Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times

Advertisements

I must add that I have electric heat though. However, Western SD still has very low utilities. That one's for you Debey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I must add that I have electric heat though. However, Western SD still has very low utilities. That one's for you Debey!
thought so.................

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,664 times
I saw this on Keloland today. Some cities are worse than others but I think that is because of the population base and if a big manufacturer closes or layoffs then it affects them more.....
News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa

Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
I saw this on Keloland today. Some cities are worse than others but I think that is because of the population base and if a big manufacturer closes or layoffs then it affects them more.....
News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa
Those stats confuse me. It has Mitchell down at 5.1% and previously they said that Mitchell had hit 6.7%. Last week they had an article in our paper that said it was 4. something and that was very strange. I'm also confused about Huron's unemployment rate. I didn't realize they had jobs up there.

Interesting article though and as a state, we're still below the national average.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM

415 posts, read 972,612 times
Even Statistics, Like Polls can be Lied about to make people feel better or to make them feel worse.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Interesting article from The Argus Liar...............

Quote:
At the end of last year, overdue property taxes in Minnehaha and Lincoln counties totaled $6 million, and a lingering recession is threatening to increase that total soon.
County officials disagree on collecting back property taxes | argusleader.com | Argus Leader

Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post

I sometimes wonder if South Dakota would be better off with a low income tax, something around 3-4% of income and reduce property taxes significantly. One nice thing about an income tax is it is based on one's ability to pay.

The property taxes, especially in Lincoln county, are horribly high and an income tax would get withheld right away like the federal taxes. One thing that South Dakota can do is have a homestead exemption that would give homeowners a little break on income taxes.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I sometimes wonder if South Dakota would be better off with a low income tax, something around 3-4% of income and reduce property taxes significantly. One nice thing about an income tax is it is based on one's ability to pay.

The property taxes, especially in Lincoln county, are horribly high and an income tax would get withheld right away like the federal taxes. One thing that South Dakota can do is have a homestead exemption that would give homeowners a little break on income taxes.
A state income tax might be something the state will eventually have to look at. We were actually broke until we got the Stimulus money and that won't be a regular thing.

I can't remember the specifics of this, but we do sort of get a homestead exemption. When lottery was allowed, we got something like a one third break in our taxes.

We also used to have a personal property tax until the late 70s so that's also a possibility in the future. I hated that tax even though it wasn't an awful lot because we didn't own a lot at that time. (Well, not now either.) But it just seemed like a pain to have to pay a tax on your couch and chair and tv and kitchen table, etc. Some states do still have it though.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...rbes-list.html

Just thought you may find this interesting. It's in the NC forum and the link mentions Sx. Falls in a very positive light.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Mitchell jobless rate drop could be concern |* The Daily Republic *| Mitchell, South Dakota (http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/articles/index.cfm?id=32600&section=News - broken link)

This was in our local newspaper yesterday and thought it may be of interest for anyone looking at our area. Not sure how much faith I have in these stats cause I don't see job growth here, but I'll just let someone else deciper it all. Today the new national stats came out. The unemployment rate went from 8.1% to 8.5%. CNN said it's now the highest it's been for the past 25 years.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 AM

Gehl, in Yankton laid off 30 more ppl this week, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota