Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times

Advertisements

Roads were slippery around the Sioux Falls area. Lennox did not get as much of the rain and snow as Sioux Falls and the roads are better in Lennox than Sioux Falls. Although, places south of Lennox were icier.

Not a fun task having to scrape a good coat of ice off the windshield and side windows of my car. The mirrors were a pain to clear off.

An inch at the most for snow in my area, better than areas to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 22,405 times
Thanks for the info guys. Although South Dakota wasn't a pick on my list of places to go, I think this might be one of those blessings in disguise. I mean I love to shoot my guns, camp, and ride my ATV just like I do here in Alaska. So I guess if I can do all those things then I am in luck. Just the weird thing is, of all the places iv been to in the last 8 years in the military, none of them ever had anything other than rain or snow. I literally havnt seen a thunderstorm in 8 years. Call me weird but its something about a good storm that just calms me down lol. Most folks freak out and head for cover, im the one grabbing a book and setting up a chair in the yard.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,712,662 times
I like sleeping through t-storms at night. The rain and rumble lulls me to sleep.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,242 times
I want to make a big move soon, and I was thinking about Sioux Falls, or Sioux City Iowa, but I am afraid of tornadoes. I grew up in Chicago, lived in New Jersey and Georgia. Georgia has tornadoes, and grand T-storms with high winds and golfball-sized hail. Sometimes the lightning is so cool. It does some pretty spectacular loop-de-loops like circuits and other things.
I have to admit, I don't know which state I will feel safe in. I hate hot weather!!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Since you hate hot weather, have you considered the Black Hills area? The temps do get up there, but the climate is semi-arid so there is very little humidity. They also have fewer tornadoes then the eastern part of the state.

We really don't have that many tornadoes. I think the stats show that my town has a 58% greater chance of having a tornado then average areas in the country. BUT I've seen areas that have a 250% greater chance.

Just set up a plan like head for the basement, etc. Be sure to find out where your nearest shelter is in case of a tornado warning, etc. Some people feel more comfy with a weather radio. I know it's not a lot of comfort, but I'm actually more afraid of snowstorms and ice then tornadoes. They always appear and tornadoes are pretty hit and miss. The tornado season in Ga. is MUCH longer then it is here. We're still having winter weather while you guys are getting tornado warnings.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,494,104 times
"knock on wood"...........ok. I can't post, with out feeling like it could be a jinx..........I put new battery in the weather radio, this weekend.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,242 times
Jammie I know why you would fear snowstorms more than tornadoes. I have to make up my mind to get over the fear. :-) Thanks for the info.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddStealth View Post
I want to make a big move soon, and I was thinking about Sioux Falls, or Sioux City Iowa, but I am afraid of tornadoes. I grew up in Chicago, lived in New Jersey and Georgia. Georgia has tornadoes, and grand T-storms with high winds and golfball-sized hail. Sometimes the lightning is so cool. It does some pretty spectacular loop-de-loops like circuits and other things.
I have to admit, I don't know which state I will feel safe in. I hate hot weather!!
Redd, from a weather point of view, Sioux Falls and Sioux City are very similar. Personally, I'd never live in Sioux City. Crime is higher there (according to stats), and it's not as progressive as Sioux Falls. I had a teacher in one of my classes who was born and raised in Sioux City, and she commented how Sioux Falls doesn't have a "ghetto" area, but Sioux City does. Yet, Sioux Falls is larger than Sioux City. That always stuck in my mind.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM

267 posts, read 898,024 times
If you're in base housing, you'll have awesome views of the storms as they roll in. I spent many a night hanging out in the park behind the air museum watching the lightning off towards the city. Nice cool breeze, lots of lightning and thunder - and no dust storms attached like at Luke (that's where I came here from) The heat isn't bad - it isn't humid here at all, and again, coming from AZ, I think it's nothing. I made it though the entire winter by myself, with no 4 wheel drive, so I'm pretty sure that part is okay too. We definitely get all 4 seasons here, and I've enjoyed all of them once so far - getting started on my 2nd time around!!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 PM

46 posts, read 120,251 times
When does tornado season start? Wouldn't want to move up there during peak season and find myself loaded down in my car as a wind funnel coming's zipping at me.

Though it would probably make for a nice picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota