Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:22 PM

71 posts, read 199,002 times

Advertisements

Hi All Has anyone tried to reply to an ad on craigslist? If the for sale ads dont have a phone number or the persons personal e-mail addy then there is only the craigslist e-mail addy. I have tried to use it but I get no reply back from the persons ad. I have tried many ways of sending to the email addy but and it seems to send but I get no response back from those posting the ad. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 06:24 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Sorry, I've never tried to contact anyone through Craigslist. The only thing I know is that you need to be cautious. It was once a very reputable place, but it sounds like the scammers have found it.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 43,492 times
I would be very careful about Craigslist. I had a friend who received a computer full of gravel from them and my wife applied for a couple of jobs on there and now receives spam emails and telemarketing calls.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
I only use Craigslist to look at apartments and it actually gives a really good idea of the COL is other places. For example, you can get a fancy 2 bed condo in Denver for about $1000 per month while the same place in San Francisco would run you about $4000.

I've tried to reply to Craigslist ads before but for some reason my e-mail won't let me. There's no wall or anything- it just won't send. By the way, South Dakota's Craigslist ads are a JOKE. You can't find anything on the SD page. It's usually just in Sioux Falls and Rapid City but those are few and far between.

However, I do like to read the personals:
"63 year old trucker seeks 23 year old blonde with similar interests. PS- no fatties"

Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I only use Craigslist to look at apartments and it actually gives a really good idea of the COL is other places. For example, you can get a fancy 2 bed condo in Denver for about $1000 per month while the same place in San Francisco would run you about $4000.

I've tried to reply to Craigslist ads before but for some reason my e-mail won't let me. There's no wall or anything- it just won't send. By the way, South Dakota's Craigslist ads are a JOKE. You can't find anything on the SD page. It's usually just in Sioux Falls and Rapid City but those are few and far between.

However, I do like to read the personals:
"63 year old trucker seeks 23 year old blonde with similar interests. PS- no fatties"
Danny, dear, it sounds like you need to get out more! Just how bored do you have to be before you resort to reading the CL personals??

Here in our area, I have had pretty good luck selling things on CL, but I live in a larger urban area - I would imagine it would be harder in a more rural setting...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM

71 posts, read 199,002 times
Yeah I knew it had its problems.I only look at ads from here in the state. I found a pickup I was interested in but I couldnt contact him because of the email. If they include a phone number or personal email then its no problem. I guess people that put ads on there will have to do that or they wont be contacted. I sure see things I would like to purchase from people but can not contact them. Very frustrating!!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my02ctd View Post
Yeah I knew it had its problems.I only look at ads from here in the state. I found a pickup I was interested in but I couldnt contact him because of the email. If they include a phone number or personal email then its no problem. I guess people that put ads on there will have to do that or they wont be contacted. I sure see things I would like to purchase from people but can not contact them. Very frustrating!!
The way CL has things set up is that when you place an ad, you have the choice not to publish your personal info (IMO, a wise choice). They set up a "blind" email that is redirected to your personal email address. However, if the person who placed the ad isn't paying attention, his spam filters might be targeting responses as "junk" and filing them accordingly. If he isn't checking his junk mail folder before dumping it, he may be missing all the replies to his ads. Just speaking from personal experience here - I have had it happen!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Luckily, a lot of people display their e-mail addresses or put their phone number in by letter (IE: six, zero, five, three,------) I always think that's a good idea.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
I am selling all of my baby items on Craigslist - I'm sure they receive your email - maybe the item is sold already. I get a ton of replies so my guess is they are going through!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,007 times
A little common sense goes a long ways on Craigslist. Especially the employment sections of it from what I have saw. And I believe most people can pick up on the scams on there.

I have purchased a couple vehicles off of Craigslist out of state. And was more than pleased. Also sold quite a few items on it with no problems. I have learned not to put any personal info on your ad, such as phone # or personal email addy. Its just best not to post the personal contact info, you are just giving a people a chance to use your phone # or email on the net.

I always reply to an email I get on my listed products whether sold or not. I try to delete them as soon as they are sold also. I hate it when you reply to an ad there and you receive no reply.

Last edited by Sandhills Guru; 03-17-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota