U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 41,319 times

Advertisements

I was born in Eastern CO, raised in CA and I'm ready to get out soon! with my wife (in 2-3 years). I've read a lot of other states' forums and Soth Dakota's forum seems to have the nicest people in it and you all seem very helpful. My grandparents moved here from near Sioux Falls and I think our family reunion is held near there. I am a Norweigen Lutheran but I don't like Lutefisk! I'm going to train to become a police officer starting at the end of summer in California and I want to find a nice medium sized community where I can protect and serve the community. We want to find an area where we can raise a family and blend in. We consider ourselves nice, hardworking, simple people. When my parents moved us to California I never felt like I fit in. I know people say that people are pretty much the same when you really get to know them... but I don't think this is true. We want to live in a community with less than 40k residents but I think my wife is a little affraid of living in a town with less than 2 thousand residents.

My wife has never lived around tornadoes or anywhere they have real weather. She would like to know how many tornadoes you encounter and how dangerous they are? In general how nice/welcoming are people? How do people tend to drive (California drivers are crazy)? What is the culture like? If we try to fit in will we be accepted into the community? Also how are the schools?

Oh yeah and we are in our early 20s but have no need for a night life. We are outdoor early morning type people and actually find there is more to do in towns than there is in a big city. Thank you for your time and help.

Josh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,106,882 times
Hi Hoss - I think you are headed in the right direction. South Dakota has weather issues... and that's just about ALL it has in the way of negatives. On the positive side of the ledger, the people are as nice in person as they are on this forum. They are genuine, take time for you, will be very helpful, and you'll feel welcomed the first day. I'll let the current residents guide you in regards to your exact moving needs. But as a South Dakota girl who moved, I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could click my heels and just be there. I grew up there and remember 2 tornadoes. I remember some horrific snow storms ... but the funny thing about that is this: if you are raising kids there, the weather and the friendliness combine to teach your kids resilience, resourcefulness, self-reliance, and critical thinking skills. You just don't see that very much these days. I would say go for it, and don't wait 2-3 years! Good luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:09 PM

71 posts, read 189,854 times
You really dont have to worry about tornados. I have lived in the south central part of the state all my life and have been thru tornados. Granted if a tornado warning is issued then take shelter but it something I wouldnt worry about. We have thunderstorms and blizzards but its part of our state and makes it all the more interesting. Just use common sense. You and your wife would love it here. Come for a vacation before you move and check out all parts of the state. Any where in the state you will find yourself being greeted with a smile.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 36,079,479 times
Hi Josh and we want to thank you for the compliments. And yes, the people are as friendly in person as on this forum. Maybe it's because we don't live in a high population/high crime area of the country so we can be a bit more relaxed around others and be more trusting? I dunno.

I agree with your wife~she probably wouldn't be that comfy in a town of under 2,000 people. Our state is divided by the Mo. River and you can decide if you'd rather live East River or West River. Both are nice, but the Black Hills region is the most beautiful area IMHO. Oh, and I'm not biased cause that's not the area I live in.

Since your family originated in Sx. Falls, you can use that as a starting point in your search. It's grown considerably since they lived here. I don't know if you've seen this site, but you can navigate to all the different towns and figure out where you'd like to be. Sioux Falls is the largest city in our state followed by Rapid City and they're at opposite ends of the state. You may also consider Mitchell, Yankton, Aberdeen, Huron, Watertown, etc.

//www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-...th-Dakota.html

The stats for tornadoes are also listed on the site. We do have them, but you'd just have to create a plan. You could either go to your basement or find out where your city shelters are, etc. They can be dangerous, but they're not a common occurrence.

Good luck in your search and once you have a targeted area, we'll all be happy to help you any way that we can.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 36,549 times
Well, you only have like 3-4 choices for cities with populations between 2000-40,000. Happy hunting. As far as weather severity goes (i moved to this area from Oregon when i was 7 the first big storm i was in thought i was gonna die-by the time i was old enough to drive i was out chasing them!), the Missouri River tends to disrupt airflows/fronts, as well as the gradual drop in elevation on the eastern side. Thus, severe summer weather can be a bit more explosive and sudden in places like Pierre, Mobridge or Chamberlain. Hence the expression, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." Another question: Do you like wind? Because there's rarely a still day throughout the year. There's a wide range of weather, it'll get up to 115 in Pierre in the summer (add humidity) and down to -10 in the winter (add windchill). I infer you are avid outdoors-people and I hope you find the weather challenging. It makes up for the dreary lack of scenery.
As far as fitting in goes i think you'll find it just about like you will anywhere else in the world. Just be a good neighbor like the good book says! I have yet to find an anti-Lutheran strain in midwestern folk so I think you'll do fine. Um-you may find sioux falls to be a healthy market for your services but I wouldn't recommend it, lifestyle-wise. I'm in my mid20s and i think you'd find a lot of turn-offs with people our age in that city. Very narcissistic and suburban-value-system, for lack of a better word. Lack of culture in the city, amazingly. And people cannot drive here. Accept it, and use the force.
I guess the only other concern I'd raise is if you are planning to have kids, public education is an absolute mess in SD. Some communities may be better than others, but it's kind of sad overall. I'll let you do your own research--i speak from experience managing younger people, Im continually apalled at how many dropouts i meet and what i hear from "good students" alike. Once again, this is the Sioux Falls side of things and probably doesn't reflect the whole state.
Safe travels!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM

400 posts, read 1,194,866 times
Default I Agree

The post immediately above mine is very accurate.

I have lived in SD most of my life, small towns to the biggest city in the state. The people are friendly, considerate, helpful and just all around good people. The weather isn't a huge concern for most of us on a regular basis, unless it's winter and we're freezing and scraping windows. In the summers, we occasionally get tornadoes, mostly just huge thunderstorms that are great to watch. In nearly 35 years, I've been near a few tornadoes but never seen one except on the news. Mostly it's the cold we're interested in, how cold? how much snow? how bad of wind chills? You'll understand if you move here. But, (and I say this painfully, cuz I want warm, year-round) it's gorgeous, it does provide some serious outdoors fun (skiing, snowboarding, sledding, tubing), and makes the new drivers in our fair state learn some serious defensive driving techniques.

I love the lifestyle here, now if it was just warmer. (Sorry, I'm one of the official "winter whiners")

As for places to live: Sioux Falls is the biggest city, it's where I currently live, and I want out. I would much rather be in one of the smaller towns just outside of the city, close enough to work but far enough to have better schools and less teen troubles (sorry, I also have a 13 year old and he goes to public school). Brandon would probably be a choice to check out, Renner is a nice little town, Baltic too. Haven't been south or farther east than Valley Springs (which seems nice enough).
Personally, I would rather live west river myself. The black hills are phenomenally beautiful, lots to do, better weather (because you're a bit warmer and not as windy).
North (Aberdeen), great schools, not a bad place to live, not for me. Lots more opportunity in other parts of the state but a nice place to raise your kids.

If ever we can be of help here on the SD forum, just let us know.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM

400 posts, read 1,194,866 times
oh, BTW - just talked to my M-I-L who lives in Aberdeen - they have almost gotten rid of all their snow. We were near 70 degrees today - in my M-I-L's words "You Suck"

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,197,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboots4 View Post
Well, you only have like 3-4 choices for cities with populations between 2000-40,000. Happy hunting. As far as weather severity goes (i moved to this area from Oregon when i was 7 the first big storm i was in thought i was gonna die-by the time i was old enough to drive i was out chasing them!), the Missouri River tends to disrupt airflows/fronts, as well as the gradual drop in elevation on the eastern side. Thus, severe summer weather can be a bit more explosive and sudden in places like Pierre, Mobridge or Chamberlain. Hence the expression, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." Another question: Do you like wind? Because there's rarely a still day throughout the year. There's a wide range of weather, it'll get up to 115 in Pierre in the summer (add humidity) and down to -10 in the winter (add windchill). I infer you are avid outdoors-people and I hope you find the weather challenging. It makes up for the dreary lack of scenery.
As far as fitting in goes i think you'll find it just about like you will anywhere else in the world. Just be a good neighbor like the good book says! I have yet to find an anti-Lutheran strain in midwestern folk so I think you'll do fine. Um-you may find sioux falls to be a healthy market for your services but I wouldn't recommend it, lifestyle-wise. I'm in my mid20s and i think you'd find a lot of turn-offs with people our age in that city. Very narcissistic and suburban-value-system, for lack of a better word. Lack of culture in the city, amazingly. And people cannot drive here. Accept it, and use the force.
I guess the only other concern I'd raise is if you are planning to have kids, public education is an absolute mess in SD. Some communities may be better than others, but it's kind of sad overall. I'll let you do your own research--i speak from experience managing younger people, Im continually apalled at how many dropouts i meet and what i hear from "good students" alike. Once again, this is the Sioux Falls side of things and probably doesn't reflect the whole state.
Safe travels!
3-4 choices for cities between 2,000 and 40,000? I don't think so!

I've found public education in Sioux Falls top notch, as well as South Dakota. South Dakota has one of the highest graduation rates. How do you manage young people in the public education system?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:35 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,166,623 times
Overall, I'd say you would fit in better in the Black Hills region than East River. If you enjoy small towns with an outdoor scene you should look at Spearfish, Hill City, or Hot Springs. Maybe even Rapid City although it's much larger than what you specified.

The Black Hills weather is almost identical to the weather you grew up with in Colorado. Dry, mild, and sunny.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM

16 posts, read 41,319 times
Thank you for all the responses. With the towns my wife just does not want to have to drive an hour to get groceries and wants decent schools. Does anyone know the quality of schools in SD compared to California. In high school I had a buddy who moved from Wyoming and he said what we were learning our freshman year he learned in middle school. Also in high school I would have to say something like 70-80% of my class was using or had tried drugs, I personally knew 3 drug dealers, and the police had a drug dog just for the high school.

I was wondering if you feel like you make enough to have a decent life? I'm not talking over the top but I also don't want to struggle to feed my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota