Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM

37 posts, read 160,669 times

Advertisements

My spouse spend so much job time in the SD/IA/WY area that we're considering moving there so we see each other more than we do now.

I have low vision and do not drive. How easy/hard is it to get around in either Sioux Falls or Rapid City with public transportation or good ol' sneaker-net?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
Welcome, to City Data, ghghx!
There are several others, who post here, who will have much better informatiion, than me. I did find a link, for public transportation, in Sioux Falls................
STI: ERsys - Sioux Falls, SD (Public Transportation)

Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
Rapid has several options for public transit -

Rapid Ride has set routes around town

Dial a ride is for those with medical issues or disabilities, something that makes them eligible (possibly your limited vision).

Here are links for both services through Rapid Transit

Rapid Ride | Rapid City | South Dakota | Black Hills | Rapid Transit System | Transportation

Rapid City | South Dakota | Black Hills | Rapid Transit System | Transportation | Dial-A-Ride

Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Rapid City can be pedestrian friendly depending on where you live. There are a lot of people that live downtown without cars. Downtown is very pedestrian friendly because there are apartments and lofts above businesses.

Like Busy said, Rapid Ride is a good bus system that goes to most stretches of town. It tends to stay on busier roads though so you may want to look at the routes before you pick a place to live and work.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM

22 posts, read 153,162 times
I don't think Sioux Falls is very pedestrian friendly. Unfortunately everything is too far spread apart in between one of hundreds of strip malls and parking lots to have any real density. If you're going to go car-less I'd absolutely recommend downtown or the surrounding neighborhoods. You'll have easy access to buses and there's a free "trolley" that rides around downtown during the spring and summer months. If you pay attention and know where to look you can even pick up cabs without calling in advance. You'll be in walking distance to all the important stuff (supermarkets, churches, etc.) and all the fun stuff (cafes, shops, museums, etc.)

If you can, consider getting a bicycle.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
siouxfallstransit.org: Sioux Falls Transit is a good website to look at for public transportation in Sioux Falls.
There's also numerous taxi cab companies... I've heard good things about them.
Sioux Falls Transit has plenty of bus stops throughout the city, and two main hubs... One is downtown, and the other is on S. Louise Avenue near The Empire Mall.
If you have disabilities (the guidelines in the ADA), the Sioux Falls Paratransit is also available.

If you feel like walking, its not a problem. Sidewalks are along almost every street, and all of the intersections with traffic signals have the "Walk/Do Not Walk" symbols. A growing number of them even have a countdown timer, so you know how much time you have to cross the intersection.

I've walked almost 4 miles in Sioux Falls (My car was being worked on ), and really enjoyed it. (I even crossed 41st & Louise... for you locals :P ). People will not run you over, and will recognize you walking across a street. As long as you follow the pedestrian rules, you'll be fine!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 PM

37 posts, read 160,669 times
Thanks, everyone, especially for the links.

I'd absolutely want to find a place to live in center of everything. I've done my time in suburbia and in the middle of nowhere -- had enough of that. It's just too isolating, and I like the idea of being able to go to the grocery or library without having to plan a week (or more) ahead. Work isn't a big issue since I telecommute. My employer doesn't care where I live as long as I have access to a high-speed internet connection and FedEx. I do qualify for paratransit (or at least I have in other areas), but I try to minimize my use of it.

Skate, yes, that is what I have in mind. I'm fairly self-entertaining, but it would be nice to be able to walk to a cafe or take in class or a movie. Unfortunately, a bicycle is out of the question. I'd be a public menace on one.

DannyBanany, are there reasonably-priced, quiet apartments on the main streets of RC? I can't get a good read on how the nearby military affects housing costs (if at all).

OK, what's the scoop on 41st and Louise in SxF? You have me curious!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghghx View Post

DannyBanany, are there reasonably-priced, quiet apartments on the main streets of RC? I can't get a good read on how the nearby military affects housing costs (if at all).

OK, what's the scoop on 41st and Louise in SxF? You have me curious!
Most apartments downtown are studios or just 1 bedrooms and the rent is reasonably priced. In Rapid City, just because it's downtown doesn't mean it's more expensive. We're not a big city where housing is more expensive the closer you are to the center.

In Sioux Falls, 41st and Louise is the busiest intersection. In fact, it's probably the busiest intersection in South Dakota.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
ghghx, I think Rapid City or Sioux Falls would be great for you. Sioux Falls has a lot of downtown lofts that are upscale, but reasonably priced.
And yeah, like Danny said, its the busiest intersection in SD... crossing 8 lanes of traffic is scary, especially when half of the drivers run the red lights

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
The downtown areas would be decent, although I would not recommend living directly west of downtown. Sioux Falls has a decent transit system and its transit routes are along major roads. There are some of the newer areas on the outskirts of Sioux Falls that lack transit routes, but many of these areas have the vast majority of people drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota