Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,471 times

Advertisements

really, just PAY the ticket. The fact that you're even thinking of bailing and not paying doesn't make you sound like a very good person. It's just $90, if you can't afford that, you shouldn't have been speeding.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
a warning, is not a ticket! it is, I saw you, and, don't do it anymore! Then it does go away!
A ticket, why not call, the department where it was issued? If the guy gave you a break, and
it does go on your record, suffer and sent in the money! Or if you can go to court, sure, however, the cop, may give out the real speed? Toss the dice! I would say thanks, and pay the fine!
um, the person that said it was a warning was being sarcastic.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
Not paying it would be dumb for the many reasons others have pointed out but I have another reason to pay it. It could lower your credit score (if reported) and that could mess up your chances of buying or renting.
My advice would be to just pay the fine. You're lucky you didn't speed in Montana, with out of state plates you would have had to pay the fine on the spot or wait out a court hearing in jail.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
It all depends. Did the speed limit sign say speeding is OK if you haven't passed any cars in fifteen minutes, or you are in a really boring place in the middle of nowhere..!??
After you return to Michigan and graduate from college, you might someday want to get a job. The potential employer will do a complete background check on you, including a credit history. When they don't hire you because of your $90 ticket, you might want to send in a check real fast...
With the innernet, you can't even get away with sneezing without it showing up on a back ground check, and EVERY business does a background check today...

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I don't drive like an old lady either. I got a warning for speeding a few years ago. BUT that's in town. I don't like to drive so I rarely drive on the interstate anymore. DH does the driving.

BUT I well remember being young and loving to drive and speed limits didn't deter me either. But there really are places where speeding is dangerous and construction sites are one of those places. Aren't the fines double there? There was a gal from Mitchell who was working on a construction site at Kennebec and she and her fiance were killed a few years ago. I believe she held the signs and her fiance was a worker there and someone was speeding and lost control. That cured me from speeding in construction zones.
Jammie, that's horrible to hear. Speeding in construction zones is a bad, bad idea. I think the fines are double. Sometimes they'll post a sign saying that, but usually not. When I go through construction zones in other states, I find this "Fines Doubled" sign posted more often.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM

87 posts, read 333,036 times
Default Pay the ticket

Pay the $90 ticket and get it over with! My wife got a speeding ticket from the New York State Police in upstate New York (by the Canadian border) several years ago. Since we live in New Jersey, she decided to not pay it (against my advice). When she went for her NJ driver license renewal (our Iowa licenses were exchanged long ago), the DMV not only refused to renew it because of the unpaid ticket, they referred her to a NJ State trooper assigned to the DMV office. (it was a Regional DMV facility) The trooper told her that NY had issued an arrest warrant for her but fortunately it was not an extraditable offense and that she was only subject to arrest in New York state.

The bottom line is that it we/she had to retain a NY lawyer in the county of the offense, go to court about 6 hours away in person, pay the fine and penalty, get certified copies of the paid judgement and bring them to a state police barracks to have the arrest removed from the computer system. All thanks to an unpaid speeding ticket.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher502SPC View Post
So I was driving through No-where, South Dakota (literally in the middle of 50-100 sq. miles of pure prairie) on a straightaway that had to be at least fifty miles long (still not exaggerating). I was by myself, meaning I hadn't passed or seen a car on the road for about fifteen minutes. Anyway, a cop was coming in the opposite direction and lasered me from probably a mile away or so and saw that I was going 13 over. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 5 over or something arbitrary like that.

Anyway, I've only been in SD for a month and a half, and am only here for another couple of weeks and then I'm leaving the country for three months before settling into college back home in Michigan (the state of my legal residence). Now, honestly, do I have to pay this $90 bad boy?
OK after reading all the post , I would as i instruct all who ask of me . What to do . first what the cop gave you and you signed was a "NOTICE TO APPEAR" , your promiss to appear in court on that day , (2) you do know that constitutionaly you are alway's inocent untill proven "GUILTY" so go to court on that day and make the cop prove you are guilty of a crime ! HOW do you do that ??? You demand that a verified complaint be filed on the NOTICE TO APPEAR. That is your garrenteed right as an American. You do this at your Arraignment. NOW the big problem for the Cop is that without an injured person there is no case for the court to look at ! also if the judge say's the Notice to Appear is the complaint *** Look at the Officer so called signature , ( it is not a signature ) it is spelled with all capitol letters . That is not (by law ) a signature , so the cop has filed with the court a false document . It goes on and on . got to court the cop most likely won't be there . if he is remember what i have said here . It works in any state . DM me if you need more of an explaination.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
OK after reading all the post , I would as i instruct all who ask of me . What to do . first what the cop gave you and you signed was a "NOTICE TO APPEAR" , your promiss to appear in court on that day , (2) you do know that constitutionaly you are alway's inocent untill proven "GUILTY" so go to court on that day and make the cop prove you are guilty of a crime ! HOW do you do that ??? You demand that a verified complaint be filed on the NOTICE TO APPEAR. That is your garrenteed right as an American. You do this at your Arraignment. NOW the big problem for the Cop is that without an injured person there is no case for the court to look at ! also if the judge say's the Notice to Appear is the complaint *** Look at the Officer so called signature , ( it is not a signature ) it is spelled with all capitol letters . That is not (by law ) a signature , so the cop has filed with the court a false document . It goes on and on . got to court the cop most likely won't be there . if he is remember what i have said here . It works in any state . DM me if you need more of an explaination.
That's what my dad does on all of his traffic offenses. Always seems a little seedy to me but it gets the charges dropped. I just pay my fine and go on with my life. Doing all that is just too much hassle, but hey, it works.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
That's what my dad does on all of his traffic offenses. Always seems a little seedy to me but it gets the charges dropped. I just pay my fine and go on with my life. Doing all that is just too much hassle, but hey, it works.
BUT ! Don't you think it's worth fighting for your constitutional rights ? You have heard of "If you don't use it , you will loose it " ? same goes here .

Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,494,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
1. take day off from work
2. probably travel, back to location, that OP descrobes as
Quote:
No-where, South Dakota
3. probably, the $90 fine is less money, than lost wages, and travel expense.
4. There are speed limits, for reasons.

To the OP: I am grateful, you weren't traveling,thru No Where, durring harvest, or spring planting season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota