like that get you thinking.

HMMMM, I didn't post "blue skies" as a positive in that thread, but I'm glad you mentioned it. The funny thing is that back in the 60s and 70s, everyone wanted to move to southern California when they grew up. It's ironic that now a lot of people are leaving there. Too bad that things have gotten so out of hand that this had to happen.

We've been having beautiful weather over on this side of the state. Our days are in the 70s and this weekend we're supposed to be in the low 80s. Years ago we still had snow this time of year so things are improving. And in the wintertime you won't find a bigger whiner about the weather then I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota