Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 PM

479 posts, read 1,549,320 times

Advertisements

Very interesting, sorry if already posted. Looks like our area is the last line of defense.

multimediafinal (http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:52 PM

46 posts, read 120,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
If your living somewhere you cant find work and just burning up your savings why not pack up to find a better place.just becareful where you end up.
That's it. Especially if you're living somewhere and have no savings, and can't find enough work to keep afloat current bills.

While it would be nice to be able to save six months worth of money before making a move, the reality for a large group of people at the bottom of the tax bracket is that saving money at all is next to impossible, with how things are.

The gamble on moving to an area that has jobs (or low unemployment) seems more worth it than staying in an area and a situation that is a sinking ship. Some people have no network or support where they currently are. The unknown of a new area is scary, but knowing the area you're currently in isn't going to improve you're situation is scarier.

It's better to take the chance, imo, even if it doesn't work out, if you know that where you're at isn't getting better.

It is foolish to just move somewhere with out researching it, looking into it's job oppurtunities, cost of living, and so forth, but it's not always economically viable to visit a place before moving, especially if the move is across multiple states.

I think you gather as much information you can about a place, ferret out job leads and go there willing to do anything to make it work. For those in situations with out savings, a support network, and who are caught in a sinking ship; those that are able to go on only if nothing goes wrong, i.e. car breaking, getting sick, unexpected bills popping up, have to take the chance.

I know I'm going to have to make a move like that. I'm in an apartment above a garage in a townhouse that's getting foreclosed on. At any moment I can get a paper saying I have x many days to move out. The construction I'm lucky to be doing right now can disappear at any moment. My jobs dependent on my boss's temperment. I'm hoping I can make it into february when I may get some money back in taxes.

I've read articles saying that the worst of the recession is behind us, that things are looking up and improving. Well not where I live. Not in my hosue. I don't know who these people are writing these articles but from what I see and the people I know, things are still getting worse.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times
You guys are brave. But what you're saying does make a lot of sense with the bad economy in many areas right now.

I do think the economy may be improving here just a tiny bit. Our unemployment rate did drop a little. But you can go through the classifieds and employment is extremely skimpy right now. You are wise to wait until Feb. if you can because springtime generally brings more jobs.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM

46 posts, read 120,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You guys are brave. But what you're saying does make a lot of sense with the bad economy in many areas right now.

I do think the economy may be improving here just a tiny bit. Our unemployment rate did drop a little. But you can go through the classifieds and employment is extremely skimpy right now. You are wise to wait until Feb. if you can because springtime generally brings more jobs.
And, knock on wood, a tax return from Uncle Sam. I hate hoping on money I don't have in hand or may not have in hand, but February is the time I'm looking forward too.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 PM

479 posts, read 1,549,320 times
Some good news? (from the Aberdeen American News)

Brown County is the fourth least economically stressed county in the country, according to The Associated Press Economic Stress Index.

The index ranked counties with populations of more than 25,000 people.

Brookings and Lincoln counties in South Dakota also made the least-stressed list at No. 5 and 15, respectively.

Generally, the top 20 least-stressed list consisted of counties in the Midwest, while the most-stressed were mostly in the West.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 PM

948 posts, read 2,780,329 times
I think it's like drowning 20 ft of water instead of 30 ft - air quality is the same - and the closer you get to the top the harder it gets - until people can at least bob their heads above the h20 now and then its going to feel like your swimming with ankle weights on.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM

142 posts, read 306,523 times
Brown County may look promising by numbers, but I'd still caution anyone that it's not exactly the land of opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I realize that things are MUCH worse elsewhere and I'm thankful it's not so bad here. The local housing market seems very overinflated though and that's not a good match for the bulk of the available jobs which are at or close to minimum wage. A person relocating to or within the state could make a much better life in Sioux Falls than in Aberdeen right now.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM

608 posts, read 920,334 times
In regards to the terrible job situation within South Dakota and most of the USA: I know this may not be for everybody, but I can tell you from personal knowledge the Halliburton, Schlumberger, BJ Services, Sanjel, and Unit Petrol are all in desperate need of help right now. I live near Rapid City, but work in the oilfields in western ND and eastern MT. (In our line of work we go 2 weeks on, 1 week off, so I can live where I want.) Even inexperienced employees in the oilfield services make 50-75 thousand a year. Anyone on this forum that can handle a 2 on 1 off schedule, is willing to get a CDL, or if not willing-has a college degree, isn't afraid to get dirty and work outdoors, and likes $ and benefits can be immediately hired! I'm not kidding about this! There is still abundant, high paying work to be had in the Dakotas.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 PM

692 posts, read 1,701,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
In regards to the terrible job situation within South Dakota and most of the USA: I know this may not be for everybody, but I can tell you from personal knowledge the Halliburton, Schlumberger, BJ Services, Sanjel, and Unit Petrol are all in desperate need of help right now. I live near Rapid City, but work in the oilfields in western ND and eastern MT. (In our line of work we go 2 weeks on, 1 week off, so I can live where I want.) Even inexperienced employees in the oilfield services make 50-75 thousand a year. Anyone on this forum that can handle a 2 on 1 off schedule, is willing to get a CDL, or if not willing-has a college degree, isn't afraid to get dirty and work outdoors, and likes $ and benefits can be immediately hired! I'm not kidding about this! There is still abundant, high paying work to be had in the Dakotas.
i sent you a pm

Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,599,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
That sounds appealing. I was thinking Gillette and working at one of the mines... My niece made excellent money this summer and Christmas running haul trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota