Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM

29 posts, read 93,300 times

Advertisements

I had Swiss students with me that had an America the Beautiful card, not sure if they ever got to use it. For 70 - 80 bucks, they were told they could get into any park. Guess not. I had to tell them I was from Sioux Falls, and I don't know these people. We stayed with my brother in Rapid, an still had a fun trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 PM

75 posts, read 188,034 times
I say stay where you are, you can see the same thing in flagstaff. Seeing mount rushmore would be cool but you can only view from a distance. Rapid mountains are nothing compared to AZ mountains and views. I so miss hiking, I used to hike in AZ on the weekends now I'm just frozen and stuck inside night, day and all weekend.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,390,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlaz View Post
I say stay where you are, you can see the same thing in flagstaff. Seeing mount rushmore would be cool but you can only view from a distance. Rapid mountains are nothing compared to AZ mountains and views. I so miss hiking, I used to hike in AZ on the weekends now I'm just frozen and stuck inside night, day and all weekend.
Totally disagree. Mount Rushmore is an American icon... a symbol of our freedom, liberty, and justice. Its worth it! Plus, the poster (I'm guessing) isn't coming here to hike... which they can, but the trip will be filled with other attractions.

lazlaz, I recommend moving back to Arizona if you don't like it here.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,663,948 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood. They're coming up here as tourists. They're not moving. Besides, why wouldn't anyone want to move here from Arizona? It's a total change and it may be appealing to them.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
Quote:
Have you actually ever been to Mt. Rushmore? You're making it sound like you see this remote little carved out mountain from miles away and need a telescope to see it. Mt. Rushmore is in South Dakota and not in Minnesota, if you catch my drift.

Are you trying to compare the Black Hills to desert mountains? What's up with that? Do they even remotely appear to be similar?

Last edited by Jammie; 02-22-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 PM

205 posts, read 726,849 times
The Black Hills are so unique they can't be compared to anything, anywhere. It is not just the appearance and activities, but the feeling of the place.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:40 PM

50 posts, read 164,919 times
There are three websites that can tell you about what there is to see and do in the Black Hills area. www.travelsd.com is the SD State Tourism site
www.blackhillsbadlands.com is another website that is connected to the state tourism website. www.travelinfomap.com is a website about the entire state, which comes in handy if you are entering the state from the south or east of the Black Hills. All of these will tell you just about everything there is out there to see and do. We also have some great local tour companies that leaves you to see and do and leave the driving to them Welcome to South Dakota - I know you will enjoy your visit. I will warn you though, unless you are on a motorcycle, you might want to make plans before or after the first two weeks in August. That is the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and there is close to a half of a million bikers in the area at that time.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM

75 posts, read 188,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Totally disagree. Mount Rushmore is an American icon... a symbol of our freedom, liberty, and justice. Its worth it! Plus, the poster (I'm guessing) isn't coming here to hike... which they can, but the trip will be filled with other attractions.

lazlaz, I recommend moving back to Arizona if you don't like it here.
Yeah, icon it is but the last I knew the flag was the icon for freedom liberty and justice. I saw a posting about all these great places or must see in SD such as Fort Randall dam. Hoover dam the most amazing of all is in AZ, Fort Randall doesn't even compare not to mention it's in the middle of no where and once they drive over it they will be stuck driving hours to find the next AMAZING thing. I'm trying to save them the 2-4 day road trip. Rapid is a a beautiful area but it just doesn't compare to the amazing views of AZ (canyons, mountians, clear waters, waterfalls, hundreds of hiking trails, etc.)
Not to worry I don't live in SD but if I chose to move back or recommend a place to move to in SD it would be Rapid City only because it has much more to offer as far as outdoor activities which would be of great interest for those into outdoors.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,449,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
My boyfriend and I are going to plan a trip to South Dakota this summer. I don't know a single thing about this state (except that it is under North Dakota ) and want a little advice from you!

We want to visit Mt. Rushmore. We will be visiting for approximately 4 days. What other tourism spots are worth seeing? I read online about jewel and windy cave and black hills forest?? Anyways, any suggestions to go within a 4 day timetable would be greatly appreciated. If you have anything you think is worth seeing/visiting I would like to know so I can begin my research online.

Also, what will the weather be like in the summer, say in May or June?
bring a warm hoodie/jacket. jeans and shorts, both. rain gear optional!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,449,020 times
Quote:
Yeah, icon it is but the last I knew the flag was the icon for freedom liberty and justice. I saw a posting about all these great places or must see in SD such as Fort Randall dam. Hoover dam the most amazing of all is in AZ, Fort Randall doesn't even compare not to mention it's in the middle of no where and once they drive over it they will be stuck driving hours to find the next AMAZING thing. I'm trying to save them the 2-4 day road trip. Rapid is a a beautiful area but it just doesn't compare to the amazing views of AZ (canyons, mountians, clear waters, waterfalls, hundreds of hiking trails, etc.)
Not to worry I don't live in SD but if I chose to move back or recommend a place to move to in SD it would be Rapid City only because it has much more to offer as far as outdoor activities which would be of great interest for those into outdoors.
Lazlaz..........
From reading your posts, you will never be happy living anywhere but in Arizona......Just my opinion, of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota