Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times

Advertisements

I prefer KELO........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 AM

59 posts, read 129,644 times
Thumbs up Kelo

Thanks Jammie and Debey. I kind of got that impression during my apartment hunting trip. I'll make them my first go-to for weather (other than the Internet).

Tomorrow I leave at 4 a.m. for Sioux Falls. Exciting to say the least.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbear62 View Post
Thanks Jammie and Debey. I kind of got that impression during my apartment hunting trip. I'll make them my first go-to for weather (other than the Internet).

Tomorrow I leave at 4 a.m. for Sioux Falls. Exciting to say the least.
OMG, I hope you had a good trip and that you are enjoying Sx. Falls. It's still pretty around here yet so your timing is perfect!!! Well, except for our weather forecast.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,230 times
Hey!

Guess what?

It's snowing!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Hey!

Guess what?

It's snowing!

Has the temp dropped drastically yet? We started snowing here about midnight and it was 32 degrees. By 6am it was 24. At noon it was 20. Right now it's 19 and supposed to hit 1 by midnight tonight.

Usually what we get, you get about 15 hours later.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:39 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Has the temp dropped drastically yet? We started snowing here about midnight and it was 32 degrees. By 6am it was 24. At noon it was 20. Right now it's 19 and supposed to hit 1 by midnight tonight.

Yup - we are at 18, and we expect to hit 0 sometime tonight! (-7 to -15 w/windchill)

Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Oh Jammie, I know exactly what you are talking about. I came up here last January to look at The U and to buy a car and I wish I would have come at a different time. The highest it got was 5 degrees. My mom made us take a special trip to the Mall of America so she could buy thermals! I'm definitely NOT looking forward to this winter but luckily most of The U is connected by tunnels. However, I live about a mile from campus and I have on-street parking. It's gonna be a PAIN!!!
Yer gonna have to buy one of those astronaut blanket looking things that straps over the windshield to keep the snow from piling too high. And then go buy a battery operated hair dryer. Oh, and that should work on the key, too. Gosh I remember all this from living in Madison. Dad would go out and clear off the car, start it, and go inside for coffee. Then he'd come out and the snow plow had been by and his car was covered again. I remember one winter when the snow drift was right outside my second story window. We had a short-lived snowball fight till Mom came in and smacked us once or twice. I didn't mind being given a time out in my room... I just opened the window again and played with the icicles hanging from the eaves.

I know it can be miserable. But so can 120 degrees in the desert. I am missing Fall and Winter. I would love to visit the Hills for Thanksgiving. Wonder if I'll be out of the dang neck brace in time to go?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Default What a difference Longitude makes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Today, in North Phoenix, it is 82º at 3pm. It was 59º this morning at 8am. It will stay in the seventies till around midnite. Then start to cool off. The miles of asphalt and concrete in this valley keep the heat in. But this is our first truly wonderful week since last May 31. So we are happy campers. The snowbirds are not flocking here in as many numbers, though. Weird.
I did spot my first squirrel of the season, and your birds are starting to show up. That's kind of cool. I have a whole new flock of hummingbirds stopping by.

I miss your weather, though. Must be my brain starting to get me ready to finally move back to the Hills. I can smell Autumn at Rapid Creek just thinking about it.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
We had a fairly decent day and then the winds came up. We got a bit of snow/ice and our windchill dropped down to 14 degrees. Fortunately, the wind has let up a bit and it's 30 with a windchill of 19.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,438 times
Today was 85 with a predicted low of 56. So much for the 38 degrees the other night. Unlike Phoenix we have cool nights and it is not unheard of to be in the low 20s during January.

One year when it really chilled, it dropped down to just above zero. The main gas line to town froze up so we were all without gas for a couple hours. We fired up the fire place and huddled round.

I do like Phoenix (where I was born) but I sure don't miss the scorching days and warm evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota